opinions on a Hw99 or other options - thank you

zipdog

Hello,

My 20 year old Webley Xocet, Birmingham made, is finally starting to show signs of ages. While i am persistent in trying to get her back on point I still feel she is ready for a bit of retirement. 

I would have another Xocet in a heartbeat, however, a few years back, i did by a BSA lightning (turkish made), it was that bad its put me off anything made in that part of the world. I understand the new Webley's are much the same, production moved abroad. 

I have shot a friends Tx200 and it is absolute superb. If money was no object that would be my first choice, however I simply cannot bring myself to spend £500 on a airgun. 

This leaves me with the HW99 which appears to be well made and reasonably priced. Just wondering if anyone had any opinions on them, or could recommend anything else.

Many thanks

Edited by zipdog

Lovely rifle.  They can be tuned to shoot extremely smoothly, and a strip, polish and re-grease makes a nice rifle into an excellent one.   If you buy new you'll want to strip off the storage grease anyway, so session with the wet and dry won't be a bother.  The Rekord trigger is always excellent and can be modded or replaced with a single stage Venom/V-Mach unit. Sandwell Field sports do a tuned version called the Imp which is a really nice rifle too.  There was supposed to be a galling issue on some guns but it's fixable and I've not heard it mentioned for a while.

You might want to look at the CZ634 for similar money.  It's got a really well designed stock and barrel lock.  Welsh Willy does a drop in tuning kit, but again a bit of surface preparation is all that's really needed.  Same CZ quality that you get with all their rifles.  

Can't go wrong with either I reckon.   

28 minutes ago, Wharf Rat said:

Lovely rifle.  They can be tuned to shoot extremely smoothly, and a strip, polish and re-grease makes a nice rifle into an excellent one.   If you buy new you'll want to strip off the storage grease anyway, so session with the wet and dry won't be a bother.  The Rekord trigger is always excellent and can be modded or replaced with a single stage Venom/V-Mach unit. Sandwell Field sports do a tuned version called the Imp which is a really nice rifle too.  There was supposed to be a galling issue on some guns but it's fixable and I've not heard it mentioned for a while.

You might want to look at the CZ634 for similar money.  It's got a really well designed stock and barrel lock.  Welsh Willy does a drop in tuning kit, but again a bit of surface preparation is all that's really needed.  Same CZ quality that you get with all their rifles.  

Can't go wrong with either I reckon.   

Thank you very much for your reply. I am a big CZ fan in rimfire. Struggling to find anyone who sells CZ air rifles though, could you recommend anyone? 

Edited by zipdog

I ordered mine from my local RFD.  Any CZ stockist can get you one, I think that Edgar Brothers might be the distributor.  

Chris at Norfolk Sporting Guns got me mine, the other Edgar Brothers stockist, Churchill's priced one for the same money.   I've had a basic CZ630 for 34 years, I bought the 634 about a decade ago.  Apart from a scratch that my daughter put on the barrel, it's like new still.   I fitted a PTFE guide and washer kit from Poland (EBay) and polished the internals to a mirror finish.   It's accounted for lots of rabbits.  

I have an HW80, an HW77 and an HW97K.  I use the 97K (Venom tuned) for HFT, but the CZ I use for hunting due to the low weight.  It's better for snap shooting.  

99 has a galling issue hw have fitted anti galling strip which is rubbish mine still did it out of the box fixed it sold it had no end of springers over the years nothing has ever come close to a pcp best advice i can give you buy a air arms pcp does exactly what they say on the box if budget is a issue bsa ultra is a good cheap buy 

29 minutes ago, clangerman said:

99 has a galling issue hw have fitted anti galling strip which is rubbish mine still did it out of the box fixed it sold it had no end of springers over the years nothing has ever come close to a pcp best advice i can give you buy a air arms pcp does exactly what they say on the box if budget is a issue bsa ultra is a good cheap buy 

What year is your HW99?  

8 hours ago, clangerman said:

BSA ultra will match any airgun , including top price ones pellet for pellet all day long 

8 hours ago, Wharf Rat said:

I ordered mine from my local RFD.  Any CZ stockist can get you one, I think that Edgar Brothers might be the distributor.  

Chris at Norfolk Sporting Guns got me mine, the other Edgar Brothers stockist, Churchill's priced one for the same money.   I've had a basic CZ630 for 34 years, I bought the 634 about a decade ago.  Apart from a scratch that my daughter put on the barrel, it's like new still.   I fitted a PTFE guide and washer kit from Poland (EBay) and polished the internals to a mirror finish.   It's accounted for lots of rabbits.  

I have an HW80, an HW77 and an HW97K.  I use the 97K (Venom tuned) for HFT, but the CZ I use for hunting due to the low weight.  It's better for snap shooting.  

Sportsman gun Centre has CZ now and not Edgar 

Had one of the new ones with the galling supposedly fixed, it wasn't. Tried the fixes, opening up the pin on the , anti galling strip etc, messed around with a brand new rifle, still galling after 20 or so shots, it's a disgrace HW  send them out, avoid.

15 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Whats do you mean sorry?

You said you don't want to spend £500 on an airgun.

The HW99 costs about £220 as I can see online, then you have to buy a scope, and scope rings to mount it, by the time you've done that you'll be looking at £300-350 ... I was suggesting that you look for a decent HW97 or similar second hand, where you could most likely pick up a decent second hand rifle with scope etc all included not similar money :) 

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You said you don't want to spend £500 on an airgun.

The HW99 costs about £220 as I can see online, then you have to buy a scope, and scope rings to mount it, by the time you've done that you'll be looking at £300-350 ... I was suggesting that you look for a decent HW97 or similar second hand, where you could most likely pick up a decent second hand rifle with scope etc all included not similar money  

Not a bad shout. Iv got about 3 simmons kicking about so i really don’t need a scope, so its only the mounts.

11 hours ago, washerboy said:

They are a unit compared to the Hw99s 

They weigh as much as a hw80 but the trigger isn't the usual rekord unit. I loved my 90 but they are an acquired taste. 

I didn't know it wasn't the Rekord trigger, thanks for pointing that out.