NEVER EVER EVER CAUGHT ONE OF THESE

7daysinaweek

Well I was out in the garden this afternoon attempting to dig out the Triffid and heard a mighty shriek come from next door, mrs 7days came through and said that the next door neighbors wanted me. I trudge through the house to find a very flustered neighbor. She had gone to put some garden waste in the green bin out front and whilst putting the greenery into the bin suddenly became alarmingly aware of a bloody big snake looming above her head resulting in her running for her life.

Several neighbors had already gathered gathered and I was sent for to tackle the said beast. Now I have no experience with snakes at all, I sized up my opponent who was clearly enjoying the bask in the sun and the heat from the wall and was not moving anywhere and was curled around a dividing garage wall trellis. I had no idea what type of snake it was and a quick google revealed that it was "A SNAKE". One of the neighbors said it was a slow worm, another thought it might be an adder to which I said "Nooo". I donned a pair of thick garden gloves and got a long pole/rod type thing of one of the neighbors, I was trying to judge the size and thought it to be around 3-4 feet.

I made my plan and got an empty green wheelie bin opened it up and at arms length with it above me I gently picked it up onto the thin rod, "Monty" then obligingly curled round the rod and started to make the way down towards my hand, as it uncurled itself from the trellis work I though bloomin heck this thing is bigger than I thought. So at approx 6 foot long I quickly moved it towards the bin when it had let go and in headfirst and and flicked its tail in with me gloved hand. A round of applause from the neighbors and it was in the bag, or the bin I should say.

The neighbors husband who had made himself immediately scarce from the first sighting had took a picture and put it up on the local community page. Within half an hour we had a reply from a young gentleman who lives in the next road that back on to our gardens. He was round within half an hour with a collection box and the proper snake handling crook. The poor lad was nearly in tears, he told us that he has 16 different snakes and 2 weeks ago the snake (she) had the lid knocked off her Vivarium by the cat and she had got out of a open bedroom window, he said had had her 12 years and had never lost a snake in that time. He he was overjoyed and had entirely expected to see a picture of her dead on the local community page. I asked what would she have been living on and he said frogs, small birds and that had we not had the hot weather of recent she would have perished. He said she would be just shy of 6 foot , what a fascinating animal, he checked her over and said she was a little thin but overall in good health, a little cool but she would soon warm up in the Vivarium.

All in all an exciting day with a happy ending.

Can anyone tell what type of snake it is?, he told me the type and where they come from. So what type of snake is it?

I tried to upload a video of me catching Monty but says it too big, pity as you could have witnessed my snake charming skills.

IMG-20200522-WA0001_opt.jpg

20200522_142728_opt.jpg

42 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Looks like a pale Rosy Boa? 

Nope, keep going

Just now, JDog said:

Give up your day job.

The most interesting post of the day.

:lol:

Believe me JD, I have experienced some things in my job. Wonder if snake charming would pay the bills as well.

31 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

How many feet taller are you walking round the village, now you're the local hero?

That's a very cool story. I've always wanted a snake, but it's a costly business. plus retrieve drills would be tricky.

From reading the local community page I am now the Crocodile Dundee of the village.

30 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I bet the other chap who ran away feels a bit of a pillock now!

He told me "I don't do snakes"

26 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Black headed python?

Nope

25 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

My son said, who keeps snakes said that it maybe a Royal Python, but a very emaciated specimen and they don't often climb. There's so many diiferent colour morphs available too. Type in google images 'Genetic Stripe Royal Python' to see if its similar.

Nope, not a Royal python. As in the post the owner said she was thin as she has been out for just over two weeks. Now home to snaffle a mouse or two.

I will shout up what she is after a couple of more posts, keep guessing

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

Three words that very rarely sit together!

Very true! 

Just now, Retsdon said:

Ha! Well....a wild shot in the end. We get rat snakes in the garden in Thailand from time to time and your snake has the same kind of profile. But the black head was a foxer...Never ever heard of a Ridley's cave racer....

The lad said they get to a large size for rat snakes over the years. Lovely looking beast.