Holts Sealed Bid - Rusty Beretta's?

CaptC

Can anyone shed any light on the Beretta shotguns coming up in the next Holts Sealed Bid auction (June 11th) which are all quite rusty and have damaged woodwork? They look like they have been found buried somewhere. Tempted with a 12 bore as a "project" but if the barrels are so rusted externally there is a good chance that the chokes will be solid in the muzzles the woodwork would not be a problem.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Ring them and ask if the chokes are seized in. It’s a reasonable question and my guess that they would say if they were. They get paid to sell and must not mislead so are pretty fair in their descriptions of anything I have bought from them although I have always viewed.

Thanks - I did contact them but had no reply. Put it down to be short staffed as I have always found them helpful in the past

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have emailed them in the past but never replied, hence i never bothered to make bid

Hello Gordon - I had a feeling, possibly untrue that the "lower end" guns do not merit a reply. As they have 200 plus in their Sealed bid auction the number of questions must outway a reply?

10 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Hello Gordon - I had a feeling, possibly untrue that the "lower end" guns do not merit a reply. As they have 200 plus in their Sealed bid auction the number of questions must outway a reply?

hello Paul, you maybe right on those that have not sold at auction then put on sealed bidding, i was looking at a cheap pump that was unsold after a few emails i never bothered to enquire more

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello Paul, you maybe right on those that have not sold at auction then put on sealed bidding, i was looking at a cheap pump that was unsold after a few emails i never bother to enquire more

I was intrigued by the number of Beretta's that are in the sale all with rust and woodwork damage! 

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, which one are you looking at ?

All of them but put off by the rust (please see pictures) With modern chemicals (Metal Rescue is good) you would have some nasty pitting and of course £100 plus to reblack the barrels

3 minutes ago, CaptC said:

All of them but put off by the rust (please see pictures) With modern chemicals (Metal Rescue is good) you would have some nasty pitting and of course £100 plus to reblack the barrels

hello, i see now, some are quite rusty on barrels, you may get the rust off but could leave some serious pitting, they are sold as working shotguns so the internal bores should be ok,  

6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i see now, some are quite rusty on barrels, you may get the rust off but could leave some serious pitting, they are sold as working shotguns so the internal bores should be ok,  

The chokes would probably be seized? A lot of work!

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you maybe right, depends what they sell for or not ? you could wait after bidding and see if any not sold

A very sensible suggestion Gordon - But where did they all come from? 

1 minute ago, DUNKS said:

Not many chokes will resist a weeks soak in 50/50 ATF and turps.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is ATF?

12 minutes ago, CaptC said:

A very sensible suggestion Gordon - But where did they all come from? 

Please excuse my ignorance but what is ATF?

hello, thats an interesting question, maybe from a closed down gun shop that was left a long time to dispose of stock, i suppose if you purchased one cheap enough and only surface rust but in good working order it may not take much work to re do barrels, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

11 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thats an interesting question, maybe from a closed down gun shop that was left a long time to dispose of stock, i suppose if you purchased one cheap enough and only surface rust but in good working order it may not take much work to re do barrels, 

The shop must have had a leaky roof and very careless staff!