Pellets

Ratlegs

Bought these  £5.00 a tin  from a boot sale   Question are American pellets imperial size?

I tried 3 in  the    hw 80      none would go   out of the breech  

Then tried them in the  Mercury  it sent them down range well

many thanks for any suggestions

( thought about melting them down for a hammer head)

IMG_20200525_093517_hdr.jpg

There was a bad batch going around the other year where they were oversized and jamming in barrels, I bought a load in the hope they would work in the older larger bsa barrels and they do work ok in them. I did measure the head and they were quite large.

the shop I got them from was selling them off at a couple of quid a tin. 

Often see them for sale at game fairs at the stores that stock the zombie knifes. You know the kind of stall i mean, the ones that have bright orange airsoft guns and massively overpriced/underpowered/badly made/eye snatcher crossbows on the front tables....

Ive never seen any gun shop sell them. 

1 hour ago, spurs 14 said:

I’ve found it’s just not worth bothering with cheap pellets ! False economy , 

Agreed. You can't measure how your accuracy is improving by testing yourself. I don't play golf but I'd imagine it'd be like playing eighteen holes with a mishapen, out of "spec" out of round ball with half the cover knocked off. It doesn't tell you anything useful.

On 27/05/2020 at 21:51, spurs 14 said:

I’ve found it’s just not worth bothering with cheap pellets ! False economy , 

Yes I couldn't agree more,

Buying cheap ammo whether pellets, Rimfire ammo, or shotgun shells is indeed a false economy.

By doing so you are only encouraging them to make more!

31 minutes ago, Discontinued said:

Yes I couldn't agree more,

Buying cheap ammo whether pellets, Rimfire ammo, or shotgun shells is indeed a false economy.

By doing so you are only encouraging them to make more!

There’s plenty of cheap rimfire (22lr) ammo as well as shotgun cartridges. 

A 28g UK size 7 cartridge that’s for ‘clays’ that costs £220 per 1000, will kill a pigeon or pheasant just as well as a 28g 7 that’s a ‘game’ cartridge and priced in at over £300. 

Some of these faster powders etc, or hardness of shot will not make a difference 9/10 times.  

I'm not so knowledgeable on shotguns and I suppose smooth bores maybe a little different. 

I just have a 20 bore and im a complete novice at shotguns TBH

Although I had some pretty bad experiences with Eley fourten namely it kept bouncing of things and hitting me unfortunately, I don't bounce lead very well and had numerous welts on my shins.

Im predominantly, a target shooter.

For me cheap 22 ammo just isn't worth the risk and often is wildly inconsistent, although I no longer have a Ruger 10/22 (thankfully) it became ammo fussy after 15 years and it gave me an insight into poor quality ammo, CCI for instance uses some kind of coal for propellant which would foul the action and coke up the bore.

Basically any american ammo is junk Winchester hollow points are shockingly inaccurate and no way would i ever consider hunting with them at more than 20 yards.

Remington Thunderturds "pop, pop, bang, phut".

Winchester HP "phut, pop, pop, crack"

Federal Don't go there the heads look sandcast

RWS Geko = See above

Now I only use SK Standard plus, or Tennex in my Target rifle, as I want to be 100% sure that its me, not the ammo that misses. SK is reasonably priced

The days of good and cheap are rapidly dissapearing.

Luckily I was gifted around 20 tins of Match Kugeln in .177 so my airgun ammo is sorted 

5 hours ago, Discontinued said:

I'm not so knowledgeable on shotguns and I suppose smooth bores maybe a little different. 

I just have a 20 bore and im a complete novice at shotguns TBH

Although I had some pretty bad experiences with Eley fourten namely it kept bouncing of things and hitting me unfortunately, I don't bounce lead very well and had numerous welts on my shins.

Im predominantly, a target shooter.

For me cheap 22 ammo just isn't worth the risk and often is wildly inconsistent, although I no longer have a Ruger 10/22 (thankfully) it became ammo fussy after 15 years and it gave me an insight into poor quality ammo, CCI for instance uses some kind of coal for propellant which would foul the action and coke up the bore.

Basically any american ammo is junk Winchester hollow points are shockingly inaccurate and no way would i ever consider hunting with them at more than 20 yards.

Remington Thunderturds "pop, pop, bang, phut".

Winchester HP "phut, pop, pop, crack"

Federal Don't go there the heads look sandcast

RWS Geko = See above

Now I only use SK Standard plus, or Tennex in my Target rifle, as I want to be 100% sure that its me, not the ammo that misses. SK is reasonably priced

The days of good and cheap are rapidly dissapearing.

Luckily I was gifted around 20 tins of Match Kugeln in .177 so my airgun ammo is sorted 

I was going to comment 🤔

thought better of it as your doing a good enough job yourself 

no comment