stic drums.

One of my farms has about twenty plastic drums which he was about to burn.  I intervened and reserved a few for myself as we needed at least three soft water butts to supply rain water for the larger numbers of Rhodys, camelias etc., which we could not water from the tap as our water is quite limey.

I got some of these back home but of course they are closed top, so I had to cut the tops off to get in and fit a tap.  I eyed the barrels up and it appeared to me that the broad part from about 9 inch from the top down was just slightly bigger than that diameter just under the rim of the top.  I cut a top off just under the rim and then took another barrel and cut a section from the top about 8 1/2 inch down and found that this section slid over the top of the other drum forming a lid and the down pipe can be located in one of the filling holes. 

004.jpg

14 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I use these. Cut half the top across and then just under the rim and you have a cover you can hinge by drilling and attaching the top with three cable ties.

Another neat idea. In fact if you cut around just under the rim the resulting'lid' will fit back on top of the open drum.  I am going to put a 3 inch strip of plastic from and IBC container around that 'lid' and it will fit over the remaining drum from the loss of the original lid.   Photos to follow.

All you have to do is keep killing the squirels.

All now set up apart from the low walled base which will go in this summer. The concrete blocks will have to do for the moment.  I have set four on down pipes where we never collected the rainwater before.  Going to be great for the garden.   Can y'allll just stop what your doing and do a rain dance please as that is all we need at the moment with non forecast around here for another three weeks just when crops and orchards need some.

005.jpg

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Waste not want not Walker, pity you couldn't find a old wheelie bin , you could then walk it when full to where you need the watering done instead of carrying pails , your gotta take in account we aint getting any younger :lol: . 

If you do get a wheelie bin and fill it please video your attempts at trying to move it!

It might become a YouTube classic!:w00t:

I have a handy little Kubota 7001 tractor with front loader, forks, box and bucket, 3 point hitch on rear will carry anything I need in another larger carry box. I believe in doing things the easy way. The Kubota is probably my closest friend.  I have another drum and believe it or not was already planning to put it on a frame which would go on the rear hitch for just that job if require.

We have a fair few plants in the garden now e.g camelias, which do not like our very limey water and my wife has a collection of orchids which require clean fresh water. This is the main reason for putting in these drums.  We have run out of rainwater today and it looks like ten days before we any likely fall.