larsen vandals

charlie b

once again had one of my larsen traps kicked in and the call bird released it was well of public land  if the miss guided fools had watched the lapwings that are nesting because of me controlling corvid numbers they may have had second thoughts how ever on a brighter note the ladder trap is set up for crows and catching well baited with eggs which just shows what thet are up to this time of year

Same thing has happened on the shoot my son keepers, released the call bird and damaged a trap, also interfered with his Squirrel traps.

The estate is totally private, there are no footpaths at all,

He has cameras up, and has evidence of trespass on film.........but what do you do ?

From previous experience of this type of behaviour, reporting it to the police is a waste of time, ( in his opinion).

Everything like this should be reported to the police, although I accept it's unlikely that anything will get done in response to the individual incident. 

What it will do is add to the body of evidence that this sort of criminal damage is getting more widespread and police will have to dedicate more resource to it. 

One thing that would be most effective from their end is following up on the clowns that post on the likes of the hunt sabs or moorland monitor twitter and facebooks accounts bragging about this sort of thing. 

I understand that SGA are making moves to change the law in Scotland on this specific crime to increase the penalties for it. 

1 hour ago, Novice said:

Everything like this should be reported to the police, although I accept it's unlikely that anything will get done in response to the individual incident. 

What it will do is add to the body of evidence that this sort of criminal damage is getting more widespread and police will have to dedicate more resource to it. 

One thing that would be most effective from their end is following up on the clowns that post on the likes of the hunt sabs or moorland monitor twitter and facebooks accounts bragging about this sort of thing. 

I understand that SGA are making moves to change the law in Scotland on this specific crime to increase the penalties for it. 

:good:

The police are well aware of how widespread this problem is......they very often tell you that they have attended other instances........but what can they do,

You can give Registration numbers, even show them the film, but I've yet to hear of any positive follow up..........so most keepers don't bother. 

They don't really understand that you are trying to protect other species........in this case Lapwing, Snipe and Curlew.

All the best

Edited by twenty

• 8 months later...
On 27/05/2020 at 17:51, twenty said:

The police are well aware of how widespread this problem is......they very often tell you that they have attended other instances........but what can they do,

You can give Registration numbers, even show them the film, but I've yet to hear of any positive follow up..........so most keepers don't bother. 

They don't really understand that you are trying to protect other species........in this case Lapwing, Snipe and Curlew.

All the best

Can Estates, landowners even smallholders not put up posters explaining why pest control is needed with plenty pics of song birds for the half wit's to relate to, I know it's not the answer but if it gets though to a minority its a start jmho 🙂

On 27/05/2020 at 07:25, twenty said:

Same thing has happened on the shoot my son keepers, released the call bird and damaged a trap, also interfered with his Squirrel traps.

The estate is totally private, there are no footpaths at all,

He has cameras up, and has evidence of trespass on film.........but what do you do ?

From previous experience of this type of behaviour, reporting it to the police is a waste of time, ( in his opinion).

Fence off the land so the idiots can’t trespass on it! 

Saw one farmer recently put up high security metal fencing either side of a footpath going through his fields. 

The locals actually thanked him as they said it reduced idiots parking all over the area and walking wherever they like!