Grimsthorpe SG Lincs

TIGHTCHOKE

Good news, Grimsthorpe SG will re-open on Wednesday the 27th of May!

We are pleased to announce the reopening of Grimsthorpe Estate Shooting Ground on Wednesday the 27th of May 2020.

Things will be different, however, we will endeavour to try to give you as close to the original experience as possible.

We will be trialling a booking system that will be in place and live on our website at 12:00 this Wednesday 20th of May.  

You have two options, you can either book the 100 ESP course or the High Tower. You will not be able to shoot the tower as you head around the course without a prior booking. You will be able to book a slot every half an hour, this is your START time. You MUST be here AT LEAST 15 minutes before your start time to collect your promatic card and gather your equipment. Anyone late for their start time will not be allowed to shoot.

You must then shoot the course numerically. There will be no double backing or going round twice. Anyone found to be abusing this rule will be politely asked to leave and will not be allowed to return until social distancing measures are lifted.

Cartridges will be available to purchase and while the Rookery will be closed there will be bottled refreshments available to take away. The clubhouse will remain closed but you are very welcome to enjoy the terrace. Gift vouchers for clays are able to be redeemed during this time.

Only card payments will be accepted. No cash.

Slots are STRICTLY limited to two people, this can either be two people from the same household or two from different households.

We understand that the above measures are strict but as we have said previously our intentions are to keep both yourselves and our staff safe. We will provide hand sanitising stations and ask you to use them before, during and after using the course.

If this first week is a success we plan to release more slots for the following week and so on. We really look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,

The Grimsthorpe Team 

2 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Just looking at their website 32p per clay but you can get that reduced to 30p if you pay £225 per year membership ! Not a place that I will be visiting.

Worth every penny, registered grade targets in a lovely wooded location.

4 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Just looking at their website 32p per clay but you can get that reduced to 30p if you pay £225 per year membership ! Not a place that I will be visiting.

AGL are 42p going down to 33p with a £195 membership. One of those things!

Good to hear a ground opening - AGL are also now open with a raft of measures in place. If I weren't looking after kids I'd be out for a go!

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Worth every penny, registered grade targets in a lovely wooded location.

I dont doubt it but I have shot this morning  at 24p, had a caddy and got a very friendly welcome. It's just that I am a tight Yorkshire man and quite often think through my pocket.

What I could not understand is the reduction of 2p per clay at a cost of £225. 

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, but I will always try and give my business to people who work their hardest to earn it.

Edited by TRINITY

5 hours ago, TRINITY said:

I dont doubt it but I have shot this morning  at 24p, had a caddy and got a very friendly welcome. It's just that I am a tight Yorkshire man and quite often think through my pocket.

What I could not understand is the reduction of 2p per clay at a cost of £225. 

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, but I will always try and give my business to people who work their hardest to earn it.

If that’s who you give your business to I have no doubt if you visit grimsthorpe you will have no problem paying 32p a clay as you will see the work and effort they have put into the ground 

Gordon

Like I said Gordon, may be I was a tad harsh. But I dont see why any ground should charge 30p and beyond for practice. If you can go to a cracking ground like Beverley and they can put on Olympic trap at 28p , that to me is the bench mark for a top ground that gives value for money. 

However grimsthorpe seems to have plenty of supporters so , I will go down and give it a go over this summer.

13 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Like I said Gordon, may be I was a tad harsh. But I dont see why any ground should charge 30p and beyond for practice. If you can go to a cracking ground like Beverley and they can put on Olympic trap at 28p , that to me is the bench mark for a top ground that gives value for money. 

However grimsthorpe seems to have plenty of supporters so , I will go down and give it a go over this summer.

Olympic Trap is a fixed discipline, proper English Sporting is a moving changing set up, so will cost more.

That's only one stand, it has 15 traps, covered stand ,computerised acoustics plus the fancy concrete trench. You could build a sporting set up for the cost of that alone. There is more than one range plus at least a dozen other ranges all under cover,UTR, ABT,and about 5 dtl ranges, plus the several skeet towers. Then there is some sporting layouts. There is no way whatsoever that any English sporting ground would cost anything near the set up at Beverley. Plus its run to full international standards !

You lot down south dont realise what you are missing out on 😉

I've found that, generally speaking, the further North you go to shoot Clays, the cheaper it becomes, but the quality of the targets suffers.

Northerners tend to focus too much on the cost of each clay, not the quality of the layout and the skill of the target setter.

I haven't shot Grimsthorpe for probably 15 years, but it used to be a superb ground, and I do believe it's improved somewhat over the years.

I would rate it in the top 5 grounds in England for Sporting.

If you're a discerning Southern Sporting shooter, you won't be disappointed.

Cat.😎

16 hours ago, Catamong said:

I've found that, generally speaking, the further North you go to shoot Clays, the cheaper it becomes, but the quality of the targets suffers.

Northerners tend to focus too much on the cost of each clay, not the quality of the layout and the skill of the target setter.

I haven't shot Grimsthorpe for probably 15 years, but it used to be a superb ground, and I do believe it's improved somewhat over the years.

I would rate it in the top 5 grounds in England for Sporting.

If you're a discerning Southern Sporting shooter, you won't be disappointed.

Cat.😎

Try paintmine woods at carnforth Lancashire if you're ever up this way, that will change your mind on northern grounds, it is a superb high quality set up with very trying birds.

1 hour ago, rapid .25 said:

Try paintmine woods at carnforth Lancashire if you're ever up this way, that will change your mind on northern grounds, it is a superb high quality set up with very trying birds.

Looking at the website it works out at £23 per 100 Clay's. One thing you can say is that they are not trying to fleece shooters like some places.

21 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Looking at the website it works out at £23 per 100 Clay's. One thing you can say is that they are not trying to fleece shooters like some places.

It's a brilliant well laid out course and has some very deceptive and tricky stands.

I think that ...

10 minutes ago, Salopian said:

Given that we are currently in lockdown and heading for one hell of a recession ,huge redundancies, and a downturn of footfall at shooting grounds,

We should pay what we need to, to keep them open !! This isn't a public service!!

9 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I think that ...

We should pay what we need to, to keep them open !! This isn't a public service!!

How far would you let them push you and exploit you in order to keep them going ? 50p a clay ? 

I know one place who would apply do that if people were daft enough to pay.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Define greed, I shoot at Grimsthorpe, Sporting Targets, Orston, Northampton, Cambridge Gun Club and many others.

I pay what they charge because they present great Registered level targets that I have to work at. It is the ONLY way to improve.

TC 

I would be interested to know what you pay in respect of each ground.