Grimsthorpe SG Lincs

TIGHTCHOKE

1 minute ago, TRINITY said:

I think my views are well known. I agree what you say in some respect but in my case would say

Use the good uns, boycott the greedy  so an so,s

Define greed, I shoot at Grimsthorpe, Sporting Targets, Orston, Northampton, Cambridge Gun Club and many others.

I pay what they charge because they present great Registered level targets that I have to work at. It is the ONLY way to improve.

Tight choke,

I respect what you say to a certain extent as I am no where near as good a shooter as yourself from what I know. Neither I am in anyway as experienced.

However your argument only stands for sporting. After all what in your opinion is a good target ,could be a poor target to someone else. There is only one fair way to compare grounds and that is by looking at the disciplines 

Just looked at Orston 33p to practice the disciplines

Compare that to the grounds below

Beverley 28p

Northern ctc 24p 

Nottingham gun club 28p

I would therefore say Orston are charging over the odds.

23 hours ago, rapid .25 said:

Try paintmine woods at carnforth Lancashire if you're ever up this way, that will change your mind on northern grounds, it is a superb high quality set up with very trying birds.

About an hour away for us, and one we haven’t tried yet. We intend to rectify this ASAP. 👍

Just now, rapid .25 said:

You will love it scully, 👍

Yeah, hope so. We don’t shoot registered shoots anyhow, and just see clays as a filler for when we’re not shooting live quarry. While we don’t take it too seriously we still enjoy a challenge, which is why we will often spend much time and cartridges on particularly difficult targets, or those we enjoy. 

28 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Tight choke,

I respect what you say to a certain extent as I am no where near as good a shooter as yourself from what I know. Neither I am in anyway as experienced.

However your argument only stands for sporting. After all what in your opinion is a good target ,could be a poor target to someone else. There is only one fair way to compare grounds and that is by looking at the disciplines 

Just looked at Orston 33p to practice the disciplines

Compare that to the grounds below

Beverley 28p

Northern ctc 24p 

Nottingham gun club 28p

I would therefore say Orston are charging over the odds.

Yes my argument is aimed at English Sporting, so far both threads about Sporting Targets and Grimsthorpe have been swung to moaning about costs.

I was AAA once and would love to get back up there, consequently I shoot Registered English Sporting.

I have shot for a long time, I have shot to a high level, I have shot all the disciplines and won at many of them.

I now devote my clay shooting to English Sporting at the better venues and am happy to pay the going rate for such targets.

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes my argument is aimed at English Sporting, so far both threads about Sporting Targets and Grimsthorpe have been swung to moaning about costs.

I was AAA once and would love to get back up there, consequently I shoot Registered English Sporting.

I have shot for a long time, I have shot to a high level, I have shot all the disciplines and won at many of them.

I now devote my clay shooting to English Sporting at the better venues and am happy to pay the going rate for such targets.

Respect to you 👍I will never get near what you have achieved.

I am in it as an enjoyable pastime and hobby. I am not a tight sod, far from it but I dont support anyone taking liberties and I believe a minority of shooting grounds do. As this thread developed and talked about the inevitable recession , I believe and hope the grounds that are more reasonable in their pricing structure have the bext chance of survival.

Nobody seems to have though about the overhead costs that shooting grounds have, be it a small Sunday strawbaler or a CPSA Premier Plus venue, before they've even thrown a clay target, they'll all be different and include such items as rent, rates, bank charges, insurance, staff costs, building fabric maintenance plus equipment expenditure and associated maintenance.  Then there's the actual buying power they have for purchasing clays and cartridges and that's down to what cash they have in the bank and what storage facilities they have onsite.   We know none of this, but they do and they also know what they need to charge to keep themselves financially viable. 

Be thankful there's shooting grounds to attend.  I know of one shooting ground that opened it's door last Sunday, in compliance with CPSA guidance and their LA planning consent, that evening their local village Facebook community page was full of complaints about noise after having peace and quiet for nigh on nine weeks.  If it gets nasty and goes to court would you begrudge the owner putting up his costs to defray his legal bills.

Just a thought.

Edited by PhilR
amendment

24 minutes ago, PhilR said:

I know of one shooting ground that opened it's door last Sunday, in compliance with CPSA guidance and their LA planning consent, that evening their local village Facebook community page was full of complaints about noise after having peace and quiet for nigh on nine weeks.  If it gets nasty and goes to court would you begrudge the owner putting up his costs to defray his legal bills.

Just a thought.

Here is just a thought. Any shooting ground that operates under the CPSA ought to have legal liability insurance to fight such instances. Again being relatively new to this sport this is one thing I cant understand.Surely the CPSA could offer insurance cover for such circumstances. Once they did that I am sure as a sport the cpsa could protect grounds with this cover. It would only need one group of locals to empty their pockets pursuing a fight they could not win and the word would get around. All cpsa clubs should stick together and not let nimbies try and pick them off one by one.

Am i wrong thinking this is not the case

Edited by TRINITY

47 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Here is just a thought. Any shooting ground that operates under the CPSA ought to have legal liability insurance to fight such instances. Again being relatively new to this sport this is one thing I cant understand.Surely the CPSA could offer insurance cover for such circumstances. Once they did that I am sure as a sport the cpsa could protect grounds with this cover. It would only need one group of locals to empty their pockets pursuing a fight they could not win and the word would get around. All cpsa clubs should stick together and not let nimbies try and pick them off one by one.

