White stork.

twenty

I saw one drifting over this village two years ago and posted about it on this forum. I made contact with the Lincolnshire Bird Club and their reply was ‘unlikely’. I note in the same organisations 2018 report that single White Storks had been seen over the county.

Edited by JDog

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

I saw one drifting over this village two years ago and posted about it on this forum. I made contact with the Lincolnshire Bird Club and their reply was ‘unlikely’. I note in the same organisations 2018 report that single White Storks had been seen over the county.

The pair that hatched this years chick, nested last year as well, but were unsuccessful.

44 minutes ago, JDog said:

It will not be long before the local Buzzard comes along and takes the chicks.

Hopefully one of the parent birds will stay at the nest on guard, while the other collects feed, and alternate.

Storks unfortunately sometimes kill their own (smaller/weaker) chicks in times of food shortage

9 minutes ago, old man said:

Very interesting. 

I had a similar response from a recorder concerning a Serin that used a seed feeder by our window for 2 days despite spottings 5 miles away by bird club members.

I don't bother to report anymore..

Yeah, unfortunately unless you are a well considered member of ' the club', I think you are dismissed as questionable/unlikely in your reporting.........which is a shame, as I would accept as true, any reports sent in by knowledgeable sources, ( perhaps with photographic evidence), however, if unbelievably rare............eg, someone reporting a gannet on  their bird table, I would understand the scepticism.  

All the best.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Obviously you're not part of the gang, which has to be in your favour! You must have been able to give them a reasonably storky description, which would have ruled out just about anything else. I wonder what they thought you'd seen if not a stork. Gt white egret? Grey heron? Griffon vulture?

Territory expansion of larger waterbirds seems to be continuing. I wonder how long it'll take for them to be established as a sustainable colony - if they're able to. Are the birds tagged/known?

46 minutes ago, old man said:

Very interesting. 

I had a similar response from a recorder concerning a Serin that used a seed feeder by our window for 2 days despite spottings 5 miles away by bird club members.

I don't bother to report anymore..

Neither do I.

Not too long ago I reported to the RSPB HQ that Hen Harriers had successfully been rearing young in North Bedfordshire for 4 or 5 years. All seen by me and an RSPB member in the village and several locals.

The RSPB response? "Not interested. There are no Hen Harriers in this region".

Fine. Up yours too - and the RSPB member cancelled his membership.

Edited by Eyefor

I saw on numerous occasions a Lesser Kestrel a few years ago, bloke came looked at photo's said yes definitely, went away an hour later rang me and said that after speaking to someone, no it wasn't. My face didn't fit.

Last year saw a Ruddy shellduck , took photos and didn't bother .

6 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Obviously you're not part of the gang, which has to be in your favour! You must have been able to give them a reasonably storky description, which would have ruled out just about anything else. I wonder what they thought you'd seen if not a stork. Gt white egret? Grey heron? Griffon vulture?

Territory expansion of larger waterbirds seems to be continuing. I wonder how long it'll take for them to be established as a sustainable colony - if they're able to. Are the birds tagged/known?

The female of this successful pair has a leg ring from Poland (2016).....the male has no tags or rings and is thought to be  one of twenty or so vagrants to visit the UK each year.

Info obtained from Knepp Estate, Sussex.

6 hours ago, JDog said:

They didn't believe that I had had a Gannet on my bird table either.

Did you send them a photo :lol:...............I believe you.

6 hours ago, old man said:

I did submit 2 photographs of the Serin but hey ho.

You still got the serin pics? I've only ever seen them abroad. lovely bird; bootiful ploomage!

8 minutes ago, twenty said:

The female of this successful pair has a leg ring from Poland (2016).....the male has no tags or rings and is thought to be  one of twenty or so vagrants to visit the UK each year.

Info obtained from Knepp Estate, Sussex.

That's good to know. If the vagrants keep returning and bringing mates with them now, that'll serve them well for the future. That'll be nice

12 hours ago, JDog said:

It will not be long before the local Buzzard comes along and takes the chicks.

Good to hear Twenty. I hope if a buzzard takes chick it's filmed and shared JDog. Interesting to read i am not the only one to of had this dismissive superior attitude from the RSPB n co when reporting rare sightings. I no longer bother either. I have had the same from local wildlife trust, bird groups and county recorder folk. I used to be a member of the RSPB and YOC as a kid. Packed them in a few year back. Corporate money grabbing hypocrites! Still like/visit my local reserve at Minsmere. It not as good as it was. Even with the 300k plus of electric predator fencing they put up after badgers were filmed raiding nests on Spring Watch. It's all about the bitterns there now. Not a single avocet chick fledged there last year and over 40 foxes were shot. I still have respect for BTO and support CRT and SBS. I had email from SBS other day, saying they are struggling and may have to wind up. I think they deserve our support if you can.         NB

9 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Good to hear Twenty. I hope if a buzzard takes chick it's filmed and shared JDog. Interesting to read i am not the only one to of had this dismissive superior attitude from the RSPB n co when reporting rare sightings. I no longer bother either. I have had the same from local wildlife trust, bird groups and county recorder folk. I used to be a member of the RSPB and YOC as a kid. Packed them in a few year back. Corporate money grabbing hypocrites! Still like/visit my local reserve at Minsmere. It not as good as it was. Even with the 300k plus of electric predator fencing they put up after badgers were filmed raiding nests on Spring Watch. It's all about the bitterns there now. Not a single avocet chick fledged there last year and over 40 foxes were shot. I still have respect for BTO and support CRT and SBS. I had email from SBS other day, saying they are struggling and may have to wind up. I think they deserve our support if you can.         NB

Yeah, I am SBS and BTO...........left the RSPB years ago, and WWT.