Is it possible?

59 minutes ago, B725 said:

So why don't you try letting it play with your dog and slowly over  a couple of weeks introduce it to gun fire the correct way.

Exactly wot I was trying to say, or more ideally with a more experienced dog.

But really he should off done this when he 1st got the dog, u don't just take a dog out without assessing it yourself in a controlled way.

That's like a football manager just taking someone's word they can play and putting them straight in the team for a cup game, without ever seeing him kick a ball.

Depends on the keeper but may well have been good to go for how he used it, dogging in and beating where guns are a long way off and plenty off scent and birds about. Not the keepers fault ur mate should off checked and put the training in before taking it shooting

12 hours ago, scotslad said:

Exactly wot I was trying to say, or more ideally with a more experienced dog.

But really he should off done this when he 1st got the dog, u don't just take a dog out without assessing it yourself in a controlled way.

That's like a football manager just taking someone's word they can play and putting them straight in the team for a cup game, without ever seeing him kick a ball.

Depends on the keeper but may well have been good to go for how he used it, dogging in and beating where guns are a long way off and plenty off scent and birds about. Not the keepers fault ur mate should off checked and put the training in before taking it shooting

I did say to my mate about taking up to the clay shoot but he took the keepers word that he was good to go ,hindsight’s a marvellous thing, he’s resigned himself now that he’ll only be used for dogging 

It's up to ur mate but probably if he wanted to put the effort in and start desensitising ur dog to gun shot it might still come good.

But it will take time and possibly 2 folk so can start of at a decent distance.

There is ways to do it.

Never been a fan of the clay shoot approach but many folk do it 

Possibly might work if u start a long way away and do a wee training hunting session getting closer slowly over the weeks, but it wil be a slow job.

Having read through this, i thought i would add a tail about our black Lab Buster, he is solid at gunshot, fireworks, lorry's, car horns well a pretty endless list, but we took him to have his big bits off and he's still solid with all of the above, but drop a tea spoon or a kitchen cupboard door slams in the kitchen while he's having a nod and he jumps up like a jack in the box. I recon while he was under someone in the opp room dropped something. 

On 13/07/2020 at 18:45, Dougy said:

Having read through this, i thought i would add a tail about our black Lab Buster, he is solid at gunshot, fireworks, lorry's, car horns well a pretty endless list, but we took him to have his big bits off and he's still solid with all of the above, but drop a tea spoon or a kitchen cupboard door slams in the kitchen while he's having a nod and he jumps up like a jack in the box. I recon while he was under someone in the opp room dropped something. 

My mates going to have the nads taken of this particular dog ,don’t see it helping much though 

35 minutes ago, sam triple said:

My mates going to have the nads taken of this particular dog ,don’t see it helping much though 

We waited for just under 3 years, thought allot about having him a litter but decided we were not going to, plus we had been having a few issues while picking up. One thing you cant hold back is nature, remember what you were like as a teenager ??? :lol:

He seems to be allot more responsive now, training days are looking good again. 

43 minutes ago, Dougy said:

We waited for just under 3 years, thought allot about having him a litter but decided we were not going to, plus we had been having a few issues while picking up. One thing you cant hold back is nature, remember what you were like as a teenager  

He seems to be allot more responsive now, training days are looking good again. 

👍👍

Dogs are like horses - you have to desentitize them to the point that they just metaphorically shrug their shoulders at thing they don't cant' explain to themselves.  If it were me and I'd bought a dog that had been kennelled most of its life and was half scared of its own shadow (and I've done exactly that in the past) - I'd just take it everywhere with me. Shops, cars, buses even, town, whatever.

Eventually the dog will get accustomed to (and tired of) being startled by new stuff, and become philosophical about it. The key is variation. What you don't want to do is to fixate any one thing in its mind as being scary. When everything is worrying, eventually nothing becomes worrying. So the goal is to expose the dog to everything.