410 or 20 bore hushpower

If you reload, and can do it safely, then IMHO the 20 Bore is the best option as you can load as light as you light both in shot payload and shotsize. There's a place somewhere (close range bolted rabbits maybe) for a 20 Bore loaded with a subsonic payload of 5/8 ounce of English #5 that can't be filled from off the shelf.

Was an ok gun a fabarm based fully moderated beast, it handled well for what it was . I used reloads in it lead back then mostly but did use some steel. I think it was a good atempt at creating a quiet shotgun, but it was still not quiet. Quietest i have seen so far is the Metro guns. I Thought the la porte was ok but it had to go i had over £500 in something i did not see as a £500 gun i could have much use from at the time. I took a Nikko 5000 skeet in Px alowing £200 was close to mint  i had that thing 6 years or more as a knockabout. had way more fonder memories of the Nikko than the Laporte.

In the field it was was ok in use, i think it did help if birds were in the area but to me it was still Loud.  Not 100% convinced by The moderated shotguns, they work up to a point, but just not sure they are worth the trouble. Go metrogun.

http://www.metrogun.com/index.html

Edited by lancer425

5 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Was an ok gun a fabarm based fully moderated beast, it handled well for what it was . I used reloads in it lead back then mostly but did use some steel. I think it was a good atempt at creating a quiet shotgun, but it was still not quiet. Quietest i have seen so far is the Metro guns. I Thought the la porte was ok but it had to go i had over £500 in something i did not see as a £500 gun i could have much use from at the time. I took a Nikko 5000 skeet in Px alowing £200 was close to mint  i had that thing 6 years or more as a knockabout. had way more fonder memories of the Nikko than the Laporte.

In the field it was was ok in use, i think it did help if birds were in the area but to me it was still Loud.  Not 100% convinced by The moderated shotguns, they work up to a point, but just not sure they are worth the trouble. Go metrogun.

http://www.metrogun.com/index.html

Thanks for sharing that link, interesting website. Can you actually get the metrogun barrel this side of the pond? 

4 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Cheers, be interested to see or should I say hear one in person.

Think about getting the deed done inside the barrel. Fast powder light load burned inside a few inches no blast wad pellets are subsonic its all done by the length of barrel.  I know my 32 inch franchi with a subsonic load is quiet. Watch the videos .

18 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Think about getting the deed done inside the barrel. Fast powder light load burned inside a few inches no blast wad pellets are subsonic its all done by the length of barrel.  I know my 32 inch franchi with a subsonic load is quiet. Watch the videos .

I have, also watched a fair few shooting videos on YouTube and have found that on the whole a video doesn't really capture the sound properly of a moderated or unmoderated gun. 

1 minute ago, Farmboy91 said:

I have, also watched a fair few shooting videos on YouTube and have found that on the whole a video doesn't really capture the sound properly of a moderated or unmoderated gun. 

12s are loudish silemced .410s though have small powder charges less blast and if gun is drilled with down the barrel moderator, it will be quieter. the slip on screw on cans work in that they contain disperse the blast at distance you hear a bump rather than a bang. Bit like a full bore moderator.

The long barrels stop any blast. its exiting at subsonic speed, its quiet.

I can’t vouch for the 20, I’ve got the .410 Mossberg and really rate it, so far all of the ammo I’ve used has been good 3 inch magnums in Eley and Fiocchi 18 gram 6 and 7. The subsonic is very quiet but you do need to keep range sensible, the .410 isn’t that heavy or ungainly. 
if you can have a go on both before you buy.

i went to buy a mossy 20g modded,thought it was horrible,so ungainly like swingin a log,bought a hushy o/u in 20g,pretty good but very heavy,i did get used to it,but still weren,y quiet enough ended up with a mossy 410 moded,now thats a bit better,very quiet not too heavy,but limited range i can cope with,tried eley 3in,very quiet,fiocchi cheaper but louder now settled on home loads for it but i also load for 20g as well.