Licence renewed But..

powler

On 28/05/2020 at 10:33, oowee said:

As I understand it the issue is more the Government guidelines than the Chief Constable. The guidelines are not instructions and the CC has to be satisfied in his or her own mind to issue the ticket. If they decide, as they are apparently allowed to do, that a Dr'ss letter is required then it is a failing of the guidance. 

As I understand it the chief constable association were involved in negotiations, and agreed the Home Office guidance? As did the GP’s......the GP’s then reneged on the agreement, because they wanted payment for their involvement, and wouldn’t comply if they didn’t, subsequently the police also reneged on the agreement, by supporting the GP’s blackmail...........because the police wanted GP’s involvement in the licensing process? The police weren’t going to stand the cost of GP involvement.........so they forced the financial responsibility on to gun owners! By using/misusing the “to the satisfaction of the chief officer of police” clause in the granting of gun licences! By introducing a rule stating “no GP’s letter, no licence”
That is where we are now! Both the police and the GP’s reneged on the agreement that led to the Home Office Guidance.........it’s nothing to do with public safety it’s about who pays the money!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

As I understand it the chief constable association were involved in negotiations, and agreed the Home Office guidance? As did the GP’s......the GP’s then reneged on the agreement, because they wanted payment for their involvement, and wouldn’t comply if they didn’t, subsequently the police also reneged on the agreement, by supporting the GP’s blackmail...........because the police wanted GP’s involvement in the licensing process? The police weren’t going to stand the cost of GP involvement.........so they forced the financial responsibility on to gun owners! By using/misusing the “to the satisfaction of the chief officer of police” clause in the granting of gun licences! By introducing a rule stating “no GP’s letter, no licence”
That is where we are now! Both the police and the GP’s reneged on the agreement that led to the Home Office Guidance.........it’s nothing to do with public safety it’s about who pays the money!

Fully appreciiate what you are saying. It is for the Home Office to set the rules and they have decided that the Chief Constable must be satisfied to issue a licence. To some extent I agree that this is the right thing to do. They must be able to use their discretion but their discretion should be limited regarding additional requirements.

IE If you put anything on your form that raises a suspicion for concern then a doctors report should be required (how it was intended to work). Rather than allowing the discretion that a report is required in all circumstances. Alternatively ask us all to provide the report with a standardised cost across the country. Either way it is for the Home Office (Govt) to reset the instructions to ensure an even handed approach. 

Mine is due for renewal in Nov. Local force is saying dont put in for any variations. Its an on line form so I am hoping its all straightforward 🤞

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Fully appreciiate what you are saying. It is for the Home Office to set the rules and they have decided that the Chief Constable must be satisfied to issue a licence. To some extent I agree that this is the right thing to do. They must be able to use their discretion but their discretion should be limited regarding additional requirements.

IE If you put anything on your form that raises a suspicion for concern then a doctors report should be required (how it was intended to work). Rather than allowing the discretion that a report is required in all circumstances. Alternatively ask us all to provide the report with a standardised cost across the country. Either way it is for the Home Office (Govt) to reset the instructions to ensure an even handed approach. 

Mine is due for renewal in Nov. Local force is saying dont put in for any variations. Its an on line form so I am hoping its all straightforward 🤞

That’s the “rub”.....to “the satisfaction of the Chief officer of police“ can, if abused (and I believe it is being abused!) mean anything! That can mean that if an applicant does not comply, no matter how outlandish, with what they’re instructed, By and at the whim of some public employee (rather than the law!)......then they don’t get a licence!

I agree with the first sentence in the second paragraph! 

Good luck with your renewal in November!