Chas. Maleham of Sheffield.

Sidelock133

I have recently bought in a curious Boxlock gun by Chas. Maleham.  I bought it because it had a Boss Single Trigger,  and I collect S/Ts.  
The gun is numbered as 1803 and the barrels are by Arthur Turner (Late of Maleham etc.) and were proofed in 1922.  The barrels measure as proofed.
The ejectors are Maleham's Patent 9677 of 1888 and use No.150.  The ejectors are exceptionally weak with cases failing to clear the chambers.  The forend release is a huge button which when depressed,  releases the forend.  This button carries a W&C Scott Castle Trademark and the word Patent.
The Boss S/T has no effective involuntary second pull so effectively double discharges.  
The stock was at one time broken through the grip and it's been glued back together.  I didn't buy the gun to use,  I bought it for the trigger - just as well really!
The gun has a third bite very similar to that of the Giant Frame Tolley,  except that the swinging bolt is internal and is covered by an exceptionally well fitting cap which I didn't notice until I got the gun home.
The action has been beautifully filed-up with a scalloped back-end,  the bar has a fine and well made bolster and the engraving coverage is full.
I wonder if anyone can head me towards any thoughts on the design or style of action - I'd be grateful.
I'll now see if I can load some pics!

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3897.JPG

IMG_3899.JPG

IMG_3900.JPG

Edited by Sidelock133

1 minute ago, matone said:

It certainly oozes quality! Could the stock repair be causing the trigger problems ? I`ve seen many Boss guns with s/t problems,usually on re-stocks .

I did wonder that,  but then my S/T Guru chum assures me that the Boss needs to have a couple of mm of free play,  before the sear is engaged on the first barrel - this has none - perhaps I'll take it to bits and re-assemble it - or may be even leave it alone!  There is too much which is too wrong to warrant restoration - sadly.

As an aside,  should anyone have a single trigger which isn't performing as it might - PM me and I'll give you the contact details of just about the only man who I'd trust.

Just now, matone said:

There`s a thread and pics of a very similar maleham on the net with d/t in which it is suggested  to have been made by W & C Scott.

I found that a week or so back - W&C Scott were mentioned,  and also a suggested 'Model' name,  and now I'm damned if I can find it! 

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

Interesting. I wasn’t aware there were other makers of sxs’s who made them with single triggers. They would have much more appeal to me if they were more common. 

Single Triggers can be tricky - every gun that I have is so fitted,  but few who made guns then - or now for that matter,  want to offer a warranty.  They can be prone to malfunction,  very often because of the user,  and even the cartridges used.

7 minutes ago, Sidelock133 said:

Single Triggers can be tricky - every gun that I have is so fitted,  but few who made guns then - or now for that matter,  want to offer a warranty.  They can be prone to malfunction,  very often because of the user,  and even the cartridges used.

Thanks for taking the time. Interesting. 

regardless of cost............i would have it restored to full working order...........thats why i never have any money................if a gun dosnt function as it should do ...then to me it is no more use than a fishing weight..............really nice bit of engineering....

1 hour ago, Sidelock133 said:

I found that a week or so back - W&C Scott were mentioned,  and also a suggested 'Model' name,  and now I'm damned if I can find it! 

Is this what your looking for

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=184157

What many dont realise is that the condition of the stock can and will affect a single triggers function  .If the stock is not hard firm on the action , or if over time the wood has shrunk and the hand pin pulled up can affect it . When a gun was made the stocker fitted the trigger plate and cut out for the trigger work , the single trigger was then regulated . It was not a simple fit in unit and needed to have the set of the sears carefully adjusted as well as all the other intricacies of the unit its self .

Restocking a S/T gun is also a problem and no matter how careful you are the slightest difference can mean quite a lot of additional work in getting the trigger right .

Of course the biggest problem with old S/T's is that someone has been at it before . 

13 hours ago, Scully said:

Interesting. I wasn’t aware there were other makers of sxs’s who made them with single triggers. They would have much more appeal to me if they were more common. 

I've got a 1915 Joseph Lang with a single trigger, no issues with the trigger in a few years of owning it

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2020 at 19:17, Scully said:

Oh SCULLY there's a whole raft of patents for single triggers. Non-selective and also selective. Not just Boss's or rather Robertson's patent. Burrard covers the pros, and cons, of most. Lang's, Purdey's (the famous Robertson v Purdey legal case - I saw and handled once the very boxwood court exhibits), Westley's, Holland's and etc. all offered single trigger options.

Edited by enfieldspares