Joy of plinking

Mice!

This lockdown has really stifled my shooting in the garden,  I've still not done the pellet testing I want to do as the kids are about or the neighbour's are always in their garden, my pellets don't leave my garden but I'm not going to shoot for an hour or so when they are trying to enjoy themselves. 

Out of the blue my daughter asked if she could do some shooting today, absolutely darling,  it had clouded over a little and started to rain so the gardens were quiet. 

Bit of fun, paper plates and empty cans, set the rifle up on the bipod with the back end supported,  obviously having a full size rifle with young kids is hard work, had her practicing head position making sure she could see the target and keep it on target. Had her hand in the right place so she was comfortable when we were ready to shoot.

Then I loaded the rifle with the safety on, asking her to tell me if she was still on the target, she was needing to pull the stock down slightly to get on target,  safety off and asking again if she is still on target,  yes, ok shoot.

We'd gone through gently squeezing the trigger, don't snatch, when I say shoot then you squeeze the trigger. 

Tin can on a stick, first shot centre hit, second just caught the top, spinning the can off the stick, but she and I were very chuffed.

Then a few shots at the paper plate, probably about a two inch group, but I thought that was good especially when the rifle fit is very wrong, and again she needed to lift a little this time to get on target. 

Next up was the lad who had been behind us, went through the process again,  asking if he's on target, he answered yes but wasn't,  explain the cross hairs,  set him up again,  ask again and were getting better. 

He's younger and smaller,  where his head was meant having to really stretch for the trigger,  asking again are you on target,  safety off are you still on target, yes, shoot, one in the plate.

Then set him up on the can, he only had to not move the rifle, easier said than done, he pulled off the target,  told me and got it back right ish, two shots, according to him, bob on! And he pretty much was, looked better than his sister's and he made sure he told her!!

We were both well chuffed.

20200517_181816.jpg.972e3d026da751f0374a047817e787ff.jpg

Daughters can.

20200517_181758.jpg.44b30f5b0b34b50350f8270db8f5d026.jpg

Sons can.

Less than a magazines worth of pellets,  couple of empty cans and used paper plates, lots of smiling happy faces.

Think I'll be looking at junior rifles 😁😁😁

I get my kids behind some of my airguns most weekends  .

Yesterday my daughter was flipping the paddles on my 30 mm airgun target at 15 yds with the open sights of my hw30 .this is with it still in the adult stock .

Not its junior stock .she did this totally unaided by me .from a sitting position rested on her knee.

To say i was impressed is an understatement..

As for junior guns 

I think the best has to be the bsa jsr  pcp.I wish id bought one when they first came out   

A pcp is definately easier for them to work and be accurate with  .its just that they need short stock and light weight .

This is one of the reasosns I'm making the bsa bullpup  it will have a 12 inch reach to pull .and be much shorter and lighter than even a jsr ultra  

Edited by Ultrastu

Mice just get in the garden and test your pellets, what's an hour's worth of shooting in a day. 

People mow lawns strim cut hedges all create noise, get out and  enjoy your garden, neighbors probably won't notice. The right backstop so it's quiet.

Edited by figgy

42 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Yesterday my daughter was flipping the paddles on my 30 mm airgun target at 15 yds with the open sights of my hw30 .this is with it still in the adult stock .

Not its junior stock .she did this totally unaided by me .from a sitting position rested on her knee.

To say i was impressed is an understatement..

That's certainly good going. 

52 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

think the best has to be the bsa jsr  pcp

I'll have a google 👍

30 minutes ago, figgy said:

Mice just get in the garden and test your pellets, what's an hour's worth of shooting in a day. 

People mow lawns strim cut hedges all create noise, get out and  enjoy your garden, neighbors probably won't notice. The right backstop so it's quiet.

I would normally have done it on a Friday, but with us not going out as such because of the lockdown it's just not been worth it, also running low on air so I've just left it for now.

The corner I normally shoot to my neighbour has put a secluded sun trap, and their out all the time at the moment, I've just done the odd mag.

But the trigger feels a little better now after giving it a tweak.

40 minutes ago, Paul5tag said:

What’s going on here!  A can of lager for the lad and a tonic based drink for the lady! Sounds like you had a good time😃

And they say drinking and shooting don't mix 🤣

29 minutes ago, mad1 said:

Got some daft targets I'll send for you if you want them...too much time on my hands and a laser cutter too lol....

15897413957528536735651745538427.jpg

Thanks, but they'd miss those, I'll stick to tin bashing for now, success makes them happy 👍

Happiness is an old air gun and a bean tin. What age are your kids, Mice?
I taught my granddaughter six years ago when she was seven using a 1964 BSA Merlin rested on a cushion. After a few lessons she could hit bean tins  consistently at 23 yards. Lost interest now, all horses.

PS Bean tins make a much more satisfactory noise when hit as they are thicker than drinks cans.

1 minute ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Good for you K

I bet there are not many girls who can boast about their shooting skills and with your shooting acumen her awareness will go from strength to strength.

Fantastic!

Cheers pal, great when they want to get involved. 

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

Bean tins make a much more satisfactory noise when hit as they are thicker than drinks cans.

That's a good shout, the other cans were handy because they were waiting to be recycled. 

Their 6&8, and your BSA is older than me 😀😀