Motorised 4-in-1 tools

Gentlemen,

Just recently was looking for a cordless strimmer.  Wanted the Makita version as already have batteries, charger, etc. However, for the same money, I can source a basic, 4-in-1 petrol grass trimmer, brush cutter, hedge cutter and 10" 'chainsaw' (tree pruner really).

Anyone had any experience of these?  Ok it won't be a contractor-grade tool, but it will be useful at the rental property, on our DIY syndicate etc.

31406.jpg

I've had one for about 4 years. I've only ever used the strimmer/brush cutter and the hedge trimming accessories, and they do what they're supposed to do. I got mine from Aldi.

I change the plug every year, or whenever the old one packs in, and I've bought a couple of replacement carburettors - around £10 - £20 each.

It's not Stihl quality, but it's not Stihl price either.  :)

Yes, I have the Titan and it is very good as are most of the Titan tools I have purchased. The long 10 inch chain saw is brilliant for pruning around high seats. I had one small problem and didn't know what was wrong until my service man came to do all my Kubotas and chain saws and I asked could he sort this one out. A quick look and he found the small section of petrol pipe to the carb., had gone hard and brocken . He replaced it with better quality and all working again.  The hedge cutter is also excellent for trimming back brambles, again around high seats and such.  I have a blackthorn hedge alongside the orchard which needs taming every year and this hedge cutter solves all the problems.

Had the titan before i bought all stihl now. I got it from screwfix, i believe it was £150. Straight away the extension pole cracked. They swapped that in store, not a problem. Then it cracked on the coupling where you slot the tools in. Screw fix wouldnt accept it for a exchange, as it was the unit and not the attachment. They wanted me to phone titan to arrange a engineer to come collect it or fix it. I fixed it myself and sold it. Had it 4 months, and only done 4 jobs with it. Also the clutch came loose, the hedge cutter jammed all the time (until i modified it by grinding the blunt sides into blades then it flew through pretty much anything. IT IS a small cut tho, think its 12inch, takes forever to do a hedge.)

One positive thing i will say is the pole pruner is excellent. The fact you can angle it is superb and a feature i wish my stihl has. 

I would be careful using it for anything other than light gardening. I had a qualcast strimmer years ago that had the same system for slotting in the attachments. Once it had been smashed into brambles etc for a while the collar got bent out of shape and wouldn't bite properly onto the shaft.

I have one from Lidl, it does everything it should and is very reliable. The chainsaw attachment is probably the best attachment and gets a lot of use. the only downside is that it is so heavy, which makes the hedge trimmer almost useless as you have to hold the entire weight of it upwards. I need to take a breather every two minutes before starting again.

1 minute ago, markyboy07 said:

I have one from Lidl, it does everything it should and is very reliable. The chainsaw attachment is probably the best attachment and gets a lot of use. the only downside is that it is so heavy, which makes the hedge trimmer almost useless as you have to hold the entire weight of it upwards. I need to take a breather every two minutes before starting again.

I have the same as MB07, it hasn’t missed a beat with all the attachments, the hedge trimmer gets the most use from me and agree with Mark regarding the weight but it does come with a body harness to help spread the load, good for the muscles....

On 21/05/2020 at 21:06, John_R said:

Are any of the battery powered versions any good?

We use a separate battery powered strimmer and pole saw at work and they are amazingly good. Strimmer life depends on what you size greenery you are attacking but its decent.

57 minutes ago, kennett said:

We use a separate battery powered strimmer and pole saw at work and they are amazingly good. Strimmer life depends on what you size greenery you are attacking but its decent.

What make? I use the husky strimmers and they are junk. Hedge trimmers are great tho

We use Stihl, handy to throw in the back of the truck to jump out and strim the odd post or sign. Get an afternoon of tidying up bits and bobs. 

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

What make? I use the husky strimmers and they are junk. Hedge trimmers are great tho

23 hours ago, kennett said:

Thanks for the info.  I am tempted to get something to help tackle tall laurels.  I can stand on a flat roof next to them but without a pole I would not reach far enough.  There are other shrubs and bushes at lower level which would also benefit from something like that. 

What brand do you use?

Edited by John_R