Webley Xocet Barrel Problem

zipdog

Hi all

My trusty Birmingham made Webley Xocet has served me incredibly well for 20 years. However, of late it has been abnormally inaccurate. Iv have tried three different scopes and mounts and the problem persists.

Finally I think I may have found the problem. The barrel appears to have come loose from the action. It will turn about 3mm in either direction then stops solid. I have upload a video to youtube allowing you to see the problem. (Sorry but i was struggling to upload to PW directly)

Any suggestions on how  i can fix this problem will be most appreciated. It been a fantastic gun over the years.

Many thanks 

Will

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

has the locking screw come loose ?

Thank you for your reply. Stupid question but where is the locking screw? There doesn’t seem to be any obvious screw connecting the barrel to the receiver.

Many thanks 

That's not good news - I'm guessing that the barrel is brazed into the action so that's your best solution - an alternative would be to drill/tap 2 - 3mm threads from underneath the action (if you can pull the barrel out completely) then realign the barrel (using the foresight to ensure it is vertical) and then lock it into place with 2  3mm grub screws - might be wise to remove the barrel once you have done so and file a couple of flats where the grub screws have marked the barrel.Only other alternative is Chamber Spares have a standard .22 for around a £100.

10 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

That's not good news - I'm guessing that the barrel is brazed into the action so that's your best solution - an alternative would be to drill/tap 2 - 3mm threads from underneath the action (if you can pull the barrel out completely) then realign the barrel (using the foresight to ensure it is vertical) and then lock it into place with 2  3mm grub screws - might be wise to remove the barrel once you have done so and file a couple of flats where the grub screws have marked the barrel.Only other alternative is Chamber Spares have a standard .22 for around a £100.

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping there was maybe a simpler remedy. I think i need to try and pull the barrel out completely and see what iv got to work with.

Looking like a new barrel job at the moment.

11 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping there was maybe a simpler remedy. I think i need to try and pull the barrel out completely and see what iv got to work with.

Looking like a new barrel job at the moment.

pull the barrel out....although im surprised it wont unscrew..........clean it up and epoxy it back in ???

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

pull the barrel out....although im surprised it wont unscrew..........clean it up and epoxy it back in

7 hours ago, London Best said:

Personally, I would use Loctite studlock, after a thorough clean and de-grease.

thanks for the replies. After giving it a lot of heat iv finally got the barrel out. Will try lock tight stud lock and give it another go.

Many thanks.

15 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Was it threaded or brazed in? Just curious for future reference. 

It was brazed in. Theres a pin through the action which prevent it from coming out completely too. 

removed the pin and applied plenty of heat and it eventually pulled out.

edit - will add the pin does not keep it tight in the receiver just fits loosely to prevent the barrel shooting off completely. 

Edited by zipdog

20 hours ago, zipdog said:

It was brazed in. Theres a pin through the action which prevent it from coming out completely too. 

removed the pin and applied plenty of heat and it eventually pulled out.

edit - will add the pin does not keep it tight in the receiver just fits loosely to prevent the barrel shooting off completely. 

clean it and epoxy it back in.............some of the bits on the HW's are glued in the factory like the front catch/sight assembly................