Shooting the engineers

strimmer_13

1 hour ago, stumfelter said:

Which would be better for EE engineers  .177 or .22?

177 if they are high, less drop. 

8 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

its been said it's a made up story as to take some pressure of EE getting to some sites late :yes:

Wonder what o2 are going to come up with around here 😅

Going to be controversial here... I think airguns should be licensed, with licenses available for all ages. 25 years ago I had a BB gun, my brother and I were generally was quite sensible with them. Aged 11 I lent one to an eegit school friend. First thing he did was shoot our mutual friend in the back of the head, causing a welt. I took the gun back. Less than 10 mins 🙈

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Going to be controversial here... I think airguns should be licensed, with licenses available for all ages. 25 years ago I had a BB gun, my brother and I were generally was quite sensible with them. Aged 11 I lent one to an eegit school friend. First thing he did was shoot our mutual friend in the back of the head, causing a welt. I took the gun back. Less than 10 mins 🙈

Would a licence have stopped him being an idiot?

It would have probably instilled in me the responsibility to have stopped me being an idiot, and understanding that having any weapon is a privileged position. 

Its only one event, but made me realise even at that age how little common sense most people have.

8 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

It would have probably instilled in me the responsibility to have stopped me being an idiot, and understanding that having any weapon is a privileged position. 

Its only one event, but made me realise even at that age how little common sense most people have.

Would having common sense be a requirement for obtaining this licence? 

12 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

That’s what BB guns are for? For kids to shoot each other with and play soldiers without any real hurt. 

Should wear eye protection really, and anything that doesn’t draw blood is fine...

Guns are not acceptable to those who misunderstand why we have or use them they just think of those who want to kill each other on our streets. Perhaps if BASC and other shooting groups got to together  on this matter and put a explanation why we shoot and what we do to help wild animals. Does Mr Chris Packham  and his mates go out to injured deer all hours. No because he is not on TV and not  getting paid for it .

On 30/05/2020 at 01:03, WalkedUp said:

Gun safety does not spring from licences, maybe be careful what you wish for? 

I had a knife at 8 and an air rifle at 11, where is the link with a bit of paper and safety?

Guns are just guns not weapons?

Edited by old man

1 hour ago, old man said:

Gun safety does not spring from licences, maybe be careful what you wish for? 

I had a knife at 8 and an air rifle at 11, where is the link with a bit of paper and safety?

Guns are just guns not weapons?

same here and air guns had no power restriction back then .

I had a knife earlier than that, from aged about 5 I had a full tool set (chisels, saws, hammers etc). From aged about 9/10 I had BB gun and at 11 a 12ft/lbs air rifle. I joined a rough shoot on my own aged 14. 

Whilst I was always naturally cautious and (relatively) safe I hadn’t realised how dangerous other people could be. For me an airgun became a weapon when John Smith shot Peter Jones in the back of the head outside of our form room and I had to demand it straight back. Decades later I can remember clearly realising how stupid I had been to let someone borrow my old little G10 on the weekend, not thinking that once out of my supervision control they would misuse it and bring it to school on the Monday and on my head it would be. I binned the BBs and had that to empty G10 in my bag all day with a cold sweat worried I’d get caught. I never used the BB guns after that, put them all in the loft and just kept my hunting rifles.

If air guns are licensed now I would apply for a license for my boys and as a parent ensure that they understood it and that it was adhered to, I would take responsibility. Back when I was a child an air gun was almost considered a toy. 

I appreciate this will put the cat amongst the pigeons but I am not anti-licensing, as long as the process is reasonable and not expensive. Imagine how (after an initial peak) the firearms and wildlife offence statistics would plummet if air guns were controlled. 

I am affected by the Scottish licensing as I visit my wife’s family’s estate up on the north coast each year. I used to take my S410 in order to thin out a few rabbits and enjoy the evening sunlight. The devolved system is a pain and so I just take a shotgun instead now. 

Fare to much P C  and electronic gadgets when I was young a long time ago it was woolworths for toy rifle and hat and a spud gun. Got older got a johnny seven then a gat gun and air rifles at eighteen my first shotgun licence and a £26.00 new baikal. I am blessed out of 18 grand children two are active in our sport one of the girls is showing a interest will see. Why should we all have a licence for the idiots give them  compulsory voluntary  work to do at weekends  min of 3 months and more