‘Nice’ folding rabbiting knife suggestions..

PPP

Having fully subscribed to the cheapy Mora/BokerMagnum option for all things fieldsports which have worked brilliantly and have not caused tears when damaged or lost, I’m looking for something nicer.

I’d like something that will stand the test of time, will age and have a story to tell .. ideally sub £100 unless a great reason to spend more .. this will mostly be used for paunching rabbits .. ideally locking blade and something with a usual grind angle that a lansky turn box will keep razor sharp..

Ideas appreciated..

10 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Opinel. If you want to be different then get the oak wood or walnut wood one. But whichever get the "inox" stainless steel blade version. I have a No7 in beech wood and a No8 in walnut. The No7 is the smaller. Both blades are extremely sharp and easy to keep so because they are so thin.

No, if you want the best Opinel, you need to speak with Ditchman.

IMG_20181210_140244.jpg

Thanks, but I’d like something nicer than an opinel, I have one and it’s great but I want something to keep and look back on in time or pass done to my grandkids in 40 years time..

I was thinking of a Buck 110 but the sharpening angle is problematic ..

If you're going to fork out for a keeper, then apart from the make it might pay to also consider its use. There's nothing worse than simply slipping in ideal conditions, never mind in foul weather in the dark, and opening up the intestines with a pointy end. Have a look at a sheepsfoot or similar.

The other folding knife knife I have is a Lagouile. Bought ten plus years ago when I was working near Tours in France. Similar profile to this, with the bee but UK carry legal blade.

https://www.wineandbarrels.co.uk/shop/308-laguiole/3353-laguiole---foldable-knife---brown-pakka-wood/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgc65mpTP6QIVU4BQBh3tMApfEAYYAyABEgJ1hPD_BwE

Edited by enfieldspares

I bought a laguiole but in the U.K and a cheapy one, really can’t get on with it, it’s now relegated to picnic duties ...

https://www.laguiole-attitude.com/en/other-laguiole-folding-knife/709-super-trekker-knife-gift-box-with-knife-leather-case-and-sharpener-exotic-wood-handle-22cm-3700562713192.html

Sadly I read the reviews too late ...

https://www.amazon.com/LAGUIOLE-Trekker-leather-sharpener-exotic/product-reviews/B00F3LCQFI

Edited by PPP

I've had a little opinel since I was about 5. Nearly 36 years now and its still going and still like a razor. Its accounted for a few scars on my fingers in that time too. 

That said there are a lot of folding pocket knife out there and some are very nice indeed, I don't think you need to spend more than 50 for a cracker. Hennie is a good website to start.