Generator - no output

Ricko

Hi everybody,

I hope that you are all well.

Today's project was an old generator that has been tucked away in a shed, ig looks quite useful as it has 110/240V ac and 12V dc outputs.

I've got the engine running but there is no output from the generator.

Any advice/thoughts, as ever, are welcome.

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

does it need exiting ?

Is this where you plug in a drill and twist it manually?

I've just had a go at that using a corded drill, it causes the voltmeter needle to flick up when I twist it but doesn't seem to have cured it.

Do I have to do it for a long time?

3 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Have you flicked the switch in the middle to either  240 v or 110 v  ?

Its a simple thing to forget..it happens on site all the time .

Yeah, thanks, I did that.

I can imagine what it can be like 'on site'!!

exciting is when you with a wire run the electricity thro the body of the machine momentary .........its either that or a diode gone .....

old seagull engine needed re-magnitising sometimes................ 

Edited by ditchman

Very likely needs exciting.  What happens is when they are not used, the magnetism decays and with no remaining permanent magnetism, it doesn't generate enough power to energise the field coils.  On Lister diesel generators with a Brush alternator, there were 12V coils that could be used from a 12 V car battery to run them up to speed (like a starter, but using compression relief).  The magnetism from the starter coils was enough to excite the main alternator.  If you started it 'on the handle' (e.g. if the battery was flat), unless it had been used recently, it didn't excite.

I would suggest you google the make and model re exciting it as I don't know how to do it other than a Lister/Brush type.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Many older generators can suffer from a decay of exciter magnetism,flashing across exciter circuit terminals with a 12v battery can sometimes re-energise the generator worth a try " do not connect terminals just flash momentarily"or the coil could burn out as it can literally a short circuit across a battery.

1 hour ago, williamwansbeck said:

Many older generators can suffer from a decay of exciter magnetism,flashing across exciter circuit terminals with a 12v battery can sometimes re-energise the generator worth a try " do not connect terminals just flash momentarily"or the coil could burn out as it can literally a short circuit across a battery.

thank you...thats what i had trying to explain......................i had an old petrol Koler genny...it had a loose wire and a little brass stud on the alternator which you had to spark when it was running so it would kick in...

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

Old seagull engine needed re-magnitising sometimes................ 

Jeez, that's another project that I need to address at some point!!

(Bent crank i suspect)

1 hour ago, williamwansbeck said:

I'll have a read up about this.

It's not 'named' genny but it started easy enough after 5 years in the shed so it needs saving.