Strangford lough n.i

billy86

I’ve shot the lough a couple seasons then decided not to bother it’s a big lough if the winds aren’t right your wasting your time Couple clubs on it the one I was in Which I won’t name We’re not very friendly if your not from there neck of the woods 

Billy don’t want to put you off mate by all means if you fancy a season on Strangford you can buy a ticket without joining any club you get map access points etc we’re you can shoot The club I was in just didn’t like outsiders At the minute here in NI I haven’t been doing much shooting but hopefully start of September get out onto lough neagh for ducks fingers crossed 🤞 

16 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

I know you can get visitors tickets for strangford through basc but didn’t realise it was split into multiple clubs. Might be worth a go. Fancy it myself at some point but no idea if it’s mud/sand flighting or more decoying like lough neagh? Got a few friends in N.I so maybe some day!

As far as I know there 4or5 clubs on it could be wrong you can get your own ticket for a season they released so many every year Its a big lough with big tides when I shot it I didn’t bother with decoys As I said all do with the winds also some parts are treacherous with soft sands 

• 1 month later...

I shot Strangford for 10 or 12 years. It can be really good, but like all good things, you get out what you put in. Scouting with binos is invaluable and a knowledge of favoured fresh water streams running onto the marsh is also desirable. You start with a map and then investigate during the summer before the season but things get lively once the migrants turn up.

I found a quieter stretch of shore ( 8 or 9 mile stretch) and concentrated on it. It would take a lifetime to know the whole Lough so focus on one area and learn it well. If you can get to the islands - now that's good shooting !