Wet shave.

samboy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Lord v said:

DE with feather blades, a good shaving soap/cream applied with a Badger brush. Sometimes going back is the way forward. 

That’s what I use. Have been using it for years and changed from expensive multi-bladed razors when I kept getting bad shaving irritation around the neck.

I use a Merkur DE with Feather blades and Arko shaving cream.

16 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I've never done anything else but wet shave with a safety razor in all my sixty-two years on this earth. Don't bother with shaving cream. Just wet the face or if you have it use clean soapy water. Never owned an electric razor ever. And when there's no water I've just shaved dry. Which as long as the razor's blade is new isn't at all as bad as it sounds it should be. Although you do wince a bit when doing the top lip.

You've been shaving since birth? 

Funnily enough after this thread I had a wet shave last night. 

i have thick stubble so used a bic to trim it down followed by a Mach3 and canned foam. 

I do have a brush and Arko along with a DE but I just can’t seem to get the technique due to being a ‘harsh’ shaver using far too much pressure. 

I normally go to the turkish barbers once a month or so and have a trim to stubble and a shape up, badger brush, hot lather, hot towel, scalp and face massage - a few months ago I went and said blow it and had a full shave done - face felt brilliant - wife told me off as she doesn't like a bare face. I went on the day of lockdown but the turks were already closed so went to another one round the corner which I was able to get in that only used a broiler - still f-in charged more than the turks 😞

I like going as it is a little treat to myself - as for doing it myself I will run an electric trimmer over it down to stubble occasionally but it has been at least 6 weeks now and will have to do it soon

I use a double edge Merkur and have tried various blades, to date, Feather, Lord, Voskhod and Merkur.  There is a huge variation in the prices of blades from about 5p each (Derby brand) to about 50p each (Feather).  Having tried a few now, I have generally found the expensive ones to be good and good for several shaves, as would be hoped, but I have also found that some of the cheap ones are also not bad ......... whereas others don't last well at all.

If im out and about on my off days i opt for a turkish hot shave and shave my head  , ive had everything from my face & head shaved 3 times to getting a message whist waiting on the hot towel to soften the bristles at different places and all for the saME £25 lol 

13 hours ago, Bigbob said:

If im out and about on my off days i opt for a turkish hot shave and shave my head  , ive had everything from my face & head shaved 3 times to getting a message whist waiting on the hot towel to soften the bristles at different places and all for the saME £25 lol 

I think it depends on where you are in the country on price £16 for that in Lincolnshire, good old Turkish shave cannot beat it