Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AVB

Defender welding cost

Recommended Posts

The bottom part of the c post has rotted. The garage I use has quoted £180 to cut it out and weld in a new section. That doesn’t include removing or replacing the panel covering it as I will do that. It seems expensive to me but would appreciate others thoughts. 
 

thanks

A2450387-4D78-46A6-B731-CCE9E5F7F18E.jpeg

070188E5-3C2C-4939-A149-0B2A9468A587.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t sound to bad to me but then I have a 2 door Range Rover that’s needed work on it that I can not do, the Labour is eye watering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does that includes them making a repair piece ,cutting/grinding discs,gas, wire and lecci.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Remimax said:

does that includes them making a repair piece ,cutting/grinding discs,gas, wire and lecci.

Yes it does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a bad price if a normal VAT'd price. Is it VAT on top of that?  Couple of hours work at averge £40 an hour plus material plus overheads and not forgetting  A PROFIT.  No not  a bad deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AVB said:

Yes it does. 

in that case its not excessive for the job in hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Remimax said:

in that case its not excessive for the job in hand.

  Cheers. I don’t mind paying it if it is a reasonable cost but not knowing the work involved thought I would check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cawdor118 said:

Audi garages up here are £100 a hour labour... £180 seems reasonable to me. 

They know how to charge up here for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally use independents, racked up £700 with no fix. Went to Audi, they fixed it for £140. They have lots of overheads as they have all the correct diagnostic equipment and tools. The Audi prices are justified, but don’t use them for simple things!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the problem with pricing welding jobs is that until you start cutting out, you never know how bad its going to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bornfree said:

the problem with pricing welding jobs is that until you start cutting out, you never know how bad its going to be. 

aint that the truth.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yeah! Can you just weld me this little hole? 
How many times have you heard that?

That’s when you get the big screwdriver out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2020 at 19:37, bornfree said:

the problem with pricing welding jobs is that until you start cutting out, you never know how bad its going to be. 

Yes absolutely correct £180 sounds OK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2020 at 19:37, bornfree said:

the problem with pricing welding jobs is that until you start cutting out, you never know how bad its going to be. 

When you start to cut out that 4 inch piece of tin worm and it goes on and on:lol:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, la bala said:

When you start to cut out that 4 inch piece of tin worm and it goes on and on:lol:.

hows the old pipe layer going boy..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ditchman said:

hows the old pipe layer going boy..?

Cant get the tube rolled til wednesday Simon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tin worm That's when you start spot welding tacks with the mig, fill all the holes and weld new piece in. Can't beat a bit of lace welding 😤

 

AVB not a bad price for a commercial garage, if you knew a fella who fixes cars and does a bit of body repair welding, could be much less.

Why not buy a mug welder and get some metal sheet and have a go yourself. Not very hard to do and you can then weld all-sorts of stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, figgy said:

Tin worm That's when you start spot welding tacks with the mig, fill all the holes and weld new piece in. Can't beat a bit of lace welding 😤

 

AVB not a bad price for a commercial garage, if you knew a fella who fixes cars and does a bit of body repair welding, could be much less.

Why not buy a mug welder and get some metal sheet and have a go yourself. Not very hard to do and you can then weld all-sorts of stuff.

It’s definitely on the list to learn to weld. I am gaining in confidence the more I tinker with the Defender. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AVB said:

It’s definitely on the list to learn to weld. I am gaining in confidence the more I tinker with the Defender. 

Respectfully, don't start on the C-pillar!  Fiddly, and they command a price premium, as a lot of people have taken to converting 110 vans to station wagons (myself included).  even the repair sections are big bucks.

There's actually very little steel 'bodywork' on the Defender you can repair with a MIG - the bulkhead springs immediately to mind.  Obviously there's the chassis, and repair sections for these can be let in, but none of this is exactly fodder for a beginner, as the access is with the body on is so damn awkward. 

But I'm the last one to discourage people from getting a welder and learning to weld, keep us posted.

Oh and avoid gasless, it's Satan's own welding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Respectfully, don't start on the C-pillar!  Fiddly, and they command a price premium, as a lot of people have taken to converting 110 vans to station wagons (myself included).  even the repair sections are big bucks.

There's actually very little steel 'bodywork' on the Defender you can repair with a MIG - the bulkhead springs immediately to mind.  Obviously there's the chassis, and repair sections for these can be let in, but none of this is exactly fodder for a beginner, as the access is with the body on is so damn awkward. 

But I'm the last one to discourage people from getting a welder and learning to weld, keep us posted.

Oh and avoid gasless, it's Satan's own welding.

Don’t worry I am not going to practise on the C pillar. Just something that I want to learn. Local agricultural college does a welding for beginners course but not sure when it is restarting.  
 

Another question. What the estimated cost to replace the rear crossmember?  I have been stripping mine down to pint and install a NAS step but noticed the near side bottom corner is quite rusty. It is probably salvageable but if it ain’t too pricy I will replace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Learn to weld and replace the cross member yourself.  You can buy the cross member sections. Buy a mig welder and watch some videos online. It's very easy to mig weld a monkey could do it. R-Tech do some decent machines for home hobby use with steel roller mechanism as some cheap ones are plastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...