Jump to content

300 BLK and the Police


Recommended Posts

Had another variation back a few days ago from Avon and Somerset, went to go buy some .22lr and the bloke at the shop looked at my cert, saw my 300BLK and said that the police don't like issuing 300 BLK on peoples tickets because its a 'special forces calibre' and how did I get one after only having a cert for 1.5 years. Now I know other people have got 300 BLK licensed but I was wondering if other people have been told no because a calibre is for 'special forces'. Just thought it was strange.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, yeet said:

Had another variation back a few days ago from Avon and Somerset, went to go buy some .22lr and the bloke at the shop looked at my cert, saw my 300BLK and said that the police don't like issuing 300 BLK on peoples tickets because its a 'special forces calibre' and how did I get one after only having a cert for 1.5 years. Now I know other people have got 300 BLK licensed but I was wondering if other people have been told no because a calibre is for 'special forces'. Just thought it was strange.

 

Which shop and person was it? 

Lots of RFD's surprisingly:

1) Don't know that much about guns,

2) Don't shoot, & 

3) Talk a lot of nonsence! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

 

Which shop and person was it? 

Lots of RFD's surprisingly:

1) Don't know that much about guns,

2) Don't shoot, & 

3) Talk a lot of nonsence! 

As I have often remarked, you don’t need any qualifications to start a gun shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yeet said:

Had another variation back a few days ago from Avon and Somerset, went to go buy some .22lr and the bloke at the shop looked at my cert, saw my 300BLK and said that the police don't like issuing 300 BLK on peoples tickets because its a 'special forces calibre' and how did I get one after only having a cert for 1.5 years. Now I know other people have got 300 BLK licensed but I was wondering if other people have been told no because a calibre is for 'special forces'. Just thought it was strange.

Seems a bit of a strange comment! 
‘The police don’t like issuing it’ but clearly have done? 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes all the special forces are using 300 black out but don’t tell anyone it’s supper secret!!!

its a low power 30 cal what’s the issue it’s not deer legal though but it get onto some lower energy ranges in subsonic mode.  
 

only thing I think it tells you is next time you need advice don’t go to that gun shop

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed but you never know these days as even in the distnat past I have had police firearm licensing officers turn out to assess ground and when asked they admitted they don't shoot and never have and obviously had not got a clue.  Leicestershire do not like 375 caibre and my 375JDJ is for zeroing prior to a foreign trip and to carry to the airport and return, which is basically why I have it, although it is no more dangerous here than 300 Win Mag or any other calibre in the hands of a moron.

Interesting , what do you use the 300 Blackout for by the way ?

Edited by Walker570
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Agreed but you never know these days as even in the distnat past I have had police firearm licensing officers turn out to assess ground and when asked they admitted they don't shoot and never have and obviously had not got a clue.  Leicestershire do not like 375 caibre and my 375JDJ is for zeroing prior to a foreign trip and to carry to the airport and return, which is basically why I have it, although it is no more dangerous here than 300 Win Mag or any other calibre in the hands of a moron.

Interesting , what do you use the 300 Blackout for by the way ?

Most of the Avon and Somerset FEOs I have spoken to are generally quite clued in on shooting and make the right call most of the time.

 

I use the 300BLK for foxes round my livestock as my .223 spooks them, I also use it on steel targets I've got setup from 50-850 yards

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Oh yes all the special forces are using 300 black out but don’t tell anyone it’s supper secret!!!

its a low power 30 cal what’s the issue it’s not deer legal though but it get onto some lower energy ranges in subsonic mode.  
 

only thing I think it tells you is next time you need advice don’t go to that gun shop

Funnily enough I've got it conditioned for deer and AOLQ, I won't go shooting any deer but a bit strange they added it

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, yeet said:

Funnily enough I've got it conditioned for deer and AOLQ, I won't go shooting any deer but a bit strange they added it

It’ll be muntjack and CWD legal in England just not roe and the bigger deer.  
 

I never really got on with mine not sure why but just didn’t.  Glad you seem to like and enjoy using yours. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.  I can't get my head around a 223 spooking foxes. I shoot a 22BR which is as near as darn it the same result when fired. Foxes don't get spooked they get dead.

I have shot two one after the other and my rifle is an Encore single shot which needs feeding. The second on ran about 50yrds and looked back.   I'm not putting the calibre down. If it works it works, brilliant.  I would think even the 110 grain bullet will be a bit loopy out to 200 at sub sonic speeds, so I'm assuming this calibre is a short range fox killer round the hen pens etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Interesting.  I can't get my head around a 223 spooking foxes. I shoot a 22BR which is as near as darn it the same result when fired. Foxes don't get spooked they get dead.

I have shot two one after the other and my rifle is an Encore single shot which needs feeding. The second on ran about 50yrds and looked back.   I'm not putting the calibre down. If it works it works, brilliant.  I would think even the 110 grain bullet will be a bit loopy out to 200 at sub sonic speeds, so I'm assuming this calibre is a short range fox killer round the hen pens etc.

I meant the .223 spooks the livestock not to fox, Im not worried about spooking them :)

Yeah I keep the ranges sub 200 yards when shooting subs but I generally load them at 1500 fps for a bit of a flatter trajectory 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Interesting.  I can't get my head around a 223 spooking foxes. I shoot a 22BR which is as near as darn it the same result when fired. Foxes don't get spooked they get dead.

I have shot two one after the other and my rifle is an Encore single shot which needs feeding. The second on ran about 50yrds and looked back.   I'm not putting the calibre down. If it works it works, brilliant.  I would think even the 110 grain bullet will be a bit loopy out to 200 at sub sonic speeds, so I'm assuming this calibre is a short range fox killer round the hen pens etc.

Subsonic 300 blackout  rounds are 200gr plus, and yes are loopy (100 yd zero, drop 36 inch at 200) but not affected by wind as much as say a 22 sub.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about getting one for work as I saw a nice short straight pull, it was shorter than a short thing with the end cut off! But all the gun shops I asked said they would have big problems getting ammo for it (that's just short hand for we can't be bothered to pick up the phone and order some even if you are looking at spending the  best part of 800 quid on one order) so I just got a 308 instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...