Latest clear guidance on shooting under lock-down

National police chief gives clear guidance on shooting under lock-down

Deputy Chief Constable Dave Orford, the national lead on firearms licensing, has provided clarity on shooting under the current Covid-19 guidance following concerns raised by BASC, other shooting organisations and police forces.

DCC Orford says he has clarified the position with government and he will give clear instructions to individual constabularies that shooting can take place under the current regulations as long as social distancing guidelines are adhered to.

He said: “When considering outdoor shooting, police should view it in the same way they would for golf and fishing.”

My guidance to forces is clear; any facilities associated with outdoor sports and physical activities, including shooting ranges, can now reopen, if those responsible for them feel ready to do so and if they can do so safely, and in line with related public health guidance. My advice extends to outdoor pest control and deer management, on the proviso that they are doing so in line with guidance and within the law.

“I’m really grateful to the shooting community for their support and forbearance through these times. I would ask that do their utmost to follow the coronavirus guidelines on activities and the management of locations.”

Dr Conor O’Gorman, head of campaigns and policy at BASC, said: “This advice sets out a clear marker for police forces to follow and it should clarify some of the confusion that has been evident in the last week or so. Shooting is back open for business as long as people follow the sensible social distancing guidelines laid down by government.”

6 minutes ago, David BASC said:

National police chief gives clear guidance on shooting under lock-down

Deputy Chief Constable Dave Orford, the national lead on firearms licensing, has provided clarity on shooting under the current Covid-19 guidance following concerns raised by BASC, other shooting organisations and police forces.

DCC Orford says he has clarified the position with government and he will give clear instructions to individual constabularies that shooting can take place under the current regulations as long as social distancing guidelines are adhered to.

He said: “When considering outdoor shooting, police should view it in the same way they would for golf and fishing.”

My guidance to forces is clear; any facilities associated with outdoor sports and physical activities, including shooting ranges, can now reopen, if those responsible for them feel ready to do so and if they can do so safely, and in line with related public health guidance. My advice extends to outdoor pest control and deer management, on the proviso that they are doing so in line with guidance and within the law.

“I’m really grateful to the shooting community for their support and forbearance through these times. I would ask that do their utmost to follow the coronavirus guidelines on activities and the management of locations.”

Dr Conor O’Gorman, head of campaigns and policy at BASC, said: “This advice sets out a clear marker for police forces to follow and it should clarify some of the confusion that has been evident in the last week or so. Shooting is back open for business as long as people follow the sensible social distancing guidelines laid down by government.”

About bloomin time someone made it clear😁

As my friend said about a comment from a Judge...Common sense, not very common is it?  Relates to a lot of decisions coming out of the upper echelons of the constabulary these days apart from Dave Orford who is a good old time copper inhis approach.   I rank the rest of them along with the over educated bunch of scientists advising the government at the moment.

3 hours ago, David BASC said:

Like I said in a previous post, any copper would be hard pushed to claim we weren’t allowed to shoot, considering fishing and golf was allowed.

It’s just a shame some felt we needed police confirmation of what should have been regarded as a matter of common sense. 

I'm not sure the police will be happy to work with common sense to be honest - why would they when they can elect to support their own ideas of peoples liberty to go about their own lawful activity.

Years ago I was instructed to leave a site with written permission to be shooting a small site overrun with rabbits because the HMR noise had concerned a holiday camp visitor who called it in. I went back the next night with FAC air so as not to attract attention. I agree common sense won and I ought to have used it first time - but I was shooting legitimately.