Premium bonds.

samboy

They are dead easy and the return seems ok. I seem to get about £500 a year but my other half has had 2 £1000 wins in the last 2 years plus the extra so well above the usual return.  
The plus points are it’s easy to get money in and out, returns are tax free and you could win the big one. 

When I left the military a good few years back we put my one off payment into the bonds while we waited to buy a house (just the deposit not the house before anyone thinks I am rich :) ).  I tracked the winnings over 3 years, and we beat the best 3 year fixed no risk investment from a bank or building society, and totally smashed anything that had the same flexibility as the bonds (i.e cash available within 4 weeks).  We just saw it as a nice safe investment with the potential for a big win if we were lucky.

Started buying premium bonds approx. 25 yrs ago stopped paying insurance on the dogs and used the money to buy the bonds as luck would have it I have never drawn on the bonds for the dogs health always found the money without doing so . For me it has been a good way to save and to date havn't done to bad at winning mostly £25  ended up receiving more winnings than saving account interest.

Edited by scutt

On 17/05/2020 at 07:45, Dave-G said:

Would it be too rude to ask the size of the investment?

Also - if say 5K were to be invested would they all be consecutive numbers for easy checking?

There was between 4-5k in there at the time, there’s a bit more in there now. As someone else mentioned you don’t have to check the individual numbers, you just get an email when you win or you can check Yourself using your membership number or phone app. 

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to buy some recently but my account was locked. Tried to unlock via the phone service but as I had changed address since I was registered they wouldn’t accept it. Needed to be sent forms that I need to return and get processed. I doubt whether it will be sorted out in time so I can invest this month (which would mean being included in August draw). Palaver. 

On 20/05/2020 at 12:03, scimitar said:

I worked with someone who had £50,000 invested in bonds. He did have other investments but saw the bonds as a no risk safe place to put away a bit cash that could be accessed easily if needed. 

This. The website is very easy to use and you can sell easily. We get £25 most months, £50 regularly and £100+ every now and then. This beats the current rubbish interest rates elsewhere. Our financial advisor recommends as a safe and accessible place for spare cash.