New Brexit Thread

Vince Green

8 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Its impossible to negotiate with the EU because Barnier hasn't got the authority to make concessions on behalf of the member states,  he only has the authority to demand concessions from us.

Its like trying to buy a car off a salesman who hasn't got the authority to knock anything off the price on the windscreen.

It will all be over and done soon!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been reading an article about the Spanish going ape regarding the UK quarantine rules. They see the Brits returning as their no1 priority and are crapping at the fact this will prevent it. Plus their veg and salad industry will take a massive hit if they have barriers making it harder to get the fresh stuff quickley into the UK.

The remainers used to say Britain needs the EU more than they need us. If you take the EU as a whole that's true, however Spain being one country that they need the UK far more than we need them. There are a few countries that will take a massive hit with no deal and I cant see them allowing Barnier to continue his arrogant posturing much longer, i hope !

However ,the EU stance is not about trade or practical benefits. It is about their ideology.  They would be happy to agree a deal that hurts them financially as long as they can demonstrate to their members that it has hurt UK even more by not staying in their club. 

This is a good article, given more credibility because it quotes a German economist. Its a fact what we have been saying all along. The EU needs us more than we need them and if they hadn't treated us with such arrogance maybe it wouldn't have ended this way

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1284916/brexit-news-eu-uk-latest-von-der-leyen-eurozone-brussels-france-germany?utm_source=traffic.outbrain&utm_medium=traffic.outbrain&utm_term=traffic.outbrain&utm_content=traffic.outbrain&utm_campaign=traffic.outbrain

26 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

This is a good article, given more credibility because it quotes a German economist. Its a fact what we have been saying all along. The EU needs us more than we need them and if they hadn't treated us with such arrogance maybe it wouldn't have ended this way

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1284916/brexit-news-eu-uk-latest-von-der-leyen-eurozone-brussels-france-germany?utm_source=traffic.outbrain&utm_medium=traffic.outbrain&utm_term=traffic.outbrain&utm_content=traffic.outbrain&utm_campaign=traffic.outbrain

Excellent article and really sums up what the EU really is. Like you say Vince, when Cameron went to the EU in desperation for help he was just laughed at and treated with total contempt. If they had given him something no matter how small ,it would have tipped things in his favour and most likely he would have scrapped through with enough votes to remain. However he was just laughed at and ridiculed . If I had ever had doubts about leaving, their actions confirmed to me it was the time to get out.

Hello guys, just been talking to someone in the conservative party. The remainers are marshalling their forces for one final battle. The Cummings issue is their initial skirmish, more attacks are to follow. Must hold out till we pass the point of no return. Next few weeks we are in for further fun and games to discredit boris.

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Finally we are winning some ground from the EU in the (so called) negotiation. First blood

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1287174/Brexit-news-UK-EU-trade-talks-deal-Michel-Barnier-fishing-latest-david-frost

So the EU will give a bit if the UK gives a bit?  Hardly blood. Just normal give and take.

"The Commission could ease its demands during the next round of negotiations, which begin on June 1, if British officials also consider a compromise.

An EU official said: “There have been hints of a possible reconciliation of approaches.

“We would be looking to shift on demands to keep everything as is now, a somewhat maximalist opening position, if the UK also moved from its position of coastal attachment."

18 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Hello guys, just been talking to someone in the conservative party. The remainers are marshalling their forces for one final battle. The Cummings issue is their initial skirmish, more attacks are to follow. Must hold out till we pass the point of no return. Next few weeks we are in for further fun and games to discredit boris.

5 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

And some of the Remainers have moved on and so have some of the Brexiteers.

The remainers haven’t moved on.....look at the recent letter from the remainer leaders of Westminster opposition party’s to Barnier (and his response!) they want a two year delay for brexit......Barnier isn’t against the idea! There’s a surprise!

Just now, panoma1 said:

The remainers haven’t moved on.....look at the recent letter from the remainer leaders of Westminster opposition party’s to Barnier (and his response!) they want a two year delay for brexit......Barnier isn’t against the idea! There’s a surprise!

The clue was in some. Unlike a lot of Brexiteers, who have apparently spoken for all Brexiteers, I can only speak for myself and as a former remainer could no longer care a jot about Brexit. COVID has trumped it. Please do not confuse with ambivalence with a swing to supporting Brexit, I just don't care any more.

6 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

The clue was in some. Unlike a lot of Brexiteers, who have apparently spoken for all Brexiteers, I can only speak for myself and as a former remainer could no longer care a jot about Brexit. COVID has trumped it. Please do not confuse with ambivalence with a swing to supporting Brexit, I just don't care any more.

When I don’t care I just don’t post on a topic. 🙂

Just now, Scully said:

Perhaps; doesn’t make it any less true. You care enough to post. 🙂

To clarify - I don't care for trying to undo Brexit. I do care about us delivering on the promises that were part of the decision to leave the EU. I do very much care that we should not use UK fishing grounds as a negotiation tool with the EU. I care about the future, our future, not the past.

3 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I do care about us delivering on the promises that were part of the decision to leave the EU.

Thats very difficult to do when there are still factions trying to scupper it .

4 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I do very much care that we should not use UK fishing grounds as a negotiation tool with the EU.

Pretty certain it was Barnier that made it a condition, knowing full well it would be badly received , his failure to land the blow is the shape of things to come, I hope.

37 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

What's the final part of Barniers letter include, "providing a suitable UK contribution can be agreed"

Let's hope we can hold out till 31 June and say good riddance for good to the lot of them

You will have a long wait: the last day of June is the 30th