Red footed falcon.

JDog

Twenty may tell you that he has Cranes doing the mating dance on his roof. This may just about beat that.

Today I went to Crowle Moors primarily to see Adders (none) and Cuckoos (lots). I came across a gentleman who had a camera lens longer than he was. 'Have you seen it?' he asked. 'Seen what?' was my reply. 'Look there it is'. Sure enough a falcon which I could not recognize flashed overhead. Apparently it was a Red Footed Falcon. Something of a rarity I gather.

1 hour ago, hawkfanz said:

will av to google that one jd

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-footed_falcon

And me, not one I'd heard of.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Sure enough a falcon which I could not recognize flashed overhead. Apparently it was a Red Footed Falcon. Something of a rarity I gather

What's the chances you go every day for a week and don't see it again?

Any idea why it would be here?

2 hours ago, JDog said:

Twenty may tell you that he has Cranes doing the mating dance on his roof. This may just about beat that.

Today I went to Crowle Moors primarily to see Adders (none) and Cuckoos (lots). I came across a gentleman who had a camera lens longer than he was. 'Have you seen it?' he asked. 'Seen what?' was my reply. 'Look there it is'. Sure enough a falcon which I could not recognize flashed overhead. Apparently it was a Red Footed Falcon. Something of a rarity I gather.

Where the moors on fire? 

Loads of smoke this morning drifting across the A180? 

6 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Where the moors on fire? 

Loads of smoke this morning drifting across the A180? 

I'm afraid that Hatfield moor has been burning for a few days. Such precious habitat will be lost.

43 minutes ago, Mice! said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-footed_falcon

And me, not one I'd heard of.

What's the chances you go every day for a week and don't see it again?

Any idea why it would be here?

I have read about them in the past but I never expected to see one. Sometimes vagrants just wander.

2 hours ago, JDog said:

That was slice  of luck seeing the Red Footed Falcon wasn't it, made up for the Bee eater miss............I've not seen one in the UK........maybe too far west, although sightings in Eire have occurred. I've seen the falcon in foreign climes.

Red footed falcons visit the UK, mid May -mid June, more towards the Eastern side of the country, (Norfolk is visited regularly)

In 2015 a red footed falcon was shot dead in Cambridgeshire...........unbelievable.

Thorne/ Crowle moors have a good track record for attracting red footed falcons, and are hotspot for hobbies. It’s claim to fame is that it did for a year at least have bluethroats successfully nesting, but that was many years ago.  A really strange piece of ground, an island of lowland bog in a big sea of dry arable