Cheese Press

amateur

Following on from my attempt to make a hard cheese, as detailed in Food and Drink, I decided to have another go and make a goats cheese, but to improve on the makeshift cake tin press that I used last time.

I had some aluminium tube that had been kicking around the workshop for the past 30 years being saved for such a project, so I cut a length off and turned it true(ish).

I had some 1/4" plate and 1" bar, so Lumiwelded 2 short lengths of bar to the plates and turned them circular to size in the lathe to form the end-caps.

I then drilled the drain holes.

I use a large G clamp to apply the pressure

Of course, when I ordered the rennet, proper cheesecloth, lactobacillus and dried goats milk from a supplier of cheesemaking sundries, I discovered that he sold plastic cheese presses for less than £20.

Mine was free!

I apologise to any machinists and craftsmen on here. I am "the amateur"

4242020155725.jpg

4242020151749.jpg

4242020155642.jpg

Edited by amateur

I'm starting on the goats' cheese tonight.

Reading the proper method, though, it will take a day to make the culture, plus another day to make and drain the curd, then a couple of days in the press, followed by a week or three to mature.

It's a good job that I've got sod all else to do 😁

39 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Genuine question....Is aluminium safe to use for food manufacture for human consumption??

one of the coffee machines made by the company i work for use an aluminium boiler being a food grade one but it does have an anodize lining ones the lining starts to break away it's no good, so this is a very good question

10 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Genuine question....Is aluminium safe to use for food manufacture for human consumption??

I shall no doubt find out, but having eaten food cooked in aluminium saucepans and wrapped in aluminium foil over the years, I guess that the risk is small.

The curds will be wrapped in muslin in the press and in the press for a maximum of a couple of days.

If I detect any deterioration of the surface,  I will invest in a plastic one. 

Hasn't aluminium been implicated in dementia? In which case my family would probably not notice any changes in me 😁

32 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

Impressive job done there,i think it's safe to say that by having the ability to craft up items like that you've somewhat surpassed the level of an amateur!

Thanks very much for that.

My late father, a chartered mechanical engineer, would have been highly derisory had I suggested that I was anything other than an amateur

There was some link proposed between aluminium and dementia but it must be relatively small. Used to see riveters in my place with a mouthful of alloy rivets to speed their job up if they were riveting up a full fuselage joint or buttstrap. Tend to hear guys crying more about carbon fibre in our work now.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Hornet99 said:

I looked into the aluminium and dementia but I think it was concluded it was/is urban myth

many years ago...there was a story that one of the local water companies overdosed the works with aluminium sulphate AuSo4....and it turned peoples hair to a greenish tinge..

30 minutes ago, ditchman said:

that was quite an incident..............i wonder if there is any come back in 2020..........it killed a hell of a lot of trout and salmon as well when flushing out the pipes..

I strongly suspect many of the people involved will have been moved or sacked or payed off.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I strongly suspect many of the people involved will have been moved or sacked or payed off.

what about the customers..............have they developed any conditions ?

bet they are being moinitored.secretly

• 3 months later...