Licence renewed But..

powler

so i started at the thin end of the edge free to walk through the village with a firearm on my arm and now? let’s see i have to jump over countless fences drain my wallet have the third degree from some power monkey conduct shooting business like a dirty secret under attack from all sides topped of by the quack robbing me think that puts me three quarters along the wedge now the end is definitely in sight still so long as i pay my shooting organisation why worry lol 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, clangerman said:

good for you there’s something wrong when the people who decide if we can hold tickets are allowed to black mail us 

That’s a fair point, and as it isn’t a requirement by law, it’s not an exaggeration to describe it as such. 
I’m still awaiting the 10 year ticket life span Mike Eveleigh told me we would be getting as ‘ a compromise’ for the GP say so. 
Heigh ho....those organisation fees still worth it? 🙂

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

That’s a fair point, and as it isn’t a requirement by law, it’s not an exaggeration to describe it as such. 
I’m still awaiting the 10 year ticket life span Mike Eveleigh told me we would be getting as ‘ a compromise’ for the GP say so. 
Heigh ho....those organisation fees still worth it? 🙂

rather burn the money than pay my org but need the insurance pathetic excuse really but think they should at least make some effort to stop us being black mailed stating no letter no ticket is outrageous 

3 hours ago, JDog said:

There are some strong replies on this thread. Let's hope that when renewal comes round again there are different Doctor's receptionists in place.

I was never asked to supply a Doctor's certificate when my renewal was due recently. I can only assume that both Lincolnshire Constabulary and the local GP both assumed that I was dead.

🤣

Did the GP tell you how much they propose to charge you prior to doing it? And explain how they arrive at the sum they are demanding?........or do they just do it without your agreement.......then bill you an amount they decide? Do they tell you, they will refuse to do it, if you do not pay whatever they are demanding?....if so that sounds pretty close to illegal to me!.....Blackmail? Demanding money with threats/menaces?

I’m struggling to see the problem here? I had to have an annual medical examination for a race car licence. Any step that’s made to help prevent a nutter getting a gun can only be a good thing for us in the future. In the past, when they’ve slipped through the net, it’s only ended badly for us. So I am very happy that all medical information is accessed. As for the cost, why should doctors do it free of charge? Their time, overheads etc. £10 a year isn’t exactly a life changing sum of money. All those who think it’s a smart move not to pay, may just find, as others have, their doctor will no longer provide the service. 

14 hours ago, clangerman said:

so i started at the thin end of the edge free to walk through the village with a firearm on my arm and now? let’s see i have to jump over countless fences drain my wallet have the third degree from some power monkey conduct shooting business like a dirty secret under attack from all sides topped of by the quack robbing me think that puts me three quarters along the wedge now the end is definitely in sight still so long as i pay my shooting organisation why worry lol 

Regrettably it is a different country now to when you got your gun licence from the post office.

not against the medical reporting but it should be either included in the certificate fee  or the same set fee For everybody with the GP and not a post code lotto.

Edited by rbrowning2

45 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

I’m struggling to see the problem here? I had to have an annual medical examination for a race car licence. Any step that’s made to help prevent a nutter getting a gun can only be a good thing for us in the future. In the past, when they’ve slipped through the net, it’s only ended badly for us. So I am very happy that all medical information is accessed. As for the cost, why should doctors do it free of charge? Their time, overheads etc. £10 a year isn’t exactly a life changing sum of money. All those who think it’s a smart move not to pay, may just find, as others have, their doctor will no longer provide the service. 

i doubt my GP would accept installments:hmm:

if you can predict anyone losing their mind we would have no gun knife or any other incidents these letters are a blatant lie by the police to bring further restrictions on us via black mail encouraged by people complying with their bullying future generations will only be able to own firearms if we stand up for them now 

43 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

i doubt my GP would accept installments

I know we have cabin fever, but really? Your RFD probably wouldn’t for a slab either! 
A rod licence would cost the same as a med cert and shotgun cert. Then the bonus for a high proportion of us is privileged access to an enviable lifestyle for free!

