Choice of two

Wiggum

I’m looking at getting another air rifle and have pretty much narrowed it down to either a BSA ultra SE or a Walther Rotex varmint UC. 
I’ve had a BSA ultra in the past but have recently come across the Walther and it seems to get good reviews. 
Has anyone owned one and what are your thoughts? 

Thanks

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

From personal experience I would not have a Rotex if you gave it me. Duty bound to suggest you try the AA S410.

I’ve previously had a AA S400, AA S410, Rapid 12 FAC, Gunpower stealth and the BSA ultra and fancy something quite compact hence the Choice of these two but it seems the Walther is a non starter 

One of the best club shooters in the south west uses a Rotex ,  I don`t know what discipline he shoots but he is in the medals. I also have a target ( but not from him ) shot at over 40 meters  to do a pellet test and with the exception of the odd flyer the groupings are easily covered by a 5p coin. I am not knocking the BSA at all but the Walther is regulated ,  as accurate as most would need and comfortable to hold.

Mine wasn't - the gun is poorly made from the action of a different gun entirely. The magazine O ring pulls the pellet off centre when it is new and makes loading notchy as well as damaging the pellet - the barrel is only slightly stiffer than a Coffin Dodgers morning glory and the whole gun simply weighs too much - my utmost respect, however, to anyone who can live with it's failings.

8 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Mine wasn't - the gun is poorly made from the action of a different gun entirely. The magazine O ring pulls the pellet off centre when it is new and makes loading notchy as well as damaging the pellet - the barrel is only slightly stiffer than a Coffin Dodgers morning glory and the whole gun simply weighs too much - my utmost respect, however, to anyone who can live with it's failings.

Hi was that the original Rotex or the new UC version 

thanks

The ultra is pretty much bomb proof.

14 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

From personal experience I would not have a Rotex if you gave it me. Duty bound to suggest you try the AA S410.

I like that duty bound, didn't know you liked the 410 😇😇

Mine was an early version - but I doubt that the Mag has been changed.I think there was a few members on "another" forum fairly recently telling the truth about this gun. What's not to like Mice? AA got it pretty much spot on first time and I regret selling mine - the Cat is no better in any way other than shot count.

Edited by bruno22rf

The magazine for the Magnum 850 is a slightly different design , it fits the Rotex and works perfectly. The 850 mags are about £22 for TWO so it's not really the issue some people are making it out to be. I seem to recall that lots of people complain about magazines for all makes of guns including BSA . 

No disrespect intended Mice! I feel obliged to pass on my opinion - when you buy an AA you enter into a secretive world of Hobbit like creatures who spend hours on the Web discussing their guns (and perusing the underwear listings on Ebay) - eventually all you can think about is AA (or 38 B) - we even sing the company song in the morning. Did you not get a CD of the tune and a video clip of the special handshake? Most large towns seem to have an AA meeting once a week - went once but it was full of drunks. 

42 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Nothing at all, I just like the duty bound comment, but he didn't ask about the 410, which I imagine means there is a choice of two guns available??

@Wiggum any progress fella?

I’m waiting for the dealer to reopen so I can have a hold of the Walther, he’s only doing click and collect currently with no browsing 

11 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

No disrespect intended Mice! I feel obliged to pass on my opinion - when you buy an AA you enter into a secretive world of Hobbit like creatures who spend hours on the Web discussing their guns (and perusing the underwear listings on Ebay) - eventually all you can think about is AA (or 38 B) - we even sing the company song in the morning. Did you not get a CD of the tune and a video clip of the special handshake? Most large towns seem to have an AA meeting once a week - went once but it was full of drunks. 

None taken, I've not joined the club yet, I was merely looking at membership before having my head turned by a bargain,  sorry BSA, or baby Rapid as I call her 😅

7 minutes ago, Wiggum said:

I’m waiting for the dealer to reopen so I can have a hold of the Walther, he’s only doing click and collect currently with no browsing 

Very sensible 👍

Just a thought here if clothes shops are having to either clean or set aside for 72 hrs things that you handle or return will gun shops be as happy for you to fondle the goods  as they previously were?   I suppose you could wear disposable gloves and put a sock on the stock but the sock would then need cleaning before re using and if you want to play with several guns will that mean several socks ?