.22 semi auto ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

After shooting my CZ452 for 15 years i am thinking of getting a semi auto.  It's only for rabbits but it must have a good trigger.

My mate had a 1022 Ruger but the trigger was rubbish. Dont know whether all Rugers are all the same.

So any recommendations  chaps. Must hasten to ad my CZ has been perfect. Especially when i put a new lighter trigger spring on it.

Thanks all.

My first ever .22 rf was a Remington 552 ‘Speedmaster’. Fabulous little rifle with a tubular mag’ which held I can’t remember how many rounds now, but lots! I put a basic scope on it and off I went. I used to love creeping about the hedgerows and fields with it. Accounted for 100’s of rabbits. 

I was once asked to check and give an opinion on a CZ511 s/a that had been bought for an acquaintance as a gift. He was fairly happy with it but thought it was his shooting that was making it difficult to zero the scope he had fitted. Once we had fitted the sight properly neither myself or my friend ( a professional rifleman) was able to get groups much under 1 1/2 to 2 inches at sixty yards. The owner (a beginner) was happy with that but much less happy after I let him put a couple of clips through my bolt action BRNO. He traded the semi ASAP.

Thanks for all replies, looks like i will be sticking with my CZ. As mentioned i've had it 15 yrs and never cleaned the barrel or moderator. 

I had to give the breech a scrubbing with a 410 brush as the spent cases were not ejecting. Parker Hale mod has been spot on too.

Simmons Aetec scope on it and for me it has been a perfect combination. + Win subs.

1 hour ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

After shooting my CZ452 for 15 years i am thinking of getting a semi auto.  It's only for rabbits but it must have a good trigger.

My mate had a 1022 Ruger but the trigger was rubbish. Dont know whether all Rugers are all the same.

So any recommendations  chaps. Must hasten to ad my CZ has been perfect. Especially when i put a new lighter trigger spring on it.

Thanks all.

CZ 511 semi auto has an equally rubbish trigger and not adjustable for a lighter pull due to the nature of the action i'm told.

i have one an have to say its not the best.

however the cz455 hmr thumbhole with trigger set at 2lb is a joy to shoot.

tend not to use the 22rimfire at the moment ground hard as nails and rounds going boing everwhere.:)

5 minutes ago, samboy said:

Thanks for all replies, looks like i will be sticking with my CZ. As mentioned i've had it 15 yrs and never cleaned the barrel or moderator. 

I had to give the breech a scrubbing with a 410 brush as the spent cases were not ejecting. Parker Hale mod has been spot on too.

Simmons Aetec scope on it and for me it has been a perfect combination. + Win subs.

I bought my old BRNO secondhand in 1992. Never been a minutes anxiety. 
And my BRNO .22Hornet is a 1958 and will shoot under a half inch at 100 yards.

Edited by London Best

Ive had my brno mod 2 now for ages. So i applied for a second 22 as a dedicated nv set up. I bought a ruger 10/22. Its was junk out the box, the trigger is awful and was in a hogue stock ment for (i think) varmint barrel so had about 1/4'' gap around the barrel. Long story short i couldnt group better than 3'' at 40 yards. So i sold it to my mate, who has watched a few vids and fettled the trigger and has it at about 2- 3lb. No need for a drop in. He also put it into a standard ruger stock and its transformed it, it will now group a inch at 50 yards 😂. Hes loves it, i do in a way, it was ultra fun getting a load of bx25 mags and letting rip at targets but thats it. Ill stick to my brno thanks but wish i bought a 452 as its screwcut 

Rugers are rubbish out of the box hence why there’s a multi million dollar industry around replacement parts starting with the trigger. Some of the nicest, most accurate semi automatics owe their inception (but nowt else) to the Ruger. 

You can’t really expect a semi to ever be as good as a really good bolt action.

I've a remington 597 and have to say out of the box accuracy is way better than any 10/22 I've come across. Not so happy with subsonic bullets, sometimes will fail to reset the trigger. Trigger on mine was quite heavy but a quick polish out with a needle file and fine wet and dry and I find it perfect. I think its a good choice for those that don't want a semi auto to modify the life out of. With a cheap eBay scope mine was grouping really well. Have to try it out again as I dropped at and stripped out the weaver mount threads so im having to set up and use the dovetails.

On 21/05/2020 at 16:21, Imperfection said:

Go for a CZ511 but make sure you get magazines with it. The rifles are no longer in production and same goes for the mags.

I cant fault mine and have always found it perfect for rabbits.

trigger is hard on 511 and you cant do anything about it but you can buy a trigger kit for a ruger 10.22