Help with new truck...

Eyefor

...please.

I'm struggling find what I'm looking for so I thought I would ask for help.

I have a 2005 Subaru Forester 2.0 XT petrol auto  which I've had from new and, when the dealer offered me £583 for it in 2017 in part exchange when I bought a new Forester, I've kept it as a shooting truck / dog wagon.  

It is still a great motor (if a little small) but after 3 years of trouble free (cheap) motoring it is looking a bit sad and it needs to retire plus I reckon it will let me down just when I need it most and when it is the most inconvenient. 

Also, I think there may be some vehicle / finance deals shortly available due to current high stock levels of new and used motors. Apparently, some car manufacturers & dealers in the US are offering 8 years interest free deals on new and used vehicles.

Replacement vehicle preferences - Auto, diesel, decent towing capacity, NO VAT, not Monster size - standard 4 door Amarok, Hilux or Isuzu are just too big and the rear seats are of no use to me. SWB shogun commercial too small, LWB shogun commercial too big - plus 2ft towbar to get past the spare wheel on the tail gate.

Landcruiser LC3 or LC4. Not really a truck for getting dirty and silly money for old vehicles. New (ish) Landcruiser commercial - still too new, are above budget and I haven't seen one without VAT.

The 11/2 door open back pick up models like Ford Ranger Super Cab, Isuzu D-Max extended cab and Toyota Extra cab I quite like - but they're all manual but one of these may be the best idea as I think I will have to compromise somewhere.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (electric hybrid) a bit small and v low towing capacity.

Land Rover Disco 4 commercial.....too unreliable and expensive to maintain.

Merc G wagon - expensive repairs. 

Old 3.5 or 2.5 diesel Range Rover 2 door - can't find a decent one.

I'm out of ideas and would welcome vehicle suggestions.

Edited by Eyefor

3 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Try the freelander 2 auto box good all rounder with decent tyres will do all you want good towing capacity aswell

Thanks but No1 son has a 65 plate Freelander and has had a load of trouble with it.

knowing what i know now........i wont have another 4x4 ever again unless it is one of those little jap ones....i would have a nice pick up truck have a canvas tilt and sticks made for it ....good set of tyres and and nice winch on the front..................

anyway that just me.........

52 minutes ago, ditchman said:

knowing what i know now........i wont have another 4x4 ever again unless it is one of those little jap ones....i would have a nice pick up truck have a canvas tilt and sticks made for it ....good set of tyres and and nice winch on the front..................

anyway that just me.........

I still regret selling the Fourtrak.

Got a picture somewhere of it pulling a Range Rover out of the mud in a rising tide along the Southwold river. " Short cut to the pub, dear"!  

I chose a hilux instead as I have plenty of space. the back seats are perfect with a hammock for safe storage of firearms and the pick up for keeping dead stuff ut of the cab. I have removed the hard top and replaced it with a hard load cover which improves reversing. Mine is a 2.4 and ity will comfortably return 35 to the gallon on the road. 

Mate swapped a freelander for a landcruiser but complains its too heavy when the ground is wet. I would choose a freelander if I was looking for something smaller without the pick up. My wife runs a disco sport (freelander replacement) and its superb. Fault free after 2 1/2 years apart from rodents chewing through the wiring harness. Would have considered the volvo xc but wont buy Chinese by choice.  

On 20/05/2020 at 10:09, Eyefor said:

standard 4 door Amarok, Hilux or Isuzu are just too big and the rear seats are of no use to me

I don't quite understand this.  I have an L200 and an old Discovery, which I will tart up and sell post Lockdown.  The pickup is no more difficult to park, drive round town, wind down narrow lanes etc than the Disco, despite being a little longer.

I don't have small people, and very rarely carry any more than one passenger, but nevertheless the rear seats are useful, as Owwee/Grant intimates above.  And the separate loadspace is a real boon.  There's a reason these pickups are popular.  The 1.5 door models are available, but rarer and will command a premium, for a less usable vehicle in my opinion.

My biggest complaint is the L200 series 5 in Auto is thirsty, but am not using it for commuting, so will just live with it

19 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I don't quite understand this.  I have an L200 and an old Discovery, which I will tart up and sell post Lockdown.  The pickup is no more difficult to park, drive round town, wind down narrow lanes etc than the Disco, despite being a little longer.

I don't have small people, and very rarely carry any more than one passenger, but nevertheless the rear seats are useful, as Owwee/Grant intimates above.  And the separate loadspace is a real boon.  There's a reason these pickups are popular.  The 1.5 door models are available, but rarer and will command a premium, for a less usable vehicle in my opinion.

My biggest complaint is the L200 series 5 in Auto is thirsty, but am not using it for commuting, so will just live with it

The 1.5 door models (Ford super or King cab, Isuzu extended cab, Toyota Extra cab, Nissan king cab or Mitsubishi club cab) give me all I need from a passenger compartment but with the added advantage of a longer load bed?

Also, the bigger trucks with rear a canopy are a pita to park where I currently live (I have to reverse off a main road and around a corner) - but we are moving next year (self build, in year 4 of a 2 year project....) where parking is not an issue.

Fuel economy I am not interested in. My annual mileage will be less than 5000 which may be why an advert for a P38 Range Rover in 2.5 diesel keeps drawing me back.

7 hours ago, Eyefor said:

The 1.5 door models (Ford super or King cab, Isuzu extended cab, Toyota Extra cab, Nissan king cab or Mitsubishi club cab) give me all I need from a passenger compartment but with the added advantage of a longer load bed?

Also, the bigger trucks with rear a canopy are a pita to park where I currently live (I have to reverse off a main road and around a corner) - but we are moving next year (self build, in year 4 of a 2 year project....) where parking is not an issue.

Fuel economy I am not interested in. My annual mileage will be less than 5000 which may be why an advert for a P38 Range Rover in 2.5 diesel keeps drawing me back.

Unless I am mistaken the 1.5 cabs are the same size as a standard pickup as you gain bed length while loosing the body. 
personally I have had l200’s for years now as they suit whatever we do.  It’s happy going to Cornwall loaded with bikes, children and dogs and towing a caravan and also ideal on  shooting / keeping duties. Economy wise the current one is averaging 32mpg since new which includes quite a bit of towing.  We also have an outlander and that’s fine as a car but not a shooting vehicle.

Parking wise with the cameras and sensors on the new ones it’s surprising how easy they are to park

Edited by al4x