New Brexit Thread

Vince Green

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Heres some EU 'democracy' in action :lol:

What's wrong with it? Or do you think it's wrong that an EU country's representatives can veto Brussels  pushing through deal that would be against their country's interests?

Just now, oowee said:

Now the world class corona app is sorted, BJ and his merry band of also rans have a lot more time to get the Brexit deal sorted. 

It's being binned, yes? I wonder how much money the whole debacle cost ...old Dido made out alright probably.

14 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I don't readily see how that is either directly or indirectly related to the point I was querying but, since you've cited it, perhaps you can explain the democratic "failure" or whatever other issue you see in the article you provided? In fact, it appears they held a vote and reached a democratic position on a quite important matter...

Struggling for time , so Ill be brief .
They have reached a decision and voted among THEMSELVES to reject ANY deal , that does not give them some autonomy over the UK .
A position they know FULL WELL  will not be acceptable to the UK.
In effect, the only elected part of the EU , has not bothered with what is good for the people who voted for them (European citizens) , but what is good for the EU (hierarchy)  , and be damned to whatever economic impact that entails for Europe.

Its cutting off someone elses nose to spite YOUR face !

Just now, Rewulf said:

They have reached a decision and voted among THEMSELVES to reject ANY deal , that does not give them some autonomy over the UK .
In effect, the only elected part of the EU , has not bothered with what is good for the people who voted for them (European citizens) , but what is good for the EU (hierarchy)  , and be damned to whatever economic impact that entails for Europe.

That's a great answer, to a question different to the one i asked 🤣

Just now, Raja Clavata said:

That's a great answer, to a question different to the one i asked 🤣

Think more outside the box Bro...

The EU refuses to make a nice trade deal with us , causing misery for EU exports to the UK ..for what ? Pride.
Theres a death knell in there somewhere Im sure...

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

An interview with Xavier Bettel, Prime Minister of Luxembourg.

https://youtu.be/E7fZ2wZYiFU?t=719

I don't know what his politics are - if he's left or right - but either way I'd happily vote for this bloke. He's like a breath of fresh air compared to the UK's lot.

Sounds much more like a CEO than what "we" have come to "accept" from a politician. Thanks for sharing.

Very clear and concise no comparison with ourBJ where one headless chicken moment follows another. What is it about the UK political process (Or should that be English politics) that manages to select such lobotomized specimins as leaders? 

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

I don't know what his politics are - if he's left or right - but either way I'd happily vote for this bloke. He's like a breath of fresh air compared to the UK's lot.

Just now, oowee said:

Very clear and concise no comparison with ourBJ where one headless chicken moment follows another. What is it about the UK political process (Or should that be English politics) that manages to select such lobotomized specimins as leaders? 

A reflection of the general public?

31 minutes ago, oowee said:

What is it about the UK political process (Or should that be English politics) that manages to select such lobotomized specimins as leaders? 

Following the Americans down the route of conducting political campaigns as warfare is my theory.  And that's a by-product of the FPTP system. Politics in the Anglophone world has now become all about winning at whatever cost. So they bring in highly-paid professional gun-for-hire campaign managers like Lynton Crosby who only care about winning, and these guys have discovered that the best way to do that is to appeal to the voters baser emotions and prejudices. So out of the window go political philosophy and vision, and in come catchy slogans and repeatable lies. It works too.

But then the problem is that eventually the whole thing becomes so squalid that decent, moral people want no part of it anymore, and they and stop going into politics. So you finish up with  a political class peopled almost exclusively by thickos, sleaze-merchants, and chancers. And so it goes on......ever downwards...

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

In many (most?) parts of the EU any form of giving ground is seen as weakness not diplomacy. A legacy from the days of the Roman Empire when no form of compromise was ever possible no matter how beneficial it may have been

Its one of the 99 reasons why the EU project is doomed. Everybody has to be the political hardman who will never accept compromise or back down.

So just ignore them, and in time they will come to realise that their testosterone fuelled willy waving has had no effect and they have shot themselves in the foot 

I'd rather not have a deal tbh, from the moment the UK had a referendum to leave and I saw the EU behave in the way it did towards us, I realised they were not friends to make deals with, but more like the Mafia who get what they want through bullying and intimidation, who'd want to make a deal with the Mafia?

It's interesting really, the UK lead the way in abolishing slavery, the brave men and women if the UK stepped up in ww2 when Poland was invaded and helped end world domination by an evil regime and it looks like once again, the majority of the UK will lead the way in stopping the EU dictatorship from romping over freedom once again.

9 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Following the Americans down the route of conducting political campaigns as warfare is my theory.  And that's a by-product of the FPTP system. Politics in the Anglophone world has now become all about winning at whatever cost. So they bring in highly-paid professional gun-for-hire campaign managers like Lynton Crosby who only care about winning, and these guys have discovered that the best way to do that is to appeal to the voters baser emotions and prejudices. So out of the window go political philosophy and vision, and in come catchy slogans and repeatable lies. It works too.

But then the problem is that eventually the whole thing becomes so squalid that decent, moral people want no part of it anymore, and they and stop going into politics. So you finish up with  a political class peopled almost exclusively by thickos, sleaze-merchants, and chancers. And so it goes on......ever downwards...

We get the politicians we deserve. Encouraged by the media, people now think appearance is everything. Saying the inoffensive thing is more important than the right thing. Where changing a position based on new information becomes a humiliating u turn.

Modern culture means this is unlikely to change, more likely to get worse.

11 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

We get the politicians we deserve. Encouraged by the media, people now think appearance is everything. Saying the inoffensive thing is more important than the right thing. Where changing a position based on new information becomes a humiliating u turn.

Modern culture means this is unlikely to change, more likely to get worse.

Yes indeed, unlikely to change!

Should Canada, New Zealand, Australia and the UK CANZUK form a Union for trade after Brexit? 

We share the same language and cultures and consider ourselves to be our best friends in the world

This has widespread support in all four countries including the French speaking parts of Canada

On 18/06/2020 at 19:39, Retsdon said:

Luxembourg is one of the most corrupt countries in the EU when it comes to bending the rules for its own benefit. Its the epithemy of everything thats wrong with the project. and why we have to leave

A lot of what he says is singing to luxembourg's hymn sheet. They wont be able to function as a tax haven for companies operating in the UK after we have finally. left.

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, fern01 said:

Should Canada, New Zealand, Australia and the UK CANZUK form a Union for trade after Brexit? 

We share the same language and cultures and consider ourselves to be our best friends in the world

This has widespread support in all four countries including the French speaking parts of Canada

Yes, we had that,  it was called the Commonwealth, we effectively pulled the plug on it when we joined the Common Market as it was called then 

6 hours ago, fern01 said:

Why not? 

Canada https://www.international.gc.ca/trade-commerce/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/index.aspx?lang=eng

Australia https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/agreements/Pages/trade-agreements

New Zealand https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_free-trade_agreements

On those lists above, they all have negotiations for an additional agreement with a post-Brexit Britain pencilled in.