Long night but worth it๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Phil9

Hi all,, went out today with my son to zero my new optics iv fitted on my 223,,after zeroing in we decided to stay for a while,,spoke to the farmer who told me heโ€™d seen a fox ๐ŸฆŠ lately and 2 nights ago had taken 1 of his cat's!!! Decided to have a look about for signs ect,, over the next few hours we managed 2 huge hares at 156 yards and 138 yards,,,around 8:30pm we were sat patiently waiting in our chosen spot,,calling the fox every so often but didnโ€™t show,, so I thought,, my son says there it is dad,, it was sat right at the boundary about 600 yards away๐Ÿ™„,, I kept calling and calling got him within around ย 170 yards Then he turned and trotted off before I could pull the trigger,,,we moved further down the field towards were she went,,,, got into a new position and started to call again within seconds she showed herself,,, click and that was it,, over she rolled square in the chest,,@ 246yards,, needless to say we were well chuffed๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐ŸฆŠ

D8640314-3067-4297-B9B1-807F837A48CC.jpeg

19 minutes ago, scolopax said:

More concernedย youย shot two hares at this time of year, why?

Ditto here. ย  No point as far as I can see.

Never seen a fox catch a cat but I have observed them doing the stalking part on several occasions.ย 

I wonโ€™t shoot hates anymore ... sad that they cancelled the coursing IMO as a hare will make a fool out of a running dog most of the time and itโ€™s a sight to behold.ย 
ย 

Sadly there was so much illegal hare coursing on land without permission that many land owners want them shot now as it stops the running dog folk poaching their land.ย 
ย 

Also spots around the country there are hundreds of them and theyโ€™re just a pest.ย 

I generally donโ€™t shoot hares,, but when ur on land that you have gained permission to shoot,, and the farmer asks you to ,, then in my opinion you do ask your asked within reason,, and as I checked the breading season is February,,, not now๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ,, but as I said I dnt shoot hares unless asked to control them,,you never no with land owners,, you say no and thatโ€™s it your off!!! There are 2 other older guys who shoot the land aswel,, shotgun only,, and as I was walking round,, weโ€™re they had been a week previously they had left all there empty cartridges everywhere and coke cans,,needless to say me and my son picked up around 170 empty shells๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿคฌ.

I'm afraid needs must in many sitiations these days.ย  Had to help out to reduce the hare numbers on an estate a couple of years ago where they had plenty but constantly twice three times a week people tearing round on growing crops in 4x4s chasing dogs chasing hares.ย  Logs and bales across gateways but of course a nuisance as they had to move them every time they needed to spray or fertilise etc.ย  A normal gate wouldn't last a night and would vanish. Had two stolen from my ground and now have purpose built heavy gates with address etc etc welded all over them.ย ย  No I hate having to shoot one mainly because I don't like them to eat.

19 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I'm afraid needs must in many sitiations these days.ย  Had to help out to reduce the hare numbers on an estate a couple of years ago where they had plenty but constantly twice three times a week people tearing round on growing crops in 4x4s chasing dogs chasing hares.ย  Logs and bales across gateways but of course a nuisance as they had to move them every time they needed to spray or fertilise etc.ย  A normal gate wouldn't last a night and would vanish. Had two stolen from my ground and now have purpose built heavy gates with address etc etc welded all over them.ย ย  No I hate having to shoot one mainly because I don't like them to eat.

Exactly 100% correct Walker570, the list goes on unfortunately having to do things which people don't want to because of some of the things mentioned.

Its not just people look at the fox when young a very cute little thing but can also cause a serious amount of trouble and needs to be dealt with.

same as a magpie, jay and even the old Woody beautiful in their own right but need to be controlled.

like Phil9 said he doesn't like shooting hares as most of us don't but he might be in an area where there are plenty and hare coursers are a major problem.

As shooters we don't want to kill everything and contrary to what a lot of people think we love to see plenty of wildlife about and get up close even with the camera/ phone as with yesterday evening had a nice Roe Buck come and say hello

just to finish its great to be out and stay safe everybody.

On 20/05/2020 at 08:54, Walker570 said:

Nice one. Some people don't realise that cats are a fox's favorite food. Frequently saw town foxes around Solihull, West Mids., carrying off a cat to feed young, when I worked nights.

Omg wish I hadnโ€™t shot so many

Phil, they start breeding in February but continue right through until late summer. Peak breeding is around now. Now you have shot a few you can maybe you cannot see anymore until Septemberย ? ย 

Edited by scolopax

50 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Phil, they start breeding in February but continue right through until late summer. Peak breeding is around now. Now you have shot a few you can maybe you cannot see anymore until Septemberย ? ย 

Ok mate thanks ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป