Expensive Baikals

Stimo22

Just been looking at a Shooting Times from 1975 and their is an advert for some Baikals - model G620 at £600, model G621 at £1200 and model 624 at £680. This was when a new Webley 700 was £398 and AYA no4 was£147.5. 

So has anyone ever seen one of these guns and what are they like

image.jpeg

Yes, I saw and handled them at a Game Fair in the 1970's and thought they were lovely guns. I have mentioned them on here, when people have been decrying Baikal. I was shooting an AyA No. 2 at that time,  which cost me under £200 secondhand.  I have seen one of their best sidelocks in one of the Royal collections, just can not remember which one.

The problem with the sidelock is that it isn't stocked "up to the fences" in what is now the de rigeur best English style. The same reason German sidelocks don't look as good to the eye. To me the nicest Baikal was the the one that was proofed as a 2 3/4" Magnum and had the green action and cocking indicators.

Very nice shotguns, Some models were Vostocks MU109 etc. Baikal is a marketing name, Guns from Tula / Toz or IZH etc are all labelled baikals. The higher grade Toz 34s though agricultural looking are still very nice and well finished for a budget gun.

Full view of TOZ-34 from Joh Springer auction

https://sportingbookworm.wordpress.com/page/1/.

Edited by lancer425

The eastern bloc made some high grade guns on a copy of the Beesley/Purdey self opening action.  Tula made such as gun that was given by Nikita Krushchev to Harold MacMillan.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/significant-and-rare-russian-purdey-sells-at-sothebys-21454

The positioning of the pins in tje lock in the photo above looks the same implying a Beesley Purdey action (but I can't be sure).  I am pretty sure Baikal did sell some guns on the Beesley/Purdey action.