Walking stick

My 5 year old asked me for a walking stick and we picked a stick we found around January. 
well I’ve had a crazy 4 months as some will know and now I’m back home  I thought I’d try and surprise her when I have her on Tuesday. 
I found a piece of timber from under my dads turning bench and knocked this up in a few hours finishing it off with my draw knife. 

1546176D-7ADB-4DBF-888D-664405B86D91.jpeg

2A186B9C-B69B-497F-865B-343F9C58078F.jpeg

441B9141-78FB-44ED-BE84-B95E47B7D70E.jpeg

77CBB260-6C5B-44AB-9C4F-5F74AE93EE33.jpeg

483F34EC-CEF1-4414-A9A4-C0DAD45284E7.jpeg

E41E5B58-51B7-415D-9814-8A294CF1647E.jpeg

Like the top , what's the shank ? Like the joint , if you have a decent vice , two short lengths of wood about 2 ft by inch , inside of vice with a spacer at the bottom , you can straighten the shank , using a pinch method & hot air gun , be worth it ! Look really professional! Dont be tempted to check for straightness till totally cold! O

8 minutes ago, boo said:

Like the top , what's the shank ? Like the joint , if you have a decent vice , two short lengths of wood about 2 ft by inch , inside of vice with a spacer at the bottom , you can straighten the shank , using a pinch method & hot air gun , be worth it ! Look really professional! Dont be tempted to check for straightness till totally cold! O

I haven’t a clue what either piece is to be honest. I thought hazzle stick and possibly ash on the top. 

Nice one TT.  Almost up to the standard I would expect from you:yay:  It may look difficult but a slanting joint is much much easier to get a tight fit between head and stick.  I was put on to this 30 years ago at a show by a very nice chap who did some awesome stick head carvings...I'm terrible on names but Tom springs to mind, gingerish beard and hair a real gent.

Anyone else remember him, is he still about ?

Edited by Walker570

12 hours ago, Sako7mm said:

Come on, then. Someone else admit that they thought the last photo was going to show that he'd cut his hand off. As soon as I read the words 'draw knife' I was wincing.

😂😂😂 you know me too well 

7 hours ago, SPARKIE said:

that fruitloops hand holding the stick in pics?

Workers hands 😎

4 hours ago, washerboy said:

What a great thing to do 👍

It looks really nice, it's a gift that will last years. She will be over the moon for sure. 

Cheers . I’ll find out tomorrow 

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Nice one TT.  Almost up to the standard I would expect from you:yay:  It may look difficult but a slanting joint is much much easier to get a tight fit between head and stick.  I was put on to this 30 years ago at a show by a very nice chap who did some awesome stick head carvings...I'm terrible on names but Tom springs to mind, gingerish beard and hair a real gent.

I thought that’s normal after looking at a load on here. I truly haven’t a clue on these things 😂

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

From the first picture I thought he was making a gear knob for the car!:w00t:

😂😂😂😂 it’ll look great on my terios 

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I agree that is a nice stick for his daughter who I'm sure will be delighted.

However, I did not know that an angled jointed is easier to do than a straight one, so will try that on my next stick. 

OB

3 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I agree that is a nice stick for his daughter who I'm sure will be delighted.

However, I did not know that an angled jointed is easier to do than a straight one, so will try that on my next stick. 

OB

My mate said it’s stronger and if you think about it it’s got a bigger area for glue . 

8 hours ago, boo said:

If so , dont forget to drill hole first for the pin , before you cut your angled joint.....😉

Spot on.  I use JB Weld in mine and plenty of it so it gets pressed in all the nooks and crannies and forms almost a total 'metal' bond better than other epoxy's.  Haven't had one come loose yet.  Threaded bar is in my view ideal with lots of grip for the weld to get into. I also carefull run a slightly larger threaded bolt into the hole, one with a coarse thread, you could use a tap for this and that then provides further surface for the weld to form into for a strong joint.

45 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Spot on.  I use JB Weld in mine and plenty of it so it gets pressed in all the nooks and crannies and forms almost a total 'metal' bond better than other epoxy's.  Haven't had one come loose yet.  Threaded bar is in my view ideal with lots of grip for the weld to get into. I also carefull run a slightly larger threaded bolt into the hole, one with a coarse thread, you could use a tap for this and that then provides further surface for the weld to form into for a strong joint.

It’s great to learn these things. I have been making sticks for years and never used an angled joint until my most recent stick and that was only because the antler was at an angle. I will try the JB weld if I can get hold of some. Going to try danish oil too as I used yacht varnish up to now. Any tips for using it or best stuff to get?

On 26/05/2020 at 08:34, Dave at kelton said:

tips for using it or best stuff to get?

I just got a tin with Danish aoil,written on it😂

Cut any buds /rough bits off shank with sharp knife

rub down lightly with about 400

wipe dust off

apply two coats diluted with a bit of white spirit. I've tried with a lint free cloth or paint brush. Doesn't seem to make much difference 

0000 wire wool lightly

another 3/4 coats undiluted with 0000 wire wool between coats

33 minutes ago, Diver One said:

I just got a tin with Danish aoil,written on it😂

Cut any buds /rough bits off shank with sharp knife

rub down lightly with about 400

wipe dust off

apply two coats diluted with a bit of white spirit. I've tried with a lint free cloth or paint brush. Doesn't seem to make much difference 

0000 wire wool lightly

another 3/4 coats undiluted with 0000 wire wool between coats

Thanks will give it a go!