Corvid predation

WalkedUp

My wife’s friends have a blue tit nest in the hedge next to their kitchen. They have watched the nest built, eggs laid and incubated and the brood being fed by the parents. This morning a jay got to the nest, it threw the chicks out onto the floor and then returned to carry them off one by one whilst the parents were going frantic. Yes it is nature but corvid numbers, and foxes are out of control in the UK. If the couple had video footage to put on Facebook I am sure that would educate a few people. I have witnessed magpie and carrion crow predation first hand. My wife bought me a video nest box for my birthday, I may set it up as a honey trap.

10 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

👍

21 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

We had Blue Tit's in our box that fledged yesterday - over the past week 3 Magpies have paid the ultimate price for getting too close to the box.

Good for you Bruno, make ‘em have it!

Thats the answer bruno, same with fluffy tailed grey squirrels.  I do not tolerate any such on my property and it is abuzz with small birds. I went to get some whole maize  yesterday and the lady running it said she had a blackbirds nest which had been laid and incubated . The magpies literally waited until the hatch then went in and took the lot.

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Thats the answer bruno, same with fluffy tailed grey squirrels.  I do not tolerate any such on my property and it is abuzz with small birds. I went to get some whole maize  yesterday and the lady running it said she had a blackbirds nest which had been laid and incubated . The magpies literally waited until the hatch then went in and took the lot.

Magpies will often scout areas out, they will identify nests under construction, and nests being incubated...............then they come back round 3-4 weeks later for take aways. 

I have just visited a garden centre to buy some plants. I noticed a gorgeous blonde messing about with something in the car. She had 5 magpie chicks she is hand rearing for release into the wild!!!! Will upload the picture. If she hadn’t of been a 10/10 then I would have mentioned knocking them on the head, instead I just made polite conversation and asked to take a picture of them. 

C1C4D4B8-6125-4551-867F-FBD530EC012A.jpeg

On 23/05/2020 at 10:47, bruno22rf said:

We had Blue Tit's in our box that fledged yesterday - over the past week 3 Magpies have paid the ultimate price for getting too close to the box.

Good man! I've had Jay's and Magpies working the borders in my garden all I can do is go out and spook them.

I read a great tip this week for decoying magpies, lads saying they put white takeaway bags with tubs inside so the magpies come looking for scraps, I've tried the rabbit or squirrel split open with no luck, and I had a magpie sit and watch me eat my dinner in the park today so I'll be trying this one.

20200529_004638.jpg.bf8340c1ce6bc20e525568ea7863c536.jpg20200529_004620.jpg.2f849256ee546c90d51c5729de1d1e4d.jpg

Young magpie in the park today from 2 different angles,  I've never seen one just sitting in the sun before, and they never hang around like this when I've got a rifle.