223 zero ???

Phil9

Depends what youre shooting at and what max range you are comfortable with.

A common fox range is around  (up to ) 200 yards , so a 100 yard zero with known holdovers is a good start. 2-3 inches holder over at 200, depending on load.
Or, have a POI at 1 inch high at 100 yards, gives you fox kill zone from 60 to 200 yards, with out holdover.

Understand the trajectory of your chosen bullet and work from there, Chairgun helps with this.

Brilliant them ranges are pretty bag on wjat I’d shoot at maybe upto 250yards so if I zero it at 1” high at 100yards it will be flat shooting from 60 to 200 with the need for hold over????

59 minutes ago, Phil9 said:

Brilliant them ranges are pretty bag on wjat I’d shoot at maybe upto 250yards so if I zero it at 1” high at 100yards it will be flat shooting from 60 to 200 with the need for hold over????

What are you shooting ?

34 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

What are you shooting ?

Anyone that walks through that door id imagine. 

Sorry, you would have got some stick a while ago by the PW RCO's having the bolt closed. 

Regarding Zero

As above, just an inch (ish) high at 100 and its dead allsorts out to 250. 

6 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Sorry, you would have got some stick a while ago by the PW RCO's having the bolt closed. 

Youve lost me there ? :lol:

I meant whats the quarry, is he shooting targets, bullet weight ect, so I can give a better answer to his 'flat shooting' question .
The 1 inch high at 100 works because of the large ish kill zone on fox, but wouldnt really work for corvids .

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

Regarding Zero

As above, just an inch (ish) high at 100 and its dead allsorts out to 250. 

Hahaha iv just put the bolt closed for the picture looks better😂😂

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

What are you shooting ?

Fox mate 🦊

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Youve lost me there ? 

I meant whats the quarry, is he shooting targets, bullet weight ect, so I can give a better answer to his 'flat shooting' question .
The 1 inch high at 100 works because of the large ish kill zone on fox, but wouldnt really work for corvids .

Some time ago, if anyone posted a picture of a rifle with the bolt closed it would immediately get flagged up by the doo gooders, "shouldnt do this"  :smartass: "shouldnt do that" etc

And my experience of RCO's is well just amazing, yet they asked me where i get to shoot a 17rem, when i mentioned out in a field they where just gob smacked that you could actually shoot out of the safe confinement of a range. Then another time some chap with a load of badges on his shirt and other paraphernalia hanging round his neck shouted the order STOP! STOP! STOP! because there was a power-glider about 1/2 a mile away and about  2k high flying over head. He obviously had experience of his gang shooting aimlessly into the air like some far eastern wedding party. 

2 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Some time ago, if anyone posted a picture of a rifle with the bolt closed it would immediately get flagged up by the doo gooders, "shouldnt do this"   "shouldnt do that" etc

And my experience of RCO's is well just amazing, yet they asked me where i get to shoot a 17rem, when i mentioned out in a field they where just gob smacked that you could actually shoot out of the safe confinement of a range. Then another time some chap with a load of badges on his shirt and other paraphernalia hanging round his neck shouted the order STOP! STOP! STOP! because there was a power-glider about 1/2 a mile away and about  2k high flying over head. He obviously had experience of his gang shooting aimlessly into the air like some far eastern wedding party. 

😂😂

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

What are you shooting ?

I’m shooting mainly fox mate with these,, 👍🏻Thanks for the help aswel much appreciated.

image.jpg

35 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Some time ago, if anyone posted a picture of a rifle with the bolt closed it would immediately get flagged up by the doo gooders, "shouldnt do this"  :smartass: "shouldnt do that" etc

Ah ,got you :good:

34 minutes ago, Phil9 said:

I’m shooting mainly fox mate with these,, 👍🏻Thanks for the help aswel much appreciated.

No problem, those Sako rounds are a decent choice too.

I tend to use a ballistic calculator to work out the optimum zero range for “flattest” trajectory to give maximum point blank range for given quarry size and likely distance encountered. I then end up zeroing at strange distances ... e.g. 127 yards etc but it can simplify hold over / under for your most frequent shots. 

To work out optimum zero MPBR you need to input bullet, rifle and mount information. A chronograph is useful too. 

Well chaps I zeroed in At 100yards this afternoon after taking rewulfs advice and had a very good session with my son tagging along with me,,2 hares @ 153 yards and 136yards then at last light got this little beauty at 238 yards square in the chest,, very health aswel (vixen)

51549C28-B9C4-4FAB-B95A-35BD8BC77D46.jpeg

8 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Can you explain what you mean bud ?

The standard combat zero for a 20in M16A2 is 800/300 meters but transfers well to bolt actions. If you want to centermass hit a target (center mass meaning on a on a silhouette target a triangle from nipples to bottom of chin) you can zero the rifle at 300 meters.  The bullet will hit slightly low out to 300 then slightly high from 300-800 meters. The bullet will be dead on again at 800.  This means you can aim center mass on a silhouette target at hit within the kill zone out to 800 meters with standard Military issue Xm193 ammo.  It’s a good coyote zero out to 300.  Past 300 you need the m16 flip up peepsight to get the 800 but from zero to 300 on a scope it works. CD742997-F65D-429F-A28B-AB37199376F1.jpeg.9e9856a582656a9b692d1320a4878143.jpeg

Edited by NoBodyImportant

It’s one of the reasons for the elevated sights on M16 etc is that it gives an extended MPBR for a combat target, meaning no compensation for range required for most situations encountered. The diameter of kill zone is key to calculating MPBR and so zero distance. 16” common for warfare, 1.5” is what I use for rabbits. 

All of my rifles bar the 22RF and the 17hmr are set at 1 1/2 inches high at a hundred and has worked for me for over 50yrs.  The 22RF is set  spot on at 50yrds and the 17hmr spot on at 100.

The maximum on all my ground would be 200 if that more likely very close or less than 100 so it is not possible to give a fixed figure.

IF you are out in the flat lands of Lincolnshire then ranges will no doubt extend so you may have to zero just that bit higher at 100 2 inches should put you MOA fox out to 300 if you can hold to it.  There is a big difference to shooting off a solid bench to shooting in real terms with little time to think. 

My 22 Bench Rest barrel is zeroed at 1 1/2 inch at 100 and the reload 50g are peddling along at around 3400fps very similar to the 223.  Then it's up to me.

My 223 is set to be 1" high at 100 metres. Which translates to being 'point and shoot' for any fox out to 200m or so. 300m I'd have to allow about 6 inches of bullet drop, but I'd have to be desperate to take on a shot of that distance, when I only use a 6x42 scope