‘Nice’ folding rabbiting knife suggestions..

PPP

7 hours ago, wymberley said:

If you're going to fork out for a keeper, then apart from the make it might pay to also consider its use. There's nothing worse than simply slipping in ideal conditions, never mind in foul weather in the dark, and opening up the intestines with a pointy end. Have a look at a sheepsfoot or similar.

I was going to suggest a Sheepsfoot, specially if you can find an older one.  The angle/shape of my old one circa  1950 ish was perfect for gutting bunnies. My mother used to sell at least a dozen on the Saturday milk round, if I remember correctly 2/6p each in the skin gutted and snare caught Friday night.  The tip in prticular could be honed razor sharp.

18 minutes ago, dipper said:

I’ve got a Buck 110 had it 35years used it very little.Just too big looks good if your into knives.

Looking into it further I’d probably get 112 as it’s much smaller..

13 hours ago, PPP said:

Hi

Thoughts on this if you don’t mind?

https://www.heinnie.com/moki-blakiston-s-fish-owl-23861

You're in the right place. Search "sheeps foot", there' quite a selection. Between me and you - don't tell anyone - I know what I'd do. What you're after is not EDC (locking) (non locking, then Otter do a beauty) so I'd think out of the box for something nice. All you need is a pocket sized knife when closed which isn't huge when opened. I know a man that does a fixed bladed knife which being so is actually shorter than a folder with the same sized blade and looks delightful. I would ask if he would (I know very well that he could) do a sheeps foot version of his Stickleback. There's a lot to be said for a fixed blade and cleaning where blood and guts are involved.

Actually, come to think of it, should you do so I could well tag along for the ride.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

You're in the right place. Search "sheeps foot", there' quite a selection. Between me and you - don't tell anyone - I know what I'd do. What you're after is not EDC (locking) (non locking, then Otter do a beauty) so I'd think out of the box for something nice. All you need is a pocket sized knife when closed which isn't huge when opened. I know a man that does a fixed bladed knife which being so is actually shorter than a folder with the same sized blade and looks delightful. I would ask if he would (I know very well that he could) do a sheeps foot version of his Stickleback. There's a lot to be said for a fixed blade and cleaning where blood and guts are involved.

Actually, come to think of it I could well tag along for the ride.

I like that idea, although the reason I was looking for a locking folder was that I can leave it on my belt and it doesn’t look too intimidating to passers by, several of my permissions have foot paths through and in fact I walk to a couple of them along the road so am in the presence of Joe Public.  However, I agree, fixed blades are safer and o have a Boker plus fixed blade that I use frequently and bought a ‘dangler’ so it can be easily removed and stowed in back pack (I bought a rifle carrying back pack for the same reason).  

I’m trying to travel to close locations ‘lighter’ hence the idea for belt pouch folding lock knife, but another fixed blade wouldn’t be an awful I’d if built with rabbits in mind (Boker is perfect for Deer but a bit big for Bunnies)

22 hours ago, wymberley said:

Actually, come to think of it, should you do so I could well tag along for the ride.

Hi, sorry to bug you... what is your view of this ? It’s not locking and needs a case but otherwise could be great..

https://www.sportingcutlery.co.uk/lamsfoot-blade-with-gut-hook-and-rosewood-handles

Edited by PPP

1 hour ago, PPP said:

Hi, sorry to bug you... what is your view of this ? It’s not locking and needs a case but otherwise could be great..

https://www.sportingcutlery.co.uk/lamsfoot-blade-with-gut-hook-and-rosewood-handles

Very nice, UK made as well. Not for me though as not essential but to cater for all possible conditions a locking or fixed blade has the edge(!?).

21 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Very nice, UK made as well. Not for me though as not essential but to cater for all possible conditions a locking or fixed blade has the edge(!?).

I think you are right, especially as the but hook could fold the knife back against fingers... would you mind connecting me to your fixed blade chap?

1 hour ago, PPP said:

I think you are right, especially as the but hook could fold the knife back against fingers... would you mind connecting me to your fixed blade chap?

No problem, It's Fatchap on here - just a PM away. This is what yopu're looking at:

But with a different blade profile of course.

2 hours ago, Bumble said:

I’ve been using a Boker Plus ‘Tech Tool 1’ with glow-in-the-dark scales. 
https://www.heinnie.com/boker-plus-tech-tool-gitd-orange-1

Great blade shape, razor-sharp, and glows in the dark so if you put it down/drop it whilst paunching in the dark, it’s easy to find. 

Ah, I’ve got a black one as my edc, it didn’t occur to me to try that, I’ll give it a go.. Thanks

Svord mini peasant. Friction folding design, so has absolutely no lock and is therefore legal to carry without good reason, yet is totally safe in hand, as when blade is open, hand holds tang into handle. L6 steel, so easy to sharpen to an evil edge, will hold that edge well, and will develop a patina so grows its character. Can get them with different coloured plastic handles, easy to find in the grass, and takes apart with a screwdriver, so easy to keep clean. Less than 20 quid. Great knives.