Wet shave.

samboy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a haircut and ear hair burn with tapers, once, at a Turkish barber in Paris when I last lived there from 2015 to 2019. Never again. It was all good until the bit at the end where they try to break you neck with a quick head snap. 

As a British kid growing up in Britain in the 1960s who remembers "singeing"? As people had the idea that your hair bled from its ends when cut? I also often saw the old guys having the ear hair burn with a taper too. So that was done in the UK by British barbers too.

There'd be a lobby in most where you came and and went out and paid. So you never walked directly in to or out of the shop. And you'd hear, yes, the barber asking his customers as they paid if they wanted "Anything for the weekend?"

9 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I had a haircut and ear hair burn with tapers, once, at a Turkish barber in Paris when I last lived there from 2015 to 2019. Never again. It was all good until the bit at the end where they try to break you neck with a quick head snap. 

As a British kid growing up in Britain in the 1960s who remembers "singeing"? As people had the idea that your hair bled from its ends when cut? I also often saw the old guys having the ear hair burn with a taper too. So that was done in the UK by British barbers too.

There'd be a lobby in most where you came and and went out and paid. So you never walked directly in to or out of the shop. And you'd hear, yes, the barber asking his customers as they paid if they wanted "Anything for the weekend?"

what like.............." a broard spectrum antibiotic ......"

• 3 weeks later...

Astra blades for me, last for ages with a Rockwell 6s razor. It's stainless steel with 3 double sided plates numbered 1 to 6. Once you find the right setting for your beard type,( 1 is the mildest ) it's brilliant, smooth as silk. It's not cheap but they also do a chrome version (6c), which is about half the price but just as smooth.Start with the lowest number and work up till you find your comfort zone.

On 19/05/2020 at 18:07, washerboy said:

I buy 100 blades every 2 yrs or so. Astra Platinum. Use it with a butterfly type safety razor. 

On 19/05/2020 at 20:51, Lord v said:

DE with feather blades, a good shaving soap/cream applied with a Badger brush. Sometimes going back is the way forward. 

On 19/05/2020 at 21:40, humperdingle said:

That’s what I use. Have been using it for years and changed from expensive multi-bladed razors when I kept getting bad shaving irritation around the neck.

I use a Merkur DE with Feather blades and Arko shaving cream.

On 20/05/2020 at 13:35, screamingdead said:

Astra Platinum for me as well along with a Merkur slant safety razor 37. Tried feather blades but they're almost too sharp.

On 20/05/2020 at 22:08, Lord v said:

A single bladed razor helps massively with ingrown hairs. 

4 hours ago, supatex said:

Astra blades for me, last for ages with a Rockwell 6s razor. It's stainless steel with 3 double sided plates numbered 1 to 6. Once you find the right setting for your beard type,( 1 is the mildest ) it's brilliant, smooth as silk. It's not cheap but they also do a chrome version (6c), which is about half the price but just as smooth.Start with the lowest number and work up till you find your comfort zone.

Same as all of the above. Ditched multi blade razors and got myself a double edged safety razor. I got a Edwin Jagger DE89 and settled on Astra Green blades, I use Taylor of old Bond Street cream and a good brush. A great shave with no ingrowing hairs or snagging and so much cheaper than multi blade razors and canned gunk. 

ATB 

Matt

I've used a Wilkinson plastic safety razor and Wilkinson blades since 2010, but swapped to Feathers cut in half and an E-Bay £2.99 disposable cut-throat  the last few months.   Very gentle shave with little shaving rash.  The razor is damn fiddly and plasticly, I'll buy a better one at some point.  

After 30 years of shaving with whatever was to hand every morning/evening/start of shift, regardless of how hung over I was, in whatever country I found myself in, the rules have changed and I’m allowed a beard, happy days.

I have been embracing the beard since April, but decided to chop it all off and regrow it. It was once I had removed it that I realised I didn’t actually like my own face. 

Beard now back on!

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Absolute garbage - blades are made of jelly - 3 shaves and they're burgarred.

And the same price as Mach3 in Sainsbury's. TV advertising isn't cheap - they're running an identical scam as Gilette. Still a lot of plastic to land fill

It's even worse than it initially sounds because I pre shave with a Merkur then use disposable blade razors to finish the job so they're not actually doing much work. In all honesty I think the WS Hydro3 is about as good as i've tried if you throw sharpness and cost into the equation.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update.

I started with a cheap de razor on e bay.

Very good I have to say.Now I have moved on to an Edwin Jagger and what a difference.

Thanks to washerboy for the Astra blades.Best shave to date.I have tried others but the Astra blades really suit me.

Found the shark blades terrible in comparison.

50 minutes ago, wisdom said:

Just a little update.

I started with a cheap de razor on e bay.

Very good I have to say.Now I have moved on to an Edwin Jagger and what a difference.

Thanks to washerboy for the Astra blades.Best shave to date.I have tried others but the Astra blades really suit me.

Found the shark blades terrible in comparison.

Brilliant, glad you liked them.