Northern Ireland WW2.

ordnance

Some might be interested in this program on BBC i player,  about Northern Ireland in WW2. They recover a spitfire machine guns buried since the war, and are able to clean and fire them. Also drive one of few Churchill tanks still operational. 

Dan Snow investigates the history of the Second World War in Northern Ireland.

I was fishing near to Eglington Airport, Derry and a.local told me a B17 went down on the Foyle and did a landing similar to the famous one on the river  Hudson . The crew stood on the wings and were saved by locals..If true that would make good TV.

On 20/05/2020 at 13:06, Robertt said:

I was fishing near to Eglington Airport, Derry and a.local told me a B17 went down on the Foyle and did a landing similar to the famous one on the river  Hudson . The crew stood on the wings and were saved by locals..If true that would make good TV.

That plane was discovered by a Donegal diving club from Greencastle which is in The Inishowen peninsula where I live.

Greencastle is directly across the Foyle from Magilligan point and the American pilot of that plane met a lady that was one of his rescuers in the Maritime Museum in Greencastle after 60yrs.

The museum is very interesting and also houses a Gunning Punt that was active on the Foyle at one time.

Interestingly you say you where near Eglington! Well there was another plane that went down and crashed into Enagh lough in Maydown during WW2 killing all 3 passengers. My father told me about it when I was young as we passed it often.