300 BLK and the Police

yeet

Had another variation back a few days ago from Avon and Somerset, went to go buy some .22lr and the bloke at the shop looked at my cert, saw my 300BLK and said that the police don't like issuing 300 BLK on peoples tickets because its a 'special forces calibre' and how did I get one after only having a cert for 1.5 years. Now I know other people have got 300 BLK licensed but I was wondering if other people have been told no because a calibre is for 'special forces'. Just thought it was strange.

7 minutes ago, yeet said:

Had another variation back a few days ago from Avon and Somerset, went to go buy some .22lr and the bloke at the shop looked at my cert, saw my 300BLK and said that the police don't like issuing 300 BLK on peoples tickets because its a 'special forces calibre' and how did I get one after only having a cert for 1.5 years. Now I know other people have got 300 BLK licensed but I was wondering if other people have been told no because a calibre is for 'special forces'. Just thought it was strange.

Which shop and person was it? 

Lots of RFD's surprisingly:

1) Don't know that much about guns,

2) Don't shoot, & 

3) Talk a lot of nonsence! 

18 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Which shop and person was it? 

Lots of RFD's surprisingly:

1) Don't know that much about guns,

2) Don't shoot, & 

3) Talk a lot of nonsence! 

As I have often remarked, you don’t need any qualifications to start a gun shop.

2 hours ago, yeet said:

Seems a bit of a strange comment! 
‘The police don’t like issuing it’ but clearly have done? 😀

Oh yes all the special forces are using 300 black out but don’t tell anyone it’s supper secret!!!

its a low power 30 cal what’s the issue it’s not deer legal though but it get onto some lower energy ranges in subsonic mode.  

only thing I think it tells you is next time you need advice don’t go to that gun shop

Agreed but you never know these days as even in the distnat past I have had police firearm licensing officers turn out to assess ground and when asked they admitted they don't shoot and never have and obviously had not got a clue.  Leicestershire do not like 375 caibre and my 375JDJ is for zeroing prior to a foreign trip and to carry to the airport and return, which is basically why I have it, although it is no more dangerous here than 300 Win Mag or any other calibre in the hands of a moron.

Interesting , what do you use the 300 Blackout for by the way ?

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Agreed but you never know these days as even in the distnat past I have had police firearm licensing officers turn out to assess ground and when asked they admitted they don't shoot and never have and obviously had not got a clue.  Leicestershire do not like 375 caibre and my 375JDJ is for zeroing prior to a foreign trip and to carry to the airport and return, which is basically why I have it, although it is no more dangerous here than 300 Win Mag or any other calibre in the hands of a moron.

Interesting , what do you use the 300 Blackout for by the way ?

Most of the Avon and Somerset FEOs I have spoken to are generally quite clued in on shooting and make the right call most of the time.

I use the 300BLK for foxes round my livestock as my .223 spooks them, I also use it on steel targets I've got setup from 50-850 yards

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Oh yes all the special forces are using 300 black out but don’t tell anyone it’s supper secret!!!

its a low power 30 cal what’s the issue it’s not deer legal though but it get onto some lower energy ranges in subsonic mode.  

only thing I think it tells you is next time you need advice don’t go to that gun shop

Funnily enough I've got it conditioned for deer and AOLQ, I won't go shooting any deer but a bit strange they added it

53 minutes ago, yeet said:

Funnily enough I've got it conditioned for deer and AOLQ, I won't go shooting any deer but a bit strange they added it

It’ll be muntjack and CWD legal in England just not roe and the bigger deer.  

I never really got on with mine not sure why but just didn’t.  Glad you seem to like and enjoy using yours. 

Interesting.  I can't get my head around a 223 spooking foxes. I shoot a 22BR which is as near as darn it the same result when fired. Foxes don't get spooked they get dead.

I have shot two one after the other and my rifle is an Encore single shot which needs feeding. The second on ran about 50yrds and looked back.   I'm not putting the calibre down. If it works it works, brilliant.  I would think even the 110 grain bullet will be a bit loopy out to 200 at sub sonic speeds, so I'm assuming this calibre is a short range fox killer round the hen pens etc.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Interesting.  I can't get my head around a 223 spooking foxes. I shoot a 22BR which is as near as darn it the same result when fired. Foxes don't get spooked they get dead.

I have shot two one after the other and my rifle is an Encore single shot which needs feeding. The second on ran about 50yrds and looked back.   I'm not putting the calibre down. If it works it works, brilliant.  I would think even the 110 grain bullet will be a bit loopy out to 200 at sub sonic speeds, so I'm assuming this calibre is a short range fox killer round the hen pens etc.

I meant the .223 spooks the livestock not to fox, Im not worried about spooking them :)

Yeah I keep the ranges sub 200 yards when shooting subs but I generally load them at 1500 fps for a bit of a flatter trajectory 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Subsonic 300 blackout  rounds are 200gr plus, and yes are loopy (100 yd zero, drop 36 inch at 200) but not affected by wind as much as say a 22 sub.

I thought about getting one for work as I saw a nice short straight pull, it was shorter than a short thing with the end cut off! But all the gun shops I asked said they would have big problems getting ammo for it (that's just short hand for we can't be bothered to pick up the phone and order some even if you are looking at spending the  best part of 800 quid on one order) so I just got a 308 instead.

• 3 weeks later...