Am i wrong thinking this is not the case

Affected residents make their complaints to the Local Authority and they then take on the case, they have rather deeper pockets than individual or collective residents. My shooting ground owner friend was involved in a protracted legal case that was heard in front of a high court judge, both parties represented by QCs and noise expert witnesses. The cost to my friend was enormous and he had to remortgage his house to foot the bills. 

In an ideal world you'd think the national governing body could provide some sort of insurance to indemnify affiliated shooting grounds but I should imagine the premiums would be astronomical given the huge costs involved for cases that do go all the way to court. 

More annoying is that shooting grounds that have been in existence for many decades happily complying with the LA planning consents can be challenged and closed by someone new to the area purchasing a property nearby.

Conveyancing solicitors do searches in the surrounding area of the property being purchased and surely they would discover the location of the shooting ground. Failure to do so would, I assume, leave them open to some sort of penalty by the purchaser. 

6 minutes ago, PhilR said:

Affected residents make their complaints to the Local Authority and they then take on the case, they have rather deeper pockets than individual or collective residents. My shooting ground owner friend was involved in a protracted legal case that was heard in front of a high court judge, both parties represented by QCs and noise expert witnesses. The cost to my friend was enormous and he had to remortgage his house to foot the bills. 

In an ideal world you'd think the national governing body could provide some sort of insurance to indemnify affiliated shooting grounds but I should imagine the premiums would be astronomical given the huge costs involved for cases that do go all the way to court. 

More annoying is that shooting grounds that have been in existence for many decades happily complying with the LA planning consents can be challenged and closed by someone new to the area purchasing a property nearby.

Conveyancing solicitors do searches in the surrounding area of the property being purchased and surely they would discover the location of the shooting ground. Failure to do so would, I assume, leave them open to some sort of penalty by the purchaser. 

I am not disagreeing with much of what you say . However I can tell you one thing for sure, from my experience of local authorities dont be so sure that they are happy to go to court for such issues. They have to stand the cost themselves and they are always extremely cautious about what they do. If they were aware of a strong trade association with the power to defend their members I can assure you they would think twice. They will act like bullys against soft targets but will be reluctant to take on someone with power and resources. 

Has it ever crossed your mind how a group of seemingly loan individuals seem able to flout planning laws all over the UK. It's because they know that every case they take these individuals appear to have bottomless funds and resources to fight them and that's why they back off. Our sport should organise itself and stand as one. 

6 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I’m just back from 100 Sporting at EESG. £27 and didn’t begrudge them a penny. They’ll lose money today due to lack of footfall.

Neither would I, that looks a fair enough price. Sounds like a ground worth supporting

17 hours ago, Scully said:

Yeah, hope so. We don’t shoot registered shoots anyhow, and just see clays as a filler for when we’re not shooting live quarry. While we don’t take it too seriously we still enjoy a challenge, which is why we will often spend much time and cartridges on particularly difficult targets, or those we enjoy. 

Don't forget to give me the heads up when you're going ed 👍

Exactly what happened to the Hinchcliffe family who ran Holmfirth Shooting School. Brilliant family and decent ground.

Well, two of us went up to Grimsthorpe, met the owner, went round and shot £28 worth of clays each and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Some cracking long clays and great combinations, all set up as report pairs but of course you can have them as simultaneous if you so choose.

They plan to open up to groups of 4 when allowed to by the Government guidance.

• 1 month later...

My Better half aways buy me some clay shooting somewhere different from my usual so I and my brother-in-law went to Grimsthorpe last year it's about an hour and forty minutes from us ..must say we had a great day. .and loved the high tower. .I believe one of the best in as much of the variation of clays....

Edited by gamekeeper1960

On 22/05/2020 at 11:58, Gordon R said:

Exactly what happened to the Hinchcliffe family who ran Holmfirth Shooting School. Brilliant family and decent ground.

My friend’s (game) shoot was facing similar prospect until they hired a QC and they agreed with the (Labour) Council to close subject to the case being heard in court.... oh and one small point. Naturally we will be pursuing the council to pick up the tab for lost revenue when you lose, which currently stands a £1m/year

Needless to say the council got back in their box with tail between its legs. Game shoots generally have much deeper pockets and costs than clay shoots. The industry needs to pull together somehow and all chip in to fight any case to the fullest rather than get picked off one by one. 

On 19/05/2020 at 21:18, TRINITY said:

That's only one stand, it has 15 traps, covered stand ,computerised acoustics plus the fancy concrete trench. You could build a sporting set up for the cost of that alone. There is more than one range plus at least a dozen other ranges all under cover,UTR, ABT,and about 5 dtl ranges, plus the several skeet towers. Then there is some sporting layouts. There is no way whatsoever that any English sporting ground would cost anything near the set up at Beverley. Plus its run to full international standards !

You lot down south dont realise what you are missing out on 😉

Last time I went to Beverley 2016 (Lincolnshire sport trap )it was a mess toilets swilling in urine Manky cafe ,sporting all with orange clays and so many breakdowns it was unreal 

43 minutes ago, deershooter said:

Last time I went to Beverley 2016 (Lincolnshire sport trap )it was a mess toilets swilling in urine Manky cafe ,sporting all with orange clays and so many breakdowns it was unreal 

You ought to visit now Rob Hall is running the place. They have not sat still during the lockdown. All stands now covered and a new extension going on club house. Toilets are asclean and tidy and as good as any ground you will visit.. The whole place is also tidy and grass is always cut. He has even extended the banking all along the ranges. Traps are also fine and function as they should.

Sounds like you had a bad experience before, but if you returned now it's under new ownership I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.