Wet shave.

samboy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

I spend 3 months a year in turkey, ( Not this year alas) the full monty thats haircut, shave, hair wash, massage, ear wax to remove hairs and nose hairs trimmed out is 50 lira. 8.35 lira to the £.

I had that in Turkey but the ear hairs were removed with a lighted taper. Traditional I was told, frightening I thought when he approached with the mets soaked taper fully ablaze, but was completely painless. The shave was by cut throat, also frightening but painless. 

I wonder if PC gets his tash trimmed whilst in Turkey :whistling:

OB

My electric razor arrived yesterday, a Gillette disposal one to test out for £16. My normal shave is King of Shaves oil, soap lather applied with badger brush, then Gillette Mach 3, rubbing alcohol to finish.

Too many ingrown hairs so prompted the change to a habit of a lifetime. My first ever electric shave went well, easy to use out of the box. However, it put a severe damper on marital relations later that evening as apparently my face felt like sandpaper 😢

Wet shave every day for me.I usually use aldi disposables.I am thinking of going back to traditional DE bladed razors.I didn't realise how many there are,open comb,closed comb and variations in between.

Any recommendations or ones to avoid please?

2 hours ago, wisdom said:

I have only ever used a Merkur Futur, but also have a Merkur Vision I have never got round to using (still in its box!). 

My advice would be to buy something cheap and basic to see if you like it because they come in prices from under £10 to well over £100.  I believe those with a 'open comb' are more aggressive than those with a 'closed comb'.  Trouble is - what suits one person may not suit another.  The Merkurs I have are adjustable (which pushes the price up), but in practice, I never adjust now I have found the setting I like.

I have a nice electric shaver that does for a quick rub over my face. If I'm going out of an evening with Mrs Figgy I use a double edged Edwin Jagger  barley twist with Trumpers or Taylor's of old bond Street rose shaving cream or soap and feather blades. If I've let it grow a bit. I have a disposable blade Japanese open razor, got a few scars off it over the years when not concentrating. I don't use it when taking the Mrs out, not a good look, superglue trying to hold your face together as blood runs down your face.

Lately I look like right scruff with stubble going grey around my chin like a old dog.

4 hours ago, wisdom said:

Wet shave every day for me.I usually use aldi disposables.I am thinking of going back to traditional DE bladed razors.I didn't realise how many there are,open comb,closed comb and variations in between.

Open combed I understand are for long stubble. I bought a Chinese copy of a well known German brand for about £6 from ebay 12 years or more ago and its still a great razor. It was from a British shaving site and not sent from China. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Vintage-Stainless-Steel-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Shaver-Blade-Case-Set-/193442878206

42 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I didn't know there were so many types of razors,  I'm trying to think of the ones that get advertised as being good but not silly priced like Gillette can be, Starts with a H?

Harry's shaving?

59 minutes ago, washerboy said:

If you go a head and buy one then let me know I have a box of 5 blades unopened I can send you. I buy them in a carton of a hundred. 

Very kind offer thank you.

I have ordered the one in the link,Will see how I get on.

Thanks; I have recently received 100 of them - but not tried them yet.  Paid £8.45 for 100 delivered (Amazon).  I'm glad you like them as I hope I will.  I do like Feather, but they are expensive.  Oddly, I didn't get on well with Merkur's own brand.