Tow bar height

Gordon R

We have a 4 wheel box trailer, which my youngest transports either his trials bike or soon a Honda CR500AF.

He had a Vauxhall Insignia, where the towball height is around 15" or 375mm. He has changed vehicles to a 4 x 4 where the tow ball height is 450mm. This means that, when hitched, the trailer no longer tows level and puts more weight on the back axle. The towbar is Tow Trust model - swan neck. The swan neck ball height is  450mm, with no adjustment to make it go lower. I was going to phone Tow Trust tomorrow to see if they make a swan next attachment sitting at a lower height. Failing that, I was going to weld a couple of 50 x 50 x 5mm box sections onto the trailer rails, to raise the actual hitch. The hitch is bolted through the box section chassis, so an extra box section, plus longer bolts would seem to solve this.

Has anyone got a better solution?

Edited by Gordon R

16 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

We have a 4 wheel box trailer, which my youngest transports either his trials bike or soon a Honda CR500AF.

He had a Vauxhall Insignia, where the towball height is around 15" or 375mm. He has changed vehicles to a 4 x 4 where the tow ball height is 450mm. This means that, when hitched, the trailer no longer tows level and puts more weight on the back axle. The towbar is Tow Trust model - swan neck. The swan neck ball height is  450mm, with no adjustment to make it go lower. I was going to phone Tow Trust tomorrow to see if they make a swan next attachment sitting at a lower height. Failing that, I was going to weld a couple of 50 x 50 x 5mm box sections onto the trailer rails, to raise the actual hitch. The hitch is bolted through the box section chassis, so an extra box section, plus longer bolts would seem to solve this.

Has anyone got a better solution?

i think that is the best idea as it dosnt interfere with the chassis of the trailer.........just make sure you have the right spec bolts.....and re-adjust the tension on the braking cables....

Your looking at a 3” height rise so 6” loss of space between the wheels.Depeing on stud pattern could be as simple as changing 10” wheels to 12/13” and suitable tyres https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153458083201

always found double axel unbraked trailers (for road use) a bit weird really.... 

Edited by HDAV

I would be inclined to bolt a box section spacer  bolt to chassis bolt to hitch and sometime in the future remove to fit a new vehicle       have welded bits in place before and in time wished I didn't weld so good and use four bolts     keep it simple      a spacer is the cheapest option  4x4 x 8 " box section and 4 high tensile bolts  or similar using what you have available to build a spacer inc   I beam scrap adjust to fit thigh 

I need to raise the trailer, but that would involve 5 new wheels and tyres, mudguards and possibly new hubs. I have spoken to the towbar company and they do not do a lower swan neck attachment. I will have to raise the trailer hitch. Spoken to a mate this morning - he has some 50 x 50 x 5mm steel box section, so that is my current plan.

Saltings - I think you are correct about not welding. The trailer hitch will be just as secure with extended high tensile bolts, passing through a 50 x 50 box section. 

19 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I need to raise the trailer, but that would involve 5 new wheels and tyres, mudguards and possibly new hubs. I have spoken to the towbar company and they do not do a lower swan neck attachment. I will have to raise the trailer hitch. Spoken to a mate this morning - he has some 50 x 50 x 5mm steel box section, so that is my current plan.

Saltings - I think you are correct about not welding. The trailer hitch will be just as secure with extended high tensile bolts, passing through a 50 x 50 box section. 

Might it be easier to raise the connecting point rather than the whole trailer?

17 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

It is just the hitch. I am putting 50 x 50 box section under the existing cast hitch - one on either side, where the chassis tapers at the front. About 10" long either side.

Oh I thought you were originally considering raising the whole base of the trailer with either box section or bigger wheels and tyres.

• 1 month later...