Holts Sealed Bid - Rusty Beretta's?

CaptC

6 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I had a Winchester 1897 with a twenty inch barrel. Ex-RIC. Back when these things, pump action shotguns with barrels under twenty-four inches, were s1 and not s5. Before Thatcher decided we weren't to be trusted. It was quite an interesting toy. 

I had a Browning semi-auto with a 13" barrel, they wouldn't let me take it clay shooting unfortunately! Now that was interesting with 5 shots of old eley 6s.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/05/2020 at 05:58, CaptC said:

Can anyone shed any light on the Beretta shotguns coming up in the next Holts Sealed Bid auction (June 11th) which are all quite rusty and have damaged woodwork? They look like they have been found buried somewhere. Tempted with a 12 bore as a "project" but if the barrels are so rusted externally there is a good chance that the chokes will be solid in the muzzles the woodwork would not be a problem.

I used to work for Holts at one time and to be honest its a complete lottery.

I would never buy a gun from them unseen, I got burned so many times and i worked for them! But as Holts have hundreds, if not thousands of guns to value and assess, often they simply don't have the time to check every single item.

Unless you can physically handle and look at it I would be very cautious, the sealed bids are a complete gamble, Nicky is a lovely chap but buyer beware!

19 minutes ago, Discontinued said:

I would never buy a gun from them unseen, I got burned so many times and i worked for them! But as Holts have hundreds, if not thousands of guns to value and assess, often they simply don't have the time to check every single item.

Unless you can physically handle and look at it I would be very cautious, the sealed bids are a complete gamble, Nicky is a lovely chap but buyer beware!

Interesting.

Welcome to Pigeon Watch.

5 hours ago, Discontinued said:

I have bought 6 or 7 lots from the sealed bid auctions and have always been very pleased ,but have always been mindful that for what I was happy to risk money wise on an unseen lot I should not expect too much.

On 17/05/2020 at 05:58, CaptC said:

Can anyone shed any light on the Beretta shotguns coming up in the next Holts Sealed Bid auction (June 11th) which are all quite rusty and have damaged woodwork? They look like they have been found buried somewhere. Tempted with a 12 bore as a "project" but if the barrels are so rusted externally there is a good chance that the chokes will be solid in the muzzles the woodwork would not be a problem.

Importers have to get rid of guns that have been damaged , returned under guarantee  . What better place than an auction as people will, know they are buying a problem , no come back to the seller . Over time I have seen numerous examples of this and some times the same guns going through the sales several times .

This is a case of BUYER BE WARE .

On 28/05/2020 at 10:32, Discontinued said:

Could you explain the estimated cost please? Is this what they believe they will sell for? What they want to get? or their way of setting a price? Also are there reserves? I didn’t notice. Cheers 

Never buy a car or a gun or a wife - unseen.

10 hours ago, Lampwick said:

Could you explain the estimated cost please? Is this what they believe they will sell for? What they want to get? or their way of setting a price? Also are there reserves? I didn’t notice. Cheers 

The Estimated Cost is,  generally,  the reserve,  or the minimum which the vendor,  will accept.