Can you shorten a shotgun yourself ?

BADGER.BRAD

Believe so yes, but youll **** your chokes up, probably the rib as well, resale value will be screwed, and depending how you do it you might stress the barrels. Not sure with shotguns if youd be allowed to sell after not having the barrels reproofed anyway. 

Edited by strimmer_13
Spelling

7 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Believe so yes, but youll **** your chokes up, probably the rib as well, resale value will be screwed, and depending how you do it you might stress the barrels. Not sure with shotguns if youd be allowed to sell after not having the barrels reproffed anyway. 

I don’t think that which remains after chopping, has been weakened, just made shorter, so I’m not sure what part you’d be reproofing.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything else you say. 

Edited by Scully

Yes within legal limits, reproof not required, dependant on how much you hack off the muzzles, dictates how much choke will be removed, resale value will be very severely affected, the muzzle void under the top rib will need attention, to keep moisture/water out! Maybe need a new bead sight fitted?..

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

I do not think it would need re proofing, as you would not alter the bores.

But nobody would buy it.

Except an armed robber! 😂 

I shortened a cheap little SBS 410 to 1/2 inch above the legal limit so that it was nice and easy to use when sorting things in traps. Easy to have broken in the Landie and get out drop a cartridge in despatch whatever and back in the motor.  I have no intention of selling it so no loss on value.    Not an expensive job to have done professionally i would think.

Certainly took the chokes out of mine but at a few yards not a problem and with some old 2 inch shells as wel.. Basically a tool for the job.

As long as the barrels do not go blow 24" , so leave at 24&1/4" anyone can cut them down . It does  NOT affect proof . If it's a double barrel then care must be taken not to loosen the ribs and would be best to plug the nose ends , you can uses cold casting epoxy repair  2 pack if you dont want to cut fillers and solder them in which can be a bit of a pain and have its own problems .

54 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i was looking to do a 12 bore Baikal single barrel to take a hushpower mod, it is 28 inch and full choke, would cutting off 2 inches leave any choke?

2 inches off should just leave you with cylinder bore no choke.

Absolutely you can, I did just that to my Mossberg pump gun, as I wanted something a bit handier for the hide.  As long as it stays above the overall legal length your fine, but a word of caution my gunsmith reminded me that extended chokes cant be included in the measurement.

Thanks everyone, I was given an under over a few years back which I shortened the stock on to make it a better fit for the Mrs, the barrels are fairly long so making it just over the 24 would make it easier for her to handle , I just need to work out what fixed choke it has to work out how pattern would be affected.

Well presumably if its a 28" and you take it back to 24 1/2 it will go cylinder/cylinder. My sxs is cyl-1/4. Shoots fine. But if you going to go get it recut for chokes, its probably better to go buy either another gun with shorter barrels or maybe put a wanted add out for a second set of barrels thats already been done and possibly save a few quid and hassel. 

Generally British guns and most side by sides have a parallel length at the end choke for choke regulating ie reaming.

Most over and under guns do not they only have the cone.  The cone of a full choke can be as long as 100mm and in this case half choke would then be 50mm etc. There is usually a plain section on a ventilated top rib at the of the barrel that should be a little longer than the choke length. It allows easy choke adjustment by the eclipse method; ie hacksaw. ( if the gun has over 100mm plain section you can bet the top barrel is full choke).

The gaps between the barrels and ribs are easily filled with plastic metal if you don't want to chance soldering.

Clearly before you start cutting check where the choke begins you could ruin a good gun.

Dave