Licence renewed But..

powler

Hi

Got my firearms and shotgun just renewed last week.

Spoke last week to the FEO on the phone for my renewal interview and he said they should be through very soon as already posted, they turned up that afternoon. All good.

Yesterday letter from my doctors asking for £50 for him to send request letter to the FEO, now I'm thinking stuff it, I got my renewals sorted don't pay, but the wife said they may revoke said license's or come five years time when I renew again the doctors will have me flagged and charge me double or just refuse to do it.

Did try to ring Malvern station to ask if they still needed it but couldn't get through this morning.

Mick

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your cert has been granted the police cannot revoke it because you don’t pay the GP! Ring the surgery and explain there is no requirement in law or the HO guidelines that says you have to pay, if the police have asked you (the GP) for a report, that is between the GP and the Police........until such time as there is a legal requirement for you to pay......you won’t be paying!

1 minute ago, strimmer_13 said:

I didnt pay, still got my tickets, and you have as well. Result as far as im concerned, they shouldn't be charging in the first place 

good for you there’s something wrong when the people who decide if we can hold tickets are allowed to black mail us 

I cannot quite get my head around this.  You are entitled, free of charge,to a copy of your entire medical records on request.  Ask for them and then if the police want details they can be shown a copy but not given.  I certainly would not pay, my view that is between the police and the doctor. They want details they pay for them like they do for any other outside information they request.

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I cannot quite get my head around this.  You are entitled, free of charge,to a copy of your entire medical records on request.  Ask for them and then if the police want details they can be shown a copy but not given.  I certainly would not pay, my view that is between the police and the doctor. They want details they pay for them like they do for any other outside information they request.

but they cant threaten others like they do shooters because they would not get away with it!

An old mate who lives near Cannock and comes under Westmids/Staffordshire police has not long renewed online, took about 4 weeks and no mention of doctors fees.

Mind you when he received his SGC about 5 weeks ago he had gained an extra gun, a William Evans boxlock ejector, on informing the police about their error they insisted he owned the said gun, he said you can come around when you like and have a look, I have never owned a William Evans, two weeks later and a new SGC pops through his letter box minus the William Evans, no letter of explanation/apologises or phone call.

38 minutes ago, old'un said:

An old mate who lives near Cannock and comes under Westmids/Staffordshire police has not long renewed online, took about 4 weeks and no mention of doctors fees.

Mind you when he received his SGC about 5 weeks ago he had gained an extra gun, a William Evans boxlock ejector, on informing the police about their error they insisted he owned the said gun, he said you can come around when you like and have a look, I have never owned a William Evans, two weeks later and a new SGC pops through his letter box minus the William Evans, no letter of explanation/apologises or phone call.

Maybe, Staffordshire have a mature view in that if the applicant honestly answers the standard questions and no flags are raised, they believe in good faith?

Exactly how it should be, built on trust?

1 hour ago, andrewluke said:

but they cant threaten others like they do shooters because they would not get away with it!

I had to pay for the GP to confirm my medical reason for not travelling to enable a payout from insurers. I had to do this up front or no dice. Doesn't feel that shooters are especially singled out. 

Asking for a completed GP report agreeing with your listed medical history is now part of the submission for Herts Police, including a note that we'll have to pay if the GP asks and it's not the responsibility of the police to pay. This appears to be the same in Essex and elsewhere, based on discussions I've had on renewals, meaning the forces are moving to push the cost and admin effort on to us. It's not a surprise that GPs charge for this service as requests for records or Subject Access Requests are baked in their operating model, while this sort of thing clearly isn't considered standard. While we're being held hostage on it, it feels like the person licensing should hold the responsibility here and that this is poorly hanled buck passing in relation to responsibility for checking suitability of license holders. 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Unfortunately the FEO will tell you they are not medically qualified to evaluate your free copy of your medical history, a lot of forces are now making it mandatory to include the medical report together with the application, photo and fee. No medical report then they return the application.  The firearms act gives the chief constable unlimited scope to determine you are a fit and proper person to be trusted with firearms which is why the shooting organisations have refused to take legal action going the political path in the hope a fixed fee can be agreed with GPS rather than the lotto it is now. But GPs are businesses and so can charge what they like £50 is cheap by comparison to what some have had to pay, mine was nearly twice that and simply put by the FEO no medical report no certificate.

Edited by rbrowning2

There are some strong replies on this thread. Let's hope that when renewal comes round again there are different Doctor's receptionists in place.

I was never asked to supply a Doctor's certificate when my renewal was due recently. I can only assume that both Lincolnshire Constabulary and the local GP both assumed that I was dead.

16 minutes ago, wishy735 said:

Two years ago my doctor who is also a customer of mine had the cheek to charge me£50. So later that year I stuck said £50 on his bill and last year also and will continue to do so every year. Love a bit of karma😁

Be careful, he could be thinking the same thing and in five years when you need a doctors letter it could cost you £250.:yes:

1 hour ago, JDog said:

I was never asked to supply a Doctor's certificate when my renewal was due recently. I can only assume that both Lincolnshire Constabulary and the local GP both assumed that I was dead.

Mine run out mid August , two weeks ago I got a reminder and instructions to download the renewal form , as I haven't got a printer I sent the f a o a email to ask if they could post the renewal form , this was at dinnertime and an hour later they replied and said they would post one that same day , sure enough the next morning it had arrived , I filled it all in and sent a photo copy of my old one , cheque and a small photo from my last s g c , a few days later I got a friendly call to say can I send a more up to date photo , this I did and this week I got another call to say everything is in order and as they are behind a bit they will extend my old s g c by eight weeks and they will send me a letter nearer to the time to confirm my extra eight weeks .

All in all I have had excellent service from Norfolk Firearms and always have done in the past , same as your good self , no medical letter required , well not at the moment touch wood .