Got to love old time farmers.

muncher

I have been watching a drilled field of barley for a couple of weeks and after a minor success the previous Saturday, my brother and I managed 39. I felt it got to worth another go with the amount of birds in the area. So after  helping the wife groom a grumpy larso , I left the house at 11 o'clock. I arrived about 15 minutes later and all I could see was loads of corvids. The wind was getting very strong so I set up with my back to a earth bank with the wind coming over my right shoulder. I had 4 dead birds with me and decided that I would put them on cradles, I broke the wings and set them up so the wind made their wings move about. I had a few customers and I added these in cradles with the wings broken. There was a lot of crows coming in and I shot a few but I was after pigeons not crows, so I decided to stop shooting them unless I thought it was a carrion crow. The birds were a bit slow  but what came decoyed well. About 1 o'clock Motty called me and asked if I was out, I replied that I was and he was welcome to join me but it wasn't very busy, he said he would probably pop over for a bit. Small bunches started to appear but were not decoying so I added the rotary, this did the trick and the number of customers increased. The birds were very challenging in the strong wind and several times I thought my rotary would break. Motty arrived about 2 o'clock and I told him that his best option was to go on the other field further down, as all the birds had moved down there. I gave him a couple of dead birds for the rotary and off he went. I had about 40 down as he left. I have to think that Motty pushed them to me all afternoon and the birds poured in and it was very hectic at times. I rang Motty and said you can come over if you wish, but he said he was happy on that field ,he shot 25. I shot until 5 and it went it bit quiet, I decided to pick up. Final score for myself was 162 pigeons and 14 crows, I also shot this one with light coloured wings.

IMG-20200523-171022087.jpg
IMG-20200523-165807445.jpg
IMG-20200523-174757017.jpg
IMG-20200523-172407031.jpg

Edited by muncher

Very good! The constant sound of shots coming downwind to my position was quite annoying! 😀

I hope I helped to keep the birds on the wing a little bit. Glad you got so many.

I shall be entertaining your brother tomorrow!

4 minutes ago, motty said:

Very good! The constant sound of shots coming downwind to my position was quite annoying! 😀

I hope I helped to keep the birds on the wing a little bit. Glad you got so many.

I shall be entertaining your brother tomorrow!

I'm sure you did keep them moving. Bet he is late!

5 minutes ago, snow white said:

Looks like a cracking day I bet your using a semi unless your throwing cartridges out the hide 

Yes I was using a semi auto, I nearly took my triple barrel , that would of saved me some time picking cases up.

6 minutes ago, kenholland said:

blimey, when I saw them photo's I thought somebody had been flytipping , them pigeon select seem to work for you o k well done.

Yes it looks a mess but I cleared it all up. First time I've used them and I was quite impressed.

1 hour ago, muncher said:

I have been watching a drilled field of barley for a couple of weeks and after a minor success the previous Saturday, my brother and I managed 39. I felt it got to worth another go with the amount of birds in the area. So after  helping the wife groom a grumpy larso , I left the house at 11 o'clock. I arrived about 15 minutes later and all I could see was loads of corvids. The wind was getting very strong so I set up with my back to a earth bank with the wind coming over my right shoulder. I had 4 dead birds with me and decided that I would put them on cradles, I broke the wings and set them up so the wind made their wings move about. I had a few customers and I added these in cradles with the wings broken. There was a lot of crows coming in and I shot a few but I was after pigeons not crows, so I decided to stop shooting them unless I thought it was a carrion crow. The birds were a bit slow  but what came decoyed well. About 1 o'clock Motty called me and asked if I was out, I replied that I was and he was welcome to join me but it wasn't very busy, he said he would probably pop over for a bit. Small bunches started to appear but were not decoying so I added the rotary, this did the trick and the number of customers increased. The birds were very challenging in the strong wind and several times I thought my rotary would break. Motty arrived about 2 o'clock and I told him that his best option was to go on the other field further down, as all the birds had moved down there. I gave him a couple of dead birds for the rotary and off he went. I had about 40 down as he left. I have to think that Motty pushed them to me all afternoon and the birds poured in and it was very hectic at times. I rang Motty and said you can come over if you wish, but he said he was happy on that field ,he shot 25. I shot until 5 and it went it bit quiet, I decided to pick up. Final score for myself was 162 pigeons and 14 crows, I also shot this one with light coloured wings.

IMG-20200523-171022087.jpg
IMG-20200523-165807445.jpg
IMG-20200523-174757017.jpg
IMG-20200523-172407031.jpg

Excellent bag and a write up to match , I very much doubt we have got that many Pigeons on the whole of the estate I go on which is getting on for 5000 acres, our Peas are now getting on for 8/9 inches and the numbers haven't increased above 20 or so from the day they were drilled with no need to put a gas gun on , thank god you and Motty are posting good bags as we would be wondering weather they are still in isolation and are following the guidelines instead of the tram lines . 

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Excellent bag and a write up to match , I very much doubt we have got that many Pigeons on the whole of the estate I go on which is getting on for 5000 acres, our Peas are now getting on for 8/9 inches and the numbers haven't increased above 20 or so from the day they were drilled with no need to put a gas gun on , thank god you and Motty are posting good bags as we would be wondering weather they are still in isolation and are following the guidelines instead of the tram lines .

To be honest MM there was a lot of birds there and at times I had 50 plus coming into the decoys. I thought the previous week that perhaps they had migrated in.

21 minutes ago, muncher said:

To be honest MM there was a lot of birds there and at times I had 50 plus coming into the decoys. I thought the previous week that perhaps they had migrated in.

How strange , if your neck of the woods ever got short of Pigeons , in other places they would nearly be extinct :lol: , like most large farms we grow mixed crops although this year it look as if they are growing more spuds than normal , we had good numbers on the Rape but since it went in flower they moved on , I was hopping by now they would give a few afternoons on the Peas but alas no , now we can exercise for as much as we want I spend a few hours every day walking around different parts of the estate and I have seen nothing getting out of the woods to get excited about , as you well know they can be here one day and gone the next but at the moment it look like we will have to wait until the Peas are in pod , still as they say , all good things are worth waiting for . STAY SAFE

Its the same here as it is for Marsh Man, we have around 10,000 acres but only around 600 in pea's this year, they are at different stages some just showing while others are well up, but the only place I am seeing a few dozen pigeons is on 3 large fields where they were drilled late and have only just come through, I never do that well on peas until they have been left to go brown for seed, as soon as the pods start splitting the birds appear from nowhere, last year I managed 4 good days before they put the combine over them, 74, 71, 58 and 53, which are very good numbers for East Norfolk. 

For some reason the numbers never really build here like they do in other parts of the country. I used to shoot around Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire and we would see clouds of them ,numbering into the thousands, I know the farmers don't want those numbers here but Marsh Man and I could certainly do with a few extra. Perhaps it will pick up after harvest, lets hope so. 😀👍