25 minutes ago, clangerman said:

if you can predict anyone losing their mind we would have no gun knife or any other incidents these letters are a blatant lie by the police to bring further restrictions on us via black mail encouraged by people complying with their bullying future generations will only be able to own firearms if we stand up for them now 

Words fail me!

You should be more concerned that pilots are now free to drop chemicals on us again, probably from Bill Gates own lab!,😂😂

9013D126-87FC-41D9-B7D1-A5F914685594.jpeg

Edited by turbo33

39 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

I know we have cabin fever, but really? Your RFD probably wouldn’t for a slab either! 
A rod licence would cost the same as a med cert and shotgun cert. Then the bonus for a high proportion of us is privileged access to an enviable lifestyle for free!

Words fail me!

You should be more concerned that pilots are now free to drop chemicals on us again, probably from Bill Gates own lab!,😂😂

9013D126-87FC-41D9-B7D1-A5F914685594.jpeg

don’t forget the tin foil hat lol

2 hours ago, turbo33 said:

But its a service thats already paid for when you apply. The files can be accessed, for free but nobody wants to take any flak incase something goes wrong by making the judgement and now they know this they can charge what they like. Anyway Its not a flat fee, it might be £20 for some but others on this forum have been told £200+. Its extortion. Even a 'big' shooting association has jumped on the bandwagon and started charging its members for the use of their doctor. Solution for some, still daylight robbery. 

Im happy for my files to be scrutinised, but im going to fight my hardest not to pay a fee. Isnt that what the police interview used to be for?? Assessment of character and judgement of the applicant. Might as well scrap that then.

Also if thats the case then, shouldnt insurance providers get us to have mental health checks before we get behind the wheel, or even worse, own a gun? Yes you get asked to disclose medical conditions for a vehicle licence, and as far as im aware thats free, and too my knowledge more people die on the road then gun crime in this country... 

16 minutes ago, Cheshirelad said:

I'm surprised you got your certificate back without the doctor's note. In Cheshire, it's a case of no doctor's note, no certificate.

I was surprised to see the letter from the doctors asking for payment as license's already been given, was going to ring Malvern firearms again this morning to ask if they still needed the report but had a busy morning.

Will pay it if they still require it as they way this year as gone for so far something is bound to go wrong with my current luck.

Anyways does anyone know if this is a one off payment as if the FEO requires a report and someone's medical record to be flagged so the doctors have to notify the FEO of a mental issue, then come next renewal if there has been no alert to the FEO then there would of been no mental issue, so next renewal they would not need a written report, if that makes sense?

Mick

3 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

But its a service thats already paid for when you apply. The files can be accessed, for free but nobody wants to take any flak incase something goes wrong by making the judgement and now they know this they can charge what they like. Anyway Its not a flat fee, it might be £20 for some but others on this forum have been told £200+. Its extortion. Even a 'big' shooting association has jumped on the bandwagon and started charging its members for the use of their doctor. Solution for some, still daylight robbery. 

Im happy for my files to be scrutinised, but im going to fight my hardest not to pay a fee. Isnt that what the police interview used to be for?? Assessment of character and judgement of the applicant. Might as well scrap that then.

Also if thats the case then, shouldnt insurance providers get us to have mental health checks before we get behind the wheel, or even worse, own a gun? Yes you get asked to disclose medical conditions for a vehicle licence, and as far as im aware thats free, and too my knowledge more people die on the road then gun crime in this country... 

We pay for the certificate, the medical report is not included in the fee, unless that’s changed recently, so you can enlighten me. The licensing fee already costs the tax payer to subsidise it. We are lucky it’s not more, and on an annual basis! As far as the range of fees differ,  unfortunately this is where it will go if people don’t pay. It will then have to be a private consultation akin to Nhs or private dental care. We will all be inconvenienced and charged more due to the actions of the narrow minded. 

