Defender welding cost

AVB

The bottom part of the c post has rotted. The garage I use has quoted £180 to cut it out and weld in a new section. That doesn’t include removing or replacing the panel covering it as I will do that. It seems expensive to me but would appreciate others thoughts. 

thanks

A2450387-4D78-46A6-B731-CCE9E5F7F18E.jpeg

070188E5-3C2C-4939-A149-0B2A9468A587.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Remimax said:

in that case its not excessive for the job in hand.

Cheers. I don’t mind paying it if it is a reasonable cost but not knowing the work involved thought I would check. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tin worm That's when you start spot welding tacks with the mig, fill all the holes and weld new piece in. Can't beat a bit of lace welding 😤

AVB not a bad price for a commercial garage, if you knew a fella who fixes cars and does a bit of body repair welding, could be much less.

Why not buy a mug welder and get some metal sheet and have a go yourself. Not very hard to do and you can then weld all-sorts of stuff.

14 hours ago, figgy said:

Tin worm That's when you start spot welding tacks with the mig, fill all the holes and weld new piece in. Can't beat a bit of lace welding 😤

AVB not a bad price for a commercial garage, if you knew a fella who fixes cars and does a bit of body repair welding, could be much less.

Why not buy a mug welder and get some metal sheet and have a go yourself. Not very hard to do and you can then weld all-sorts of stuff.

It’s definitely on the list to learn to weld. I am gaining in confidence the more I tinker with the Defender. 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

It’s definitely on the list to learn to weld. I am gaining in confidence the more I tinker with the Defender. 

Respectfully, don't start on the C-pillar!  Fiddly, and they command a price premium, as a lot of people have taken to converting 110 vans to station wagons (myself included).  even the repair sections are big bucks.

There's actually very little steel 'bodywork' on the Defender you can repair with a MIG - the bulkhead springs immediately to mind.  Obviously there's the chassis, and repair sections for these can be let in, but none of this is exactly fodder for a beginner, as the access is with the body on is so damn awkward. 

But I'm the last one to discourage people from getting a welder and learning to weld, keep us posted.

Oh and avoid gasless, it's Satan's own welding.

29 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Respectfully, don't start on the C-pillar!  Fiddly, and they command a price premium, as a lot of people have taken to converting 110 vans to station wagons (myself included).  even the repair sections are big bucks.

There's actually very little steel 'bodywork' on the Defender you can repair with a MIG - the bulkhead springs immediately to mind.  Obviously there's the chassis, and repair sections for these can be let in, but none of this is exactly fodder for a beginner, as the access is with the body on is so damn awkward. 

But I'm the last one to discourage people from getting a welder and learning to weld, keep us posted.

Oh and avoid gasless, it's Satan's own welding.

Don’t worry I am not going to practise on the C pillar. Just something that I want to learn. Local agricultural college does a welding for beginners course but not sure when it is restarting.  

Another question. What the estimated cost to replace the rear crossmember?  I have been stripping mine down to pint and install a NAS step but noticed the near side bottom corner is quite rusty. It is probably salvageable but if it ain’t too pricy I will replace. 

Learn to weld and replace the cross member yourself.  You can buy the cross member sections. Buy a mig welder and watch some videos online. It's very easy to mig weld a monkey could do it. R-Tech do some decent machines for home hobby use with steel roller mechanism as some cheap ones are plastic.