3 1/2” Browning 525 Over and Under

Alfieri

Hi all,

Ive just purchased a new 3 1/2” Browning  525 Game 30” .

because of social distancing I brought the gun via RFD to my local RFD so didn’t look at it first but first impressions are good.

Although RH And almost straight stocked my intention was to swap the stock and fore end wood from my LH 2017 sporter,  use the one gun for everything.

Both guns are 30”, but too my surprise the Game felt heavier which I put down to balance and maybe the density of the wood. 
The barrels definitely seem heavier on the game (not confirmed but will get weighed).

Also the wood on the fore end from my sporter will not fit over the new barrels of the 3 1/2” which seems as if the barrels could be slightly beefed up. I was under the impression these were altered Original 3” game guns which were Bored for 31/2” cartridges re proofed and engraving changed. The barrels are stamped: 2/3/4”, 3” and 31/2”  and 23/4 and 3” on the sporter so does look like like they have had addition stamp of 31/2” on them.

My RFD contacted Browning who said they were not making a 31/2” but I registered my warranty on line and was accepted so not sure what’s going on.

so if anyone has any info it would be fearfully received as I’m very curious.

Many thanks

I'm not sure what you're looking for?

I wouldn't expect the barrels on a std. to be the same as on the new 3.5" model … they would be more 'beefed up' as you say.

Expecting the woodwork to be interchangeable was a big assumption on your part.

The new 3.5" model is a real thing .. and you have one by the sounds of it.

28 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I'm not sure what you're looking for?

I wouldn't expect the barrels on a std. to be the same as on the new 3.5" model … they would be more 'beefed up' as you say.

Expecting the woodwork to be interchangeable was a big assumption on your part.

The new 3.5" model is a real thing .. and you have one by the sounds of it.

Thanks for the reply.

The gun is fine but surprised that I couldn’t swap the wood over (not the action and fore end) which are identical and the only thing stopping it seem to be the thickness of the barrels.

Also surprised that when Browning we’re contacted by 2 local RFds they said they were not aware of them as was trying to order locally.

9 minutes ago, grahamch said:

From what I was told at the NEC  on the John Forsey stand a limited run of these guns was made for Malmo guns and a couple of other dealers. Would have had one but they only did 30 inch barrels which are too long for me.

Thanks makes sense.

When you say “action” do you mean the whole action? Have you unbolted the stock (just the wood bit?) and tried that? I don’t expect the barres to swap but the stock yes with a minor fettel by a stocker, why swap the forend, they are not handed 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, HDAV said:

When you say “action” do you mean the whole action? Have you unbolted the stock (just the wood bit?) and tried that? I don’t expect the barres to swap but the stock yes with a minor fettel by a stocker, why swap the forend, they are not handed 🤷‍♂️

Thanks , the stock fits fine it’s only the fore end wood which won’t fit over the barrels, so it will need altering to fit and Is totally different colour and grain.