Character assessment as you term it, is just that. Like anything now, risk assessment has become paramount for so many obvious reasons. The issue of mental health has become a recognised situation over recent years, and with these extraordinary times, clearly going to get worse. As far as I’m aware, doctors have the power to inform DVLA of a drivers un suitability to have a driving license.  This isn’t a vendetta, conspiracy or black mail, it’s for the safety of the driver and general public. Circumstances change, and someone who was suitable to hold a firearms Cert or driving license last year or in our case, 5 years ago, may not be now. 

I’m confident that if any of the moaners and those that refuse to to pay on here, had a family tragedy at the hands of someone using a firearm for which they were granted a certificate,  and it later transpired, had serious questions about his medical suitability, none of you would be saying, “Oh well, Cest la vis, at least he got away without paying for a his medical notes”

Edited by turbo33

Mick, you'll need a doctor's letter at every renewal, so you'll need to pay the doctor every 5 years. If there is a real/serious problem with a mental issue, you may not get your certificate, but it really depends on what the doctor has written.

Edited by Cheshirelad

4 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

👍

In February I had to go to the Doctor to see about a sebaceous cyst in the corner of my eye as it sometimes feels a little sore and can affect my match shooting. I explained this to the new female Doctor who was quite interested in my shooting and referred me to the eye clinic  I have just sent off for my coterminous tickets and have not had any request  from West Midlands/Staffordshire police, so fingers crossed that if I do, my new Doctor will be OK with it.  

When I renewed 5 years ago my Doctor was contacted but didn't reply to the letter and my renewal went through without a hitch. Why the change from what the government first intended; it worked then why not now. 

Edited by Graham M

2 hours ago, turbo33 said:

We pay for the certificate, the medical report is not included in the fee, unless that’s changed recently, so you can enlighten me. The licensing fee already costs the tax payer to subsidise it. We are lucky it’s not more, and on an annual basis! As far as the range of fees differ,  unfortunately this is where it will go if people don’t pay. It will then have to be a private consultation akin to Nhs or private dental care. We will all be inconvenienced and charged more due to the actions of the narrow minded. 

Character assessment as you term it, is just that. Like anything now, risk assessment has become paramount for so many obvious reasons. The issue of mental health has become a recognised situation over recent years, and with these extraordinary times, clearly going to get worse. As far as I’m aware, doctors have the power to inform DVLA of a drivers un suitability to have a driving license.  This isn’t a vendetta, conspiracy or black mail, it’s for the safety of the driver and general public. Circumstances change, and someone who was suitable to hold a firearms Cert or driving license last year or in our case, 5 years ago, may not be now. 

I’m confident that if any of the moaners and those that refuse to to pay on here, had a family tragedy at the hands of someone using a firearm for which they were granted a certificate,  and it later transpired, had serious questions about his medical suitability, none of you would be saying, “Oh well, Cest la vis, at least he got away without paying for a his medical notes”

my GP surgery gets a fee for me being a patient of theirs but do you think i can get an appointment when i need one??

as a so called moaner at being told no letter no ticket to black mail me into complying i shot with a nut who out of the blue asked if i had ever thought about shooting somebody but we need have no concern about this accident waiting to happen because this wonderful idea of a gp letter will prevent it or maybe NOT! 

14 minutes ago, clangerman said:

as a so called moaner at being told no letter no ticket to black mail me into complying i shot with a nut who out of the blue asked if i had ever thought about shooting somebody but we need have no concern about this accident waiting to happen because this wonderful idea of a gp letter will prevent it or maybe NOT! 

What a decent chap you are, for not bringing it to anyone’s attention! We need more Thoughtful  thinkers such as yourself!👍👍

38 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

What a decent chap you are, for not bringing it to anyone’s attention! We need more Thoughtful  thinkers such as yourself!👍👍

not done badly for nuts over the years one farmer blew his toes of duck shooting  another almost lost his teaching someone to shoot and the land lord peppered a friend shooting rabbits with us hence these days I stick anyone under fifty on a separate field to me always safety first especially